My dog is sick

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by dbgun, Oct 27, 2009.

1. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    We got a beautiful Lab a couple of months ago. I have really gotten attach to this dog. His dog tags came off his collar and the previous owner couldn’t remember the place where the lab had his shots. I decided to go ahead and take him to the Vet, to get him a complete checkup. Well he came up positive for Heartworms. I have him on some vitamins for 10 days before he starts his 3 injection treatment. I think he’ll be ok, but only time will tell. Has anybody had their dog go through this treatment? I’ve been reading up on this problem, but would like to hear some firsthand experience.

View attachment 1360

2. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Best of luck to you & your dog! Mine means the world to me!

3. Hawghauler

Hawghauler Active Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    I hope your dog gets better.

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    My wife recalls a conversation with the vet about heartworms a few years back. She thinks he said it was $250 to treat the dog and would require an overnight stay.

When the vet walked out, another customer said their dog has had heartworms for 10 years.

5. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have not had to treat one for heart worms after they had contracted them. But if you remember a while back I had to put one of my dogs down because she was to far gone from heart worms to treat and the treatment would have killed her slowly. Now My other two are on preventive treatment for the nasty little worms after they both tested negative. I wish you and your dog the best and I'm glad yall caught it before it was to late.

6. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Heart worms are problematic in some breeds and others it's doesn't seem to affect that much.
    That's a large dog and young, treatment would be a good option.
    The cure is the same compound as the preventive but different strengths.
    In some dogs it makes them very sick and in other mildly sick.
    I wish you luck; I've been there and done that - best wishes!!!!

7. Skip

Skip TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Really hope everything works out ok, Our pets are an important part of out lives....sending positive thoughts...

8. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Best wishes getting your pup healthy.

Chester's clean for them and we keep him on a monthly preventative, Revolution. Done so since we brought him home from the breeder. It's solid.

9. Tass

Tass New Member

Feb 28, 2009
    db,

PM sent.

Tass

10. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Tass,

PM replied to.