Join TexasGunTalk

My EDC is a snubnose 357. Opinions on best SD ammo?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by iGun_TX, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:59 PM.

1. iGun_TX

iGun_TX New Member

Feb 26, 2018
    NW Houston
    Yes, I know there are better guns, but for my specific day to day activities (and need for deep concealment), I have gone from carrying a subcompact 9mm daily, to having a 2" snubnose as a backup...but now my backup has become my main gun and my 9 is usually my backup.

Anyway, back to my original question..does anyone have any opinions on the best ammo for self defense in this type of gun?

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't trust several of the "premium" brands. Am I the only one who puts this much thought into this?

Some of the premium hollow points I've seen gel tests on YouTube, you might as well be shooting a FMJ for half the price. Zero expansion, over penetration, etc...Needless to say, if I am ever faced with a threat in real life, I need better results than that.

Granted, I understand that YouTube gel tests are only as reliable as the person making the video, among other factors.

But for example one brand that I just do not feel confident with at all anymore, is pretty much anything by Federal (Hydra-Shok, etc..). I've seen enough to know that this is simply not a good option for me in any caliber.

I have been carrying 38+P in Remington Golden Sabre for about a year now, but am having a hard time finding those in quantities less than a few hundred in that caliber. I switch out my carry ammo usually at the end of each summer.

So I'll probably be switching to Critical Defense in 357 in a few months.

But to be honest, I don't know if it is worth it to carry a magnum caliber in a snubnose, because you are not going to get anywhere near magnum velocities in a revolver less than 4". I'd rather stick with 38+P, if possible.

Speer Gold Dot is usually my go-to for any self defense ammo but I can NOT find it anywhere in 38+P.

Yes, I sit around pondering things like this for days at a time haha.

Pretty sure there are other threads on this, so feel free to point me in the direction.

2. Big Green

Big Green Active Member

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    ZX9RCAM likes this.
  3. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

4. Longhorn1986

Longhorn1986 Active Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    I carry Barnes 125gr TAC-XP in my Model 60.

Regarding the .357 vs .38 in a snubbie debate, take a look at Paul Harrell's video:

5. MikePotts

MikePotts Active Member Lifetime Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hill Country
    I carry the .38sp +P Buffalo Bore 158gr semi wadcutters- sure hope they'll work :)

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  6. Frank59

Frank59 New Member

May 14, 2018
    Houston
    I carry a S@W 686 plus 7 shot 357! I use Remington 125 Grain Jacketed Hallow Points! I also like Federal Personal Defense 158 grain JHP! Hornady has some good stuff as well!! There may be better guns but the reliability and firepower of a magnum revolver is a huge sense of security for me personally! Good Luck sir!!

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Can't hardly beat a 686....

8. TxStetson

TxStetson TGT Addict

May 9, 2013
    Abilene
    While I agree with your assessment that you won’t be getting Magnum velocities from a snubby, I don’t understand your reasoning for using anything slower. Let’s look at it this way. Instead of 357 Magnum velocities, you’ll be getting 38 +p or 38 spcl velocities out of your revolver. If you start with 38 +p ammo, you can expect to drop to 38 spcl velocities or maybe even lower.

iGun_TX likes this.
  9. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Active Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth

Paul doesn't shoot ballistic gel, which is why I like his reviews. He shoots meat targets which much more simulate shooting a body of any animal than the gel does.

seeker_two likes this.
  10. iGun_TX

iGun_TX New Member

Feb 26, 2018
    NW Houston
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback. I didn't think I'd formulated my questions very well, but I think I got all the answers I was looking for.

Mine is a 2.25" Ruger SP101.