44.4 KB · Views: 318

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    Well you asked, so I will oblige by telling you what I think:

Your holster is too far forward and the forward cant added to that only goes to make a takeaway by an adversary easier while making it tougher for you to retain. I like that you got one with a thumb snap but think about what I just said before I said that. Your thumb snap is there for an assailant to pop open almost without trying while you getting your hand or elbow over it is not impossible but harder for you than for an assailant to grab it. I have always preferred a straight up/down (or close to it) for my outside the waist band holsters (which are almost all of them). I had collateral duties as a firearms instructor for 16 years with my agency and one of the things I taught was weapons retention and another was weapons takeaways. Either take it as good advice or take that with a grain of salt as you please.

I have had assailants attempt to take away my sidearm at least twice in a duke it out, wrestle match, street fight, kicking, gouging, bashing and biting (and I still have a scar from the bite in one fight but kept hold of my weapon that the dirtbag tried to grab and then do what) sort of a thing. I was able to retain my firearms in essentially the same type of holster you are showing; however I did not allow my weapons to jut out forward like that - in effect offering them to my opponents. Nor would I wear it too far back at the point where I would not be able to fairly easily grab/cover it with hand or cover it with forearm or elbow while trying to retain it.

In addition, I find that drawing a handgun with a cant like that is much more unnatural and difficult for me than drawing it from a straight up an down vertical position. I imagine with enough practice it could become second nature but look at where your hand is in that photo of yours and tell yourself - would it be easier for your hand to move straight up to a grip above it or to the grip on the angle it is on in your photo to draw it and or to retain it.

Is it easier for your left hand to draw, sure it is but as I said it is also easier for your assailant to take away. I can effectively draw my weapon from the vertical with my off hand just as I can protect it with my strong hand, my off hand, my strong forearm and my strong elbow.

Oh, as for the loop position on your jeans, if you don't like it where it sits because of where the holster then sits, take it off and have another one or two loops sewn on; or buy and wear different pants. What is more important, where you wear your carry piece or how well those jeans fit you.

As I basically said above, just some food for thought or as they say my two cents; do what you want with it, the decision is yours. Whatever you decide on, you should practice drawing and retention techniques with that holster/gun-type combination. If you use a real gun (which I do not recommend), remember to assure there is no ammo in the gun nor anywhere near it when doing such practice; and bear in mind it is much better and much safer to practice retention and drawing (even takeaway) techniques using a non-firing/un-loadable blue gun sort of a thing).

All the best,
    Glenn B
    Dam good post Glenn!!

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I just bought his last one.

Do not NEED another holster....but I just inherited my Dad's original Colt 1911....beautiful gun....this holster will be good to carry it on the range.
    The Glock one I ordered came in. I like the look of it. May not be an everyday holster but definitely a nice dress up one. The thumb strap has a little metal strip to make it stiffer when you do the thumb break at the snap.

I’m glad you found something nice for it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom