• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    GOOD GRIEF.. I don't know how I missed this before... just glad I found it now..

without question one of the most uplifting posts i've read on our TGT.. Dragunov you said she had a pending "A" school, in what rating, and where?.. Has the computer age come to boot camp (ie can she email you, or still pen and paper)..

went through Great Lakes in Feb 67, (24 years after my Dad).. never on board a ship, (VP 26 ASW Squadon), this old sailor will keep your daughter in his prayers (not said lightly) and check for your updates on a regular schedule.. you did good Dad..
    Texas SOT

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    Karlac:

I would like to take this opportunity to give kudos to my wife, Mrs."K".

When we met, Miss "V" was still in diapers, and Miss "K" was JUST five. Mrs. "K" told me she wanted me to teach the girls every thing I know, and that she would assist if needed, if she could, and would never interfere with any of the teaching. She has kept her word. She has let me put the girls in unsafe, and sometimes dangerous (but supervised) situations time and time again, and has never said a word about it.

Most women wouldn't do that, so SHE get's the bulk of the credit.

My Dad (The Gunney) told me when I was a young' un, that he wanted me to pass along the things he taught me, to my kids, because he said " Old school "Scout" is a dying art". (He trained Scout Snipers for Vietnam, out of Quantico Va.)

So this is what I am doing. HE gets a bulk of the credit also.

Last edited:

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    GOOD GRIEF.. I don't know how I missed this before... just glad I found it now..

without question one of the most uplifting posts i've read on our TGT.. Dragunov you said she had a pending "A" school, in what rating, and where?.. Has the computer age come to boot camp (ie can she email you, or still pen and paper)..

went through Great Lakes in Feb 67, (24 years after my Dad).. never on board a ship, (VP 26 ASW Squadon), this old sailor will keep your daughter in his prayers (not said lightly) and check for your updates on a regular schedule.. you did good Dad..

She is looking to be Quartermaster. Right across the street from her boot camp.

We, as a family can not express our gratitude enough for yours, and every one else's support.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    She has let me put the girls in unsafe, and sometimes dangerous (but supervised) situations time and time again, and has never said a word about it.

Most women wouldn't do that, so SHE get's the bulk of the credit.
    While I image not as intense as the situations you are referring to, I took my (step)daughter up a rock incline in the Smokies. Might have been 45^ but we were having a ball. I looked down at my (now ex)wife and because SHE was afraid of heights she motioned for us to come down. I turned around and played with the kid.

Kudos to you, The Mrs., and initially your dad. Y'all are doing it right. :flag:

PS: doing it right means raising two awesome women ;)

Last edited:

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    Miss "K" called today. She is now E2.
    smile.gif
    She said her div. (913) is doing well, and short a couple inspections, are very close to earning "Recruit heaven", where they get time off to go watch TV, play video games, have internet access, "set on a REAL COUCH!" (Miss "K" is happy about that).

I don't quite know what that is, but I hope they succeed.

She said some of the the 914th recruits, got caught passing notes between barracks (fraternizing), and "Mattress surfing". They got busted, and got themselves ASMO'd. Apparently, this is a very, bad thing
    eek.gif

She chewed out some of the recruits under her for trying to involve themselves in the drama. She told them to "LEAVE IT! This ISN'T F*%&*ING HIGH SCHOOL! GROW the HELL UP!" She kept her group out of trouble.

Looks like she's becoming a pretty good leader.
    smile.gif

Miss "K" has settled into her new job as weapon PO, and seems to be content, at least with that part. BTW.... She does NOT like boot camp. She says "it's for training, you're not supposed to like it."

She seems to have matured considerably. Her attitude towards it seems to be good, and in focus.

She says "Thanks for the prayers and support".

Just thought you'd like an update.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Dragonuv,

I can just imagine how proud you are. Will you tell her for me that a father of a soon to be 18 year old daughter thinks the world of Miss K, and appreciates her?

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    We appreciate the updates.. I have a feeling this will be n interesting on going thread. Can't wait for your march in review, and graduate post.. Hope you're going to be able to make that.. you have every reason to be a proud dad..

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    We appreciate the updates.. I have a feeling this will be n interesting on going thread. Can't wait for your march in review, and graduate post.. Hope you're going to be able to make that.. you have every reason to be a proud dad..
    I hope I can make it. I had a heart attack a few months back (not a serious one), but was off work for quite a bit, and funding is an issue. Plane tickets are expensive. I'll keep posting updates though.

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    Did a quick check of Hotwire for a flight from Austin to Ohare and round trip flights are about $300. I picked the week of Feb 16-22 as a date. Figured that was close to her graduation. Just to give you an idea!

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    I hope I can make it. I had a heart attack a few months back (not a serious one), but was off work for quite a bit, and funding is an issue. Plane tickets are expensive. I'll keep posting updates though.

If you can make it, it would mean a lot to her. My wife and I drove up to see our son graduate at Great Lakes four years ago. They graduate close to a thousand kids a week and it's very impressive. Have your wife check into Navy Mom's. It's a good way to keep up with their progress through out thier entire enlistment. There are tons of good hotels around the base and rates are fair.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Did a quick check of Hotwire for a flight from Austin to Ohare and round trip flights are about $300. I picked the week of Feb 16-22 as a date. Figured that was close to her graduation. Just to give you an idea!

Impressive, and considerate post piper.. this thread is great.

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    Sorry I haven't done any posting lately. Been REALLY busy.

Well, Miss "K" graduated boot camp this past weekend. Mrs. K got to go to the graduation. (Thank you, dvmpiper and dsukid, you gave valuable info!) I stayed home with Miss "V", our GSD and three cats.

Miss "V" and I will be going to visit Miss "K" in a few weeks.

Miss "K" said that looking back on it, boot camp wasn't that bad, and hell week was actually not bad.

She graduated E2, and carried the New Mexico flag for graduation. She said "Thanks to all" for their support and prayers.

Here are a couple pics!

Attachments

• formal kel.jpg
      formal kel.jpg
      20.4 KB · Views: 96
    • kel.jpg
      kel.jpg
      30.8 KB · Views: 112

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Congrats! Whether she decides to stay in for the long haul or decides to get out after her contract is up, she's definitely made a good decision joining either way. Sounds like she's liking it pretty well so far.

Top Bottom