• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Figured I'd share a funny and humiliating story about myself.

I shot at the Texas Tactical carbine match up in Austin today, used my AK with a Comp M2 and my Sig P226. After running the rifle for a bit, we come to a stage with a transition. Cool, I practiced the crap out of those. I transition, bring the pistol up... focus on the target and simply shoot, dropping two rounds on a limited count stage!

Later, I realized that I've used that AK and Aimpoint so much that I don't even really see the dot anymore, I just look at the target and holes appear where I want them to. Doesn't work as well with a gun that doesn't have optics...

Sights - it turns out they're kind of important.

Other than that, I did pretty good, I think. Had some fast times and good hits. The next stage I shot had a transition, too. I did some pretty solid work with the Sig on that one compared to some of the other shooters. :D
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Sights - it turns out they're kind of important.
    That is what the experts have been telling us for years. I guess it must be true.

The basics must be practiced. Skills degrade fast without practice, even the simplest of things. Glad this happened against a paper target, not something more dangerous.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That is what the experts have been telling us for years. I guess it must be true.

The basics must be practiced. Skills degrade fast without practice, even the simplest of things. Glad this happened against a paper target, not something more dangerous.

No kidding. I haven't had the time to hit the range enough lately. I'll have to try and remedy that.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Is it legal in that particular sport for a red dot handgun sight? That may help your scores and simplify the transition (some).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Is it legal in that particular sport for a red dot handgun sight? That may help your scores and simplify the transition (some).

Probably, it's just a club match. But I don't want to add a red dot to my P226. I'd rather just learn how to shoot it better (which is why I show up to those matches).

Probably the only pistol I'd own and put a red dot on is a FN Tactical.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    There are some spancy red dot sights for pistols out there. . . . but they are as expensive.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Dude, same thing happened to me in MW2 when cap'n price detonates the EMP above the white house. The EOTechs reticle stopped working and I was like "I DON'T NEED THAT SHIT! AAAARRGGGHHHH"

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I wonder sometimes if those pro guys who use dots all the time can shoot with regular sights. I know some of them dip back and forth between the two divisions, but what about the ones that don't.

I'd really like to get into three gun or any other sort of tactical matches like this, maybe I can invest some more time in researching what is around Dallas!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I wonder sometimes if those pro guys who use dots all the time can shoot with regular sights. I know some of them dip back and forth between the two divisions, but what about the ones that don't.

I'd really like to get into three gun or any other sort of tactical matches like this, maybe I can invest some more time in researching what is around Dallas!

Look for a local club match. They're usually a little more relaxed with the rules and it's generally "run what you brung." Sanctioned matches can be awful picky on the gear.

You could try putting out the call in the local forum and see if anybody can hook you up.

Action shooting is a lot of fun. Once you try it, sitting at a bench becomes horribly boring.

Top Bottom