• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I went to the range again this evening (Friday). I went to get some more practice on my shooting form, concentrating on the Low Ready position that I was taught. It was good timing. The Shiloh folks said that a Hoffners group was shooting tactical and invited me to stick my nose in and see what was going on. I didn't know anything about Hoffners, but I jumped at the chance to see more advanced tactical work. I strapped on my stock Sig retention holster and went to take a look.

When I walked into the range area, an instructor was timing a student's draw and fire. He was trying to qualify to be on some elite team. He drew, fired, and hit the target in about .7 seconds. I was amazed. The stopped to introduce themselves to me and show be the rules of a Hot Range. Then they asked if I wanted a try a timing. I felt inadequate in the presence of long experience and superior speed, but I wanted to learn something. The took time to show me proper stance and their style of shooting.

I practice a few times then took the timing test. I drew, fired, and hit the target in 1.3 seconds. They told me that was pretty good for a new shooter and that I could do even better if I used a different holster. I was so happy. I felt like I had accomplished something. They showed me a different style of the Low Ready stance where the weak hand is placed high on the chest before draw. I practiced coming from the Low Ready stance and firing two times before reaching my breaking point on the draw.

We spent a while working on things like that. Then they invited me to fire their guns. I got to fire two 1911's. The first was a 10mm. The second was a .45. I don't recall the exact names because I was too excited. I do remember hearing the phrase X5 and Tactical to describe one of the guns. When I fired them, it was a completely different experience than my Sig P239. The recoil was greater, but the trigger was quick and smooth. I liked the quick trigger because I naturally have a light touch. To my surprise, I hammered two consecutive rounds through the same hole. It was a fantastic way to top off an evening of mixing it up with advanced shooters.
    Hurley's Gold

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    dangg leeroy, i knew it wouldnt be long before you caught the 1911 bug. the firearm of mine that i let you fire is also a 1911 but its chambered in 9mm. a lot more mild and controllable. hoffner's style is a bit different then our tues/wed night class (farnam style) but im glad you had the chance to exp it since i have yet to be able to join them on a friday. glad you enjoyed it brother.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    1911's truly are great guns. A lot of people give them a bad wrap since the design is nearly 100yrs old. To me, that is a testament as to just how great a platform they are, in that they are STILL around and still gettin 'er done nearly 100yrs later!

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    1911's truly are great guns. A lot of people give them a bad wrap since the design is nearly 100yrs old. To me, that is a testament as to just how great a platform they are, in that they are STILL around and still gettin 'er done nearly 100yrs later!

The 1911 strikes me as a decent pistol within the limitations of its aging design. Relative to most newer designs, they are inherently more expensive to produce, have more parts, are less reliable, and require more maintenance. The 1911 does well in pistol competitions, but at the expense of higher maintenance with significant downtime - like track cars vs more pedestrian "daily drivers" that keep on going with little maintenance but offer a less memorable driving experience.

I've handled and fired all of one 1911 (a mid-range Springfield). While I did better with it than my G21, the experience wasn't the overwhelming near-religious experience it is for some.

I don't hate the 1911, but I feel that it's severely overrated. Part of it is probably the fact that I associate it with loudmouth fatass jerks at the range. This type of guy proclaims the 1911 and .45ACP to be the pinnacle of firearms development yet can barely stay on a standard silhouette target at twenty feet. They loudly and regularly deride "tupperware blasters" as unreliable junk - practically in the same sentence mentioning the feed problems they keep dealing with and how much money they've been dropping at the 'smith. In the meantime, I've stayed mostly on the paper using an 8" diameter circle target at thirty-plus feet with my "tupperware blaster" that runs flawlessly with zero smith time after thousands of rounds.

After saying all of that, I still might acquire a 1911 someday... but it will probably never be my "go to" weapon in a SHTF situation and certainly won't be "tuned" such that its reliability decreases.

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    Your prophecy came true, htxred. I caught the 1911 bug, but I didn't expect it so early. I remember firing your 1911. It was my first visit to Shiloh. I was so inexperienced, that I couldn't appreciate it. Now, after a whopping 2 2 weeks under my belt (LOL), I am beginning to understand. Emphasize BEGINNING to understand.

idleprocess, I hear you about loudmouthed braggarts. They come in all models. Maybe those braggarts are trying to convince themselves of something.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    The 1911 strikes me as a decent pistol within the limitations of its aging design. Relative to most newer designs, they are inherently more expensive to produce, have more parts, are less reliable, and require more maintenance. The 1911 does well in pistol competitions, but at the expense of higher maintenance with significant downtime - like track cars vs more pedestrian "daily drivers" that keep on going with little maintenance but offer a less memorable driving experience.

I've handled and fired all of one 1911 (a mid-range Springfield). While I did better with it than my G21, the experience wasn't the overwhelming near-religious experience it is for some.

I don't hate the 1911, but I feel that it's severely overrated. Part of it is probably the fact that I associate it with loudmouth fatass jerks at the range. This type of guy proclaims the 1911 and .45ACP to be the pinnacle of firearms development yet can barely stay on a standard silhouette target at twenty feet. They loudly and regularly deride "tupperware blasters" as unreliable junk - practically in the same sentence mentioning the feed problems they keep dealing with and how much money they've been dropping at the 'smith. In the meantime, I've stayed mostly on the paper using an 8" diameter circle target at thirty-plus feet with my "tupperware blaster" that runs flawlessly with zero smith time after thousands of rounds.

After saying all of that, I still might acquire a 1911 someday... but it will probably never be my "go to" weapon in a SHTF situation and certainly won't be "tuned" such that its reliability decreases.

hey, you're not being fair at all. 1911s have a lot of metal on metal moving parts, so it comes all the way down to how the parts where made and fitted, thus regulating how well they perform. Yes, 1911s require more hands on maintaining for it to run properly, and glock pretty much is the best "out the box" combat weapon, but thats just the way it was designed, to be a gunfighters gun. and i believe the 1911 was designed to be a shooter's gun. not all 1911s are designed to be shot the way glocks are.. but i hear you on those joe blows who dont know what the hell they're talking about. lozl

not every 1911 out there is going to give you problems, just like not every glock out there is going to run 100%. my STI has well over 4000 rnds through it so far and i bought it in april/may of 08, only problems i have is i have shitty mags :p

so im short, comes down to the manufacture IMO. i would not buy a kimber these days, i would rather get a springfield. but if my budget allowed it, i'd opt for a STI and or a sig 1911.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    IMO, 1911's are alright, their capacity is a big turnoff though, 7 rounds doesn't cut it. I got to play with both a Kimber Desert Warrior and an HK45 at the gun show recently. I'd pick the HK45 over the Kimber everytime, 10 rounds for the HK45 vs 7 for Kimber Desert Warrior. There's just something about holding an HK45 that seems more natural than holding a Kimber. FN also has a 45 out that holds 15 rounds of 45!!!!!! and FN might or is coming out with a threaded barrel for its FNP-45 to put a can on it!!!!!! I was at Blackhawk range the other day for my transition course for semi-auto's and out of the 9 Glocks there, one had a broken extractor and firing pin problems and two others had feeding problems. These Glocks were only a few years old also. My HK has not given me any problems in over 3400 rounds through her so far (knock on wood ). When I do get a 45 it'll probably be the HK45 first then FNP and finally a Kimber, haven't seen any Kimber's with a can on them.....

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those guys that thinks the 1911 was God's gift to firearms. Though everyone has to admit, for sticking around for nearly 100yrs, it's pretty impressive. They are or at least can be (depending on the manufacturer) good guns, not the best, but certainly not the worst.

Many people complain about ammo capacity. That's why there are these:

43_big.jpg

Seriously, I mean Chip Mccormick mags are excellent quality, it doesn't protrude a whole lot from the frame of the gun, and at 10rds they make a 1911 perfectly sufficient in the mag capacity area. 7rds does suck. Whatever 1911 I buy in the future, I plan on having nothing but CMC 10 rounders.

I haven't shot many 1911s, but the ones I have didn't disappoint me. I wouldn't say they all impressed the heck out of me or anything. However the bone stock Kimber Custom II that Texas1911 had was an excellent gun as far as the whole performance factor goes. It shot like a laser beam, shots were always dead on at POA. Wasn't the be all and end all, but still great guns.

The FNP-45 has a 2x4 grip just like the G21. I definitely wasn't impressed when I handled one. Para Ordnance makes the P14 double stack 1911 that is a 14 rounder, and those things feel thinner than the FNP-45 from what I can remember.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    1911s have a lot of metal on metal moving parts, so it comes all the way down to how the parts where made and fitted, thus regulating how well they perform.

That is one of the important factors on the 1911 - they require extensive fitting unlike newer designs that achieve good accuracy and lockup without tolerances too tight for mass production.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    MAG-263.gif

Mag capacity is not a problem.Some 1911s are picky about mags and ammo and a little tweaking is usually needed.I have ten 1911s and have only had major problems with one.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Mag capacity is not the greatest argument against 1911's either. Para-Ordnance has been making high capacity 1911's for some time. They have 12, 14 and 16 round .45's out there (yes the grips are wider, but even my wife can handle them). I just bought a 3 1/2" compact 1911 they made that holds 12+1 of .45. My Sig P220 only holds 8, and all my other 1911 mags are only 8 rounders but several higher end makers offer double stack 1911's. STI is one that comes to mind right off. Besides that, I'll take 1 or 2 well placed shots of almost any centerfire caliber .380 or larger over being able to spray 10 or more rounds of similar caliber in a SHTF life on the line situation. That being said, I don't carry a 1911 but they are my main range guns. I am accurate enough to bet my life with my Sigs and tupperwares, but I am even more accurate with my 1911's punching paper. I'm not dedicated to the .45 or the 1911, but damn, they really are something fantastic.

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    1911itis is a good way to put. I am indeed stricken. I blame it on those advanced shooter show twisted my arm and just made me fire their 1911.

Today, on the way home from the range, I went to Gander Mountain to look at its selection of 1911s. My eyes lit up when I saw the Sig 1911. I held it and it felt tight and well-balanced. He salesman also showed me a Kimber .45 that that has a .22 conversion kit. I found that very interesting.

I'd like to raise two items for opinions: Item 1: Who do you think makes the best 1911? Item 2: Does a 1911 in 9mm tarnish the 1911 tradition? If I walked into a group of advanced shooters carrying a 9mm 1911, would they laugh at me?

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    I'd like to raise two items for opinions: Item 1: Who do you think makes the best 1911? Item 2: Does a 1911 in 9mm tarnish the 1911 tradition? If I walked into a group of advanced shooters carrying a 9mm 1911, would they laugh at me?

it should really matter, no one laughs at me. lozl.

if anyone does, i reckin i'll show em my one hole trick :D

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    1911itis is a good way to put. I am indeed stricken. I blame it on those advanced shooter show twisted my arm and just made me fire their 1911.

Today, on the way home from the range, I went to Gander Mountain to look at its selection of 1911s. My eyes lit up when I saw the Sig 1911. I held it and it felt tight and well-balanced. He salesman also showed me a Kimber .45 that that has a .22 conversion kit. I found that very interesting.

Best 1911? Nighthawk or Wilson Combat. After that, Fusion Firearms. In a production guns, I think Kimber is slightly better than Springfield.

I normally carry a Kimber Ultra Carry 1911 in .45, and I have 7+1 and another 7 round magazine...so that's 15 rounds. I'm not planning on going into a full fledged gunfight with a carry pistol. I don't need to lay down covering fire. I don't need to attack fortified positions.

I have several pistols with magazine capacities in the 16-20 range, and while they make shooting at the range a little easier, the 1911 carries much easier.

As far as the 9mm in 1911, no, you won't be laughed at, but there are things to consider with 9mm. If you shoot steel plates, 9mm does not do well. And no, it's not a true 1911, but neither is one with a 3" barrel or one with a beaver-tail or one that has been bobbed. 1911's and all their variants are great carry and combat weapons. They have truly stood the test of time, and they are still my goto carry gun.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    Best 1911? Nighthawk or Wilson Combat. After that, Fusion Firearms. In a production guns, I think Kimber is slightly better than Springfield.

I normally carry a Kimber Ultra Carry 1911 in .45, and I have 7+1 and another 7 round magazine...so that's 15 rounds. I'm not planning on going into a full fledged gunfight with a carry pistol. I don't need to lay down covering fire. I don't need to attack fortified positions.

I have several pistols with magazine capacities in the 16-20 range, and while they make shooting at the range a little easier, the 1911 carries much easier.

As far as the 9mm in 1911, no, you won't be laughed at, but there are things to consider with 9mm. If you shoot steel plates, 9mm does not do well. And no, it's not a true 1911, but neither is one with a 3" barrel or one with a beaver-tail or one that has been bobbed. 1911's and all their variants are great carry and combat weapons. They have truly stood the test of time, and they are still my goto carry gun.
    what in the world... :eek: you say that because what, the original model was chambered in .45acp??

to all you glock 21 owners, your glock isnt really a glock since the original glock was chambered in 9mm. actually, no one really has a real glock anymore since glock started out making curtain rods.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    what in the world... :eek:
    For some of the die-hard 1911 fans, if it's not on John Brownings original drawings, then it doesn't belong there. I don't follow that line of reasoning, but it is out there.

I plan on buying a Series 70 Colt 1911 at some point in time. It won't be at the same level as my Fusion, or my Kimbers for that matter, but there is something about the original.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    what in the world... :eek: you say that because what, the original model was chambered in .45acp??

to all you glock 21 owners, your glock isnt really a glock since the original glock was chambered in 9mm. actually, no one really has a real glock anymore since glock started out making curtain rods.

Uhm ... OK.

Glad I have a G17 that's as close to a "real Glock" as you can get these days - even if it's not the 1982 design.

Not sure what the curtain rods have to do with anything, but it's an interesting fact. Browning and Colt had some duds in their history as firearms designers, but noone holds it against them. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom