• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    So I've decided I'm getting a bolt action in 223/556. I am looking at shorter truck or scout style guns. My search has brought me to the Mossburg MVP predator or the ruger American ranch rifle. Any opinions on these two rifles? And ONLY these rifle please don't tell me to save my money and get something else because money is not an issue.
    Military Camp

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I bought the Mossberg MVP with the laminated laser engraved stock. I really appreciate it that the rifle uses standard AR-15 magazines and has my favorite 1:9 AR-15 style rifling twist ratio. THAT was a stroke of genius in designing this rifle!

Flash

SwwPlayboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2015
    I had a ruger ranch rifle that I used for the same purpose as you and it never failed. I got rid of it a while back and changed it out for a mini-14 ranch rifle. My purpose for having a truck rifle was in case a varmint or snake came across my way I could pull the rifle and make a quick kill. I changed over to the mini purely cause its a simi-auto, had nothing to do with the bolt action version. Was a great gun.

My wife has a MVP that I got last year at a gun show. I'm always hesitant about buying used guns, but she really wanted a varmint gun and liked it. It shoots straight and true and has never failed her. As others have said, it has a wider variety of mags it can use which has been nice.

Good luck.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    A neighbor invited me to shoot at a local range. He took his AR-15, and I took the Mossberg MVP.

My neighbor got frustrated with his rifle's accuracy. Both rifles had 1 in 9 twists, we both shot the exact same ammo (Federal XM193).

The difference in group sizes was remarkable. The AR-15 printed one inch groups, while the Mossy MVP delivered 1/2 inch at 100 yards.

We swapped rifles, and the results were identical.

Obviously my neighbor learned that HIS rack-grade AR-15 is not as accurate as a bolt gun -- but there are plenty of AR-15 rifles out there that shoot just as good as the Mossy bolt gun.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The difference in group sizes was remarkable. The AR-15 printed one inch groups, while the Mossy MVP delivered 1/2 inch at 100 yards.

i'd hardly call a 1/2" difference between a "rack grade" AR and a bolt gun "remarkable." That's the norm. What IS remarkable is that Mossberg makes a 1/2" bolt gun. LOL

epwrangler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2011
    El Paso, Texass
    I had a mini14. The operative word is had. 390 black is an answer to a question most never ask. Who wants less power than a 223 in 30 cal? It also cost s more to run and next to 308 they are not even close.

gasgas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    S Texas
    The OP said he wanted a truck rifle ,but not what he was planning on shooting at.
    Most 4 legged things don't stand around long enough to rack the bolt and if more than one you probably don't get a second shot in time ,that's what is good about a mini , I have bolt action,AR and mini30 and that's what goes with me now

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom