My Experience At Texas Gun Shows, Austin, Oct 17th.

Discussion in 'Austin' started by TXPTuff, Oct 17, 2009.

1. TXPTuff

TXPTuff New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Round Rock, TX, USA
    This may be removed at the prerogative of the moderators, but I'm going to post it anyway. I don't want people to get cheated. I love gun shows, but this one left me more than disappointed.

I just got back from the Texas Gun Shows event in Austin, TX. What a huge rip off. I should have known something was up when the parking lot is less than half full. Went in and asked the cashier if there were any vendors in there that dealt in grips. She said there were some, but she couldn't say for sure which were there. All I had to do was pay $7.00 and I could run in there and take a look. $7.00 and 5 minutes later I was back out asking for a refund or free admission to next month's show. The place is more than half empty and only 2 or 3 dedicated gun vendors. A few independent weekender and trinket vendors thrown in for good measure. After talking with the cashier, promoter's right hand man and the promoter, I was told no to the refund and that I was the only unhappy customer they've had. Three times I got the excuses that it was Texas-Oklahoma weekend, they didn't have time to put together a show, the vendors went to the Waco show, Saxet lost their lease and we good guys are stepping in to host the monthly show. To quote the promoter, "I have to pay the lease." The promoter is in for the quick buck and doesn't mind cheating their customers. Take my story at face value as it is just my experience. Do NOT go to Texas Gun Show's event in Austin this week or any other week in my opinion. Maybe the promoter will offer me a refund or free admission once he comes to his senses.

2. Texas Bulldog

Texas Bulldog Active Member

Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    No offense but its 7bux.

I went to the last show looking for 10mm ammo... so if they didn't have 10mm ammo I should of got my money back?

and yeah, its a huge football rivalry weekend. People are going to have attention focused elsewhere.

3. TXPTuff

TXPTuff New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Round Rock, TX, USA
    Well, I was lead to believe it was a real gun show and that more than likely they had vendors for the item I was looking for. I was in there for 5 minutes. It's not like I browsed the tables for an hour and then asked for my money back. The whole show would have taken me 15 minutes with a bathroom break. Small show. Guess that is why they took your money at the outer doors before you could see what was inside. Heck, if the guy would have given me 1/2 back rather than giving me a list of excuses and then the 'tough $heet' attitude, I'd only be angry at myself for not exercising a little caution.

If the vendors were taking the weekend off, I'd understand, but they are attending other shows. I can guess why.

BTW. Go OU!!!

4. charlie-6

charlie-6 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    central texas
    Left the austin gun show, nothing to see-buy saxton lost their leese, wish i had my 7.00 back, they should pay me 7.00 just to come in.

5. CALI

CALI Active Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    Totally agree...I was disappointed as well especially no one looked familiar:( to bullshit with. It looks like I am going to Waco or SA from now on. Even though they tell you that the $7.00 fee includes Sunday's. I don't think I'm coming back, lesson learned.

6. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Well that sux that there wasn't much there or you didn't get your money back.

7. jdh

jdh Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    It is Texas/OU weekend. Saxet lost their lease and Texas had less than two weeks to put together and unscheduled event. Vendors had other plans for the weekend or other shows already scheduled. Many vendors have their shows planned a year in advance.

Cut them a little slack. They did the best they could with the time they had.

8. biglucky

biglucky Well-Known TGT Supporter

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Yeah but that slack needs to go both ways.. if they know they put together a crap show on short notice then there isn't much reason to charge people 7 bucks...

9. Gator5713

Gator5713 New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Aggieland
    Hmm, well, I guess I'm glad I was busy and couldn't make it over there! I didn't know that Saxet had lost the lease and its a 100 mile drive for me... Maybe they will get the show back up to snuff soon...

10. TexasR.N.

TexasR.N. Active Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    I went to the Ft. Worth gun show last week and have probably been to my last. The ammo was more expensive than it is at the retail shops, used gun prices higher than new. An example of this was a Ruger 10/22. Bought one this past Friday at academy for 189.00 plus tax. The cheapest one I found at the Ft. Worth gun show 240.00. Bought a Mosin Nagant for 100.00 at a pawn shop, one of equal quality at the gun show...200.00

And then there were the vendors....A few were nice to talk to and quickly answered questions. The others couldn't have been bothered. Arrogant seems about the best adjective I can come up with.

BTW the Waco gun show is the same as the Ft. Worth gun show. I heard several vendors talking about how they would be in Waco next weekend (this weekend now).

I'll chock up the $8.00 I paid to get in as a lesson learned and look around locally and try out some of the internet ammo sale sites.

Again, this is just one man's opnion......

Craig