APOD Firearms

"My 4-year-old gets jacked up to target shoot" mom brags hours before he shoots her

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I (and I'll bet many others on this forum) grew up around unsecured guns, and knew where they were, and knew the rules.

Personally, I find the law a bit ridiculous. Had my first gun cabinet when I was 12 that held my first deer rifle and my first .22 that I had gotten when I was 7 or 8. Ammo was on a shelf in the cabinet. I had the key.

You are right on multiple issues.

A 4 y/o with access to a loaded gun in the back seat of a moving vehicle is agregiously wrong on so many levels.
    She gives all gun owners, by association, a black eye. So wrong.

But, yes, you bring in a fine issue.

How many innumerable bricks of .22 ammo did I shoot wandering pastures gunning for rabbits, water moccasins and the unfortunate random sparrows form age 13 to adulthood.

In retrospect, I wonder how law-breaking negligent I've been dropping off my sons on the way far side of a field with a 12 gauge during dove season when they were 14 and 16??? (just 8 years ago). At that age I trusted them with guns a lot more than I trusted them with my truck, eh???

Once again we, as a society, have to distinguish between a 16 year old responsibly acquiring game or plinking at cans in rural Gillespie County and, quite differently, a 16 year old pointing a gun at a Houston cop.

Gun as tool vs. gun as instrument of death.
    How to have one law equally applicable?

Last edited:

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Now tell us about when you were four?
    Were you allowed unsupervised access to loaded pistols?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh?

All I got from YG's post was we don't need yet another law. Illegal or not, an unsecured weapon in a car is a bad idea. An unsecured weapon in a car within reach of a young child is an even worse idea. Making it illegal seems like yet another "for the children!" law that is about legislating how safely we have to act all the time.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I've seen 4 year olds that could be trusted around an unsecured firearm. And 40 year olds that could not.
    No legislation will change that.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I guess times have changed. My kids didn't require to be in car seats when they were 4.

That's a standard that is getting a little worrisome. I'm waiting for them to pass legislation that says your 15 year old still needs to be in a special harness.

Actually though, I think you were correct. Not entirely sure but the new standards have them in a car seat to like 5 or something. It's weird.

It's worse than that. I think kids are supposed to be in a booster seat until they are 4 feet tall. My older 2 were almost in junior high before they passed 4 feet. My 3rd son is 14 and is 5' 10" and 160lbs. I don't worry about that stuff any more.

20151226_133535_zpsf2fc9a66.jpg

Top Bottom