• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    The salesman at Gander Mountain told me that Kimber is the only gun truly made in the USA. Does that influence anyone to favor Kimber over other 1911 makers?
    ARJ Defense ad

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    well you're reasoning behind 9mm 1911s not being "real 1911s" is because its not chambered in .45acp, i mean, do any die hard 1911 fan these days even know john m browning personally?
    Uhm ... OK.

Glad I have a G17 that's as close to a "real Glock" as you can get these days - even if it's not the 1982 design.

Not sure what the curtain rods have to do with anything, but it's an interesting fact. Browning and Colt had some duds in their history as firearms designers, but noone holds it against them. :rolleyes:

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    well you're reasoning behind 9mm 1911s not being "real 1911s" is because its not chambered in .45acp, i mean, do any die hard 1911 fan these days even know john m browning personally?

I suppose it's possible that some people still alive actually knew John Browning, but anybody with an internet connection can download his original drawings.

Look, a 9mm is not a true 1911, there are several differences aside from just barrel diameter. It is a '1911 style' pistol. Just as a Kimber is a 1911 clone. And an XD could arguably be called a Glock/1911 clone.

If that offends you, well, I don't know what to say. I am not a 1911 purist, and I couldn't care less what somebody else carries or uses for personal defense. I want each of my weapons to be as good as they can possibly be. There have been several changes to Browning's original design, and some have been improvements while others have been worthless. The Beaver-tail or Bobbed are definitely improvements, while the full length guide rod and Swartz firing pin safety are superfluous.

Back to the original poster and away from the trolls, a 9mm 1911 can be a good compromise, as long as you know what you are compromising. Steel plate shooting with a 9mm will tend to be embarrassing. Ammo is much cheaper. Accuracy is about the same. .45 and 9mm with quality self defense ammo have both more than proved themselves. If recoil is one of your concerns, the 1911 platform is one of the ones where it is least applicable. The 1911 stands recoil very well, and a full size 1911 in .45 will often have less felt recoil than a full sized Glock or XD in 9mm.

I personally prefer the 1911 in .45, but am also about to purchase a Kimber Aegis in 9mm because I want one.

The great(or worst) part of 1911's, is no matter what you choose first, it most likely will not be your last.

Enjoy the new addiction. It can be costly, but it sure is fun.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com

I haven't made any statements about what constitutes a "true" 1911.

Personally, I associate it first as being a large single-stack pistol chambered in .45ACP, and also associate it with .38 super and occasionally 10mm. Obviously, there are 9mm 1911s that are clearly not the closely-related Hi-Power design. Like all old "open source" designs, it has evolved considerably over the years. Much like AR-pattern and AK-pattern rifles, the design is probably better thought of as "1911-pattern" since the many designs out there share a great deal of commonality but sill vary considerably.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    I suppose it's possible that some people still alive actually knew John Browning, but anybody with an internet connection can download his original drawings.
    care to help this little troll out since im having trouble doing what you just said is possible. being a bit technical aren't we? how the 1911 pistol has evolved caliber wise doesnt really dictate how "authentic" it is, given the fact that the characteristics and design are still the same, down to the grip angle and safety features. an xd wouldnt be called a 1911 since it does not have the same grip angle nor is it a single action pistol. how would you put the two in the same category? because it has a grip safety?

however i would agree other styles such as double stacks and para ordnance LDA triggers would be pushing the line..

Porter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Houston
    Does any of this really matter one damn bit?

To the OP, get whatever floats your boat, and ignore anyone that looks down on you for it. They're just little people with nothing better to do, and since life kills us all in the end, it just aint worth worrying about them.

On another note, ignore anyone who preaches the shortcomings of any firearm, without admitting the shortcomings of the one(s) in their hand/holster/safe/etc. Anyone who answers the question, "Which is better, firearm a or firearm b?", without asking you numerous questions about what you plan to do with said firearm is a fool.

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    Thanks for all the comments. I have to admit that I like the .45 1911 better than the 9mm. I'll think about it some more, look at them some more, and hold them some more. When the time comes, I think I will know which one to get.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    Thanks for all the comments. I have to admit that I like the .45 1911 better than the 9mm. I'll think about it some more, look at them some more, and hold them some more. When the time comes, I think I will know which one to get.

That's the most important part, of whatever gun, whatever caliber, whatever manufacturer you go with. Make sure it feels right to you. The rest are just details that you can work out later.

Choose what feels right to you; Keep us posted on what you decide. The 1911 bug really isn't all that bad, it's just gets kind of expensive.

Regards,
    Kerbouchard

Top Bottom