• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    What rating is she going for? I started out as a Nuke Electrician's Mate, but had to drop out of the program due to medical concerns. Went conventional EM, because the A school is the same. I just lucked out getting to go through boot camp and all that in Orlando! They let you shoot a .22 in a 1911 frame, or at least we did. You can go on to get marksman qualified in both pistol and rifle, on your own after you get out of boot camp.
    I believe the title "Chief weapons petty officer" is an official "Honorary" one, but still!

She is going to school for the Quartermasters job.
    Target Sports

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    EDIT for above post:

I was just informed by a friend of mine who was in the Navy, that it is NOT an "Honorary" title, but a real title. She automatically graduates boot camp with an E2 rank. Not including the other things she's doing. She could possibly get an even better rank exiting boot camp theoretically.

I hope they do some type of combatives training, She's going to have some REAL surprises for them if they do (Snicker)!

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    I believe the title "Chief weapons petty officer" is an official "Honorary" one, but still!

She is going to school for the Quartermasters job.

There are recruit titles like that, so that everyone gets used to a chain of command. If its still the same, we had a recruit chief petty officer, recruit master at arms, etc. but, you have to prove yourself to get these positions, so they aren't just given. Her situation proved that as well. This will look favorable on her record.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I give the Navy and Air Force grief but it is what i suggest people do instead of Army or USMC.

Long term it is a better choice for most, better living conditions, better home life, shorter or easier or less frequent deployments (i know that varies but Army deployments are long and Marines deploy often), better career fields and better opportunities AFTER their time in the mil is over.

Great Lakes is a nice base and the Air Force bases ive been to are like college campuses.

Never been on a USMC base and Army bases well...i stayed in barracks from WWI. Suppose a persons service varies widely though by branch, job, years in which you are in and just plain luck.

Exciting stuff for parents to see the kids try to better themselves im sure.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    EDIT for above post:

I was just informed by a friend of mine who was in the Navy, that it is NOT an "Honorary" title, but a real title. She automatically graduates boot camp with an E2 rank. Not including the other things she's doing. She could possibly get an even better rank exiting boot camp theoretically.

I hope they do some type of combatives training, She's going to have some REAL surprises for them if they do (Snicker)!

Never served, so pardon my iignorance. Isnt an E2 a Seaman Apprentice, and Petty Officer starts at E4?

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I give the Navy and Air Force grief but it is what i suggest people do instead of Army or USMC.

Long term it is a better choice for most, better living conditions, better home life, shorter or easier or less frequent deployments (i know that varies but Army deployments are long and Marines deploy often), better career fields and better opportunities AFTER their time in the mil is over.

Great Lakes is a nice base and the Air Force bases ive been to are like college campuses.

Never been on a USMC base and Army bases well...i stayed in barracks from WWI. Suppose a persons service varies widely though by branch, job, years in which you are in and just plain luck.

Exciting stuff for parents to see the kids try to better themselves im sure.

There's quite a few Marine bases that are pretty nice (lucked out and got stationed at Camp Pendleton in so Cal) and a lot of Army bases I've been to were pretty nice. Though I've gotta say the Air Force wins by far when it comes to quality of living. Wouldn't trade the Corps or any of my experiences/deployments for any other branch though.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There's quite a few Marine bases that are pretty nice (lucked out and got stationed at Camp Pendleton in so Cal) and a lot of Army bases I've been to were pretty nice. Though I've gotta say the Air Force wins by far when it comes to quality of living. Wouldn't trade the Corps or any of my experiences/deployments for any other branch though.

I respect that. Most Marines never kicked around which branch to join. Seems they knew from about 12 years old. We are all called to different things and for different purposes. I read recently that in the battle for Tora Bora there were actually Air Force members (probably fire observers or para rescue id imagine) along with SEALS Delta Force and "the agency".

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I respect that. Most Marines never kicked around which branch to join. Seems they knew from about 12 years old. We are all called to different things and for different purposes. I read recently that in the battle for Tora Bora there were actually Air Force members (probably fire observers or para rescue id imagine) along with SEALS Delta Force and "the agency".

To be honest I was actually talking to an Army recruiter first, Navy and Air Force weren't on my radar because I grew up in a Navy area and didn't want sea duty (surprise I did a MEU and ended up on ship for a few months anyways) and just had no attraction to the Air Force. To be honest I ended up going Marine Corps over Army because the Army recruiter just came off as a real scum bag type and the Marine recruiter just carried himself better and wasn't trying to sell me on bonuses, etc. Plus the Dress Blues are the best looking uniform period imho. No disrespect to any other branches though they've all got my love, anyone who doesn't believe we all play a part in a team has never served in any real capacity jmo.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    To be honest I was actually talking to an Army recruiter first, Navy and Air Force weren't on my radar because I grew up in a Navy area and didn't want sea duty (surprise I did a MEU and ended up on ship for a few months anyways) and just had no attraction to the Air Force. To be honest I ended up going Marine Corps over Army because the Army recruiter just came off as a real scum bag type and the Marine recruiter just carried himself better and wasn't trying to sell me on bonuses, etc. Plus the Dress Blues are the best looking uniform period imho. No disrespect to any other branches though they've all got my love, anyone who doesn't believe we all play a part in a team has never served in any real capacity jmo.

Interesting.

I went to the National Guard Armory. They were closed. I came back at the posted time, no one was there, so I figured that wasn't good. I talked with an Army recruiter before 9/11 kind of just kicking the tires, getting some info, then after 9/11 I went back, talked to another recruiter who lied and lied, then finally got one that was straight with me. Recruiting is weird. Their "quotas" are real low but it's seems real stressful. I suppose it's like any duty, some like it and some don't, some thrive and some just get through it.

I went to MEPS planning on doing one thing then when I was told that was all full, I looked for other MOSs with short AITs (so I could finish college on time). I never put in to be an officer though although they recruited me heavily.

I hope the OP sees how military service is pretty well an automatic connection for people and we all share some things in common. If you served then you know this already.

It is definitely something to do when you are young though. I was 22 when I went in and felt bad for the 30+ guys going through basic!

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    To be honest I was actually talking to an Army recruiter first, Navy and Air Force weren't on my radar because I grew up in a Navy area and didn't want sea duty (surprise I did a MEU and ended up on ship for a few months anyways) and just had no attraction to the Air Force. To be honest I ended up going Marine Corps over Army because the Army recruiter just came off as a real s$#@! bag type and the Marine recruiter just carried himself better and wasn't trying to sell me on bonuses, etc. Plus the Dress Blues are the best looking uniform period imho. No disrespect to any other branches though they've all got my love, anyone who doesn't believe we all play a part in a team has never served in any real capacity jmo.
    Yeah, I used to be an instructor for the DoD, The Marines were always the most disciplined classes. My younger daughter (Miss "V" is 15) wants to join the Marines when she gets out of HS. I asked her why the Marine corps? She said, "Because they will let me play with guns and explosives":eek::p.

Miss "V" is actually far better trained, and a better shot than Miss "K". She will do well in the Marines!

She is passionate about the Marine Corps. When she was 12, she did a "Wax Museum" project on GySgt. Carlos Hathcock (I still have the pics). She even read all his books! She's a 4.5 GPA in school, and is passionate about math (go figure), Why? Because that's how she figures out ballistics! She has made the comment to me from time-to-time, "Do the math". Funny kid! (Ahehheh, uh....). She's no joke.

I have friends who tell me that I don't raise kids, I raise SpecOps soldiers! :p I'm good with that!

At least my Daughters can take care of themselves.

Last edited:

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    Never served, so pardon my iignorance. Isnt an E2 a Seaman Apprentice, and Petty Officer starts at E4?

Yep, if you are speaking for official rank. But, a command structure is in place even in boot camp among recruits, so there are recruit titles like that to designate the structure and get these kids used to the idea.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yep, if you are speaking for official rank. But, a command structure is in place even in boot camp among recruits, so there are recruit titles like that to designate the structure and get these kids used to the idea.

I get that, but I thought I read here that she would come out of basic a PO?

You know what, never mind. Sorry to distract from the OP's daughter and her accomplishments.

"As you were".

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Miss "V" is actually far better trained, and a better shot than Miss "K". She will do well in the Marines!

She is passionate about the Marine Corps. When she was 12, she did a "Wax Museum" project on GySgt. Carlos Hathcock (I still have the pics). She even read all his books! She's a 4.5 GPA in school, and is passionate about math (go figure), Why? Because that's how she figures out ballistics! She has made the comment to me from time-to-time, "Do the math". Funny kid! (Ahehheh, uh....). She's no joke.

I have friends who tell me that I don't raise kids, I raise SpecOps soldiers! :p I'm good with that!

At least my Daughters can take care of themselves.

No doubt Dad is a good guy, but it is Mom I'm tipping my hat to! ;)

Have two daughters myself so I know how you feel. Congratulations.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    a5anu4ag.jpg

Heres a famous Marine.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics