APOD Firearms

My dog got skunked (literally) - help please!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Short hair or long hair dog
    Long hair os easier OF you wash ASAP. Short hair you likely to not get it out. The oils in the skunk perfume soak in to the dogs skin. So long hair helps but ya got to be real quick.

Other than that Tick Tock is all ya got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    To All,

I once had my English Pointer get WELL SPRAYED. = 40 bucks worth to tomato juice, dish soap & used coffee grounds later, he still smelled just as SKUNKY but with a tomato/soap/coffee smell, too.
    TIME is the ONLY answer that i know that works.

IF you dog gets SKUNKED a 2nd time, he is qualified to enter/attend/graduate from Texas A&M.

yours,, satx
    FANATIC ORANGEBLOOD
    Once in far more halcyon days one of our pointers actually jumped a skunk while we were quail hunting. He foamed at the mouth and rolled around on the ground in thick grass and weeds. Unbelievably he pointed quail 15 minutes later. He still stunk like the dickens and my father had me put him in his pen when we got home and wouldn't go near him until he smelled a little better. We did go hunting the next weekend. The two bulls in the pen with the dog kept their distance too.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I worked in research labs for many years, and the odor of mercapto compounds is not as offensive to me as to some, an acquired tolerance, but it's still a matter of concentration...

I use Top Performance Fresh Pet Shampoo to bathe my rough coat Border Collie; it has a strong and long lasting smell that comes out on a wet dog even after a month.

For skunk, I've had good success with hydrogen peroxide and Fresh Pet, such that the dog is well wetted and sudsy and left for 10 minutes, before rinsing and rewashing with Fresh Pet.

Must say though, that Buddy doesn't ever get a full spray, he's too smart to get that close, but not quite smart enough to realize just how far that skunk can shoot!
    20151217_102124.jpg

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    My grandparents had a standard Collie when I was little. She was pretty adept at killing skunks and she loved it, would quarter them from the front, grab them by the head and snap their neck. She would occasionally miss, she would spend the week after those times outside....

ronbwolf

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    No real cure, besides what everyone else has said, but it will make "you" feel better to go out at night and kill every skunk you can find. I live in the country, skunks, racoons, and porcupines are Shoot On Sight!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Sand Hills

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Seguin
    One of my cats got sprayed. I didn't have any tomato juice but being summer I had lots of fresh tomatoes from my garden, so I just cut them into pieces and rubbed them all over her until she was soaked in tomato juice. Then I washed her in dish soap. Worked like a champ, got all the smell out except one tiny patch on her head just above her eyes, which I probably just missed because I was being careful around her eyes.

And no she did NOT like the process, but she was a gentle cat, she didn't fight me, she just yowled piteously.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I had a an Alaskan Malamute that loved to kill animals. He would get sprayed every week or so. The smell did not bother him at all.

I tried every concoction with no success.

That’s when I became a skunk trapper and eradicated them from the ranch I leased. I shot them with a 22 while they were in the trap.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom