• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    This is one really fun reach out there big bore!
    Remington Number 1. Rolling Block Heavy Barrel in .45-125 made in 1875 Serial # 13. Fitted with a Hepburn Style Buttstock. It has a Wm. Malcomb 6X Tube Telescopic Sight. From the bench using 525 grain Paper Patched Bullets generally will get four inch groups at 500 yards. Really packs a wallop! Just TOO much fun.
    I do need to stage some better pictures.....
    Rem. 1875 002.jpg
    Rem. 1875 003a.jpg
    Rem. 1875 004.jpg
    Rem. 1875 005a.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Just watched a video about the rolling block. From what you posted so far, you have an amazing collection. If you don't live here, make the move quick before all those beautiful old guns get turned in at gun buy backs or some other terrible fate one day.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Just watched a video about the rolling block. From what you posted so far, you have an amazing collection. If you don't live here, make the move quick before all those beautiful old guns get turned in at gun buy backs or some other terrible fate one day.
    I do understand the sentiment. I am getting to old to move. A buy back would be OUT OF THE QUESTION. Taking them from me would also be the same. I am willing to DIE for my Rights and there WILL be a large number of Communists that will go with me. I WILL make a statement, THEY are not willing to see or accept.
    Come and Take Them.... if you dare....
    Moving to Texas at this time would be all but catastrophic in expense and logistics. NOT a small thing to consider. Would NOT be possible to rent a U-Haul and pack up and go. Maybe three or four semi-tractors and trailers. I am tied to cell hone towers with my heart conditions and have more doctors than a walk-in clinic. I was not nice to myself over the years. BUT I do have most of my "bucket-list" checked off!
    Been around the world twice, served in combat, shot twice and stabbed once. shot down in a helicopter, first wife tried to kill me, was involved in a home invasion shooting. suffered a stroke. have tremors and a massive heart attack, Insulin Dependent Diabetic...... just cannot wait to see what is next...... so i just laugh at most things. I AM the FOOTBALL BAT!!!

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I am really not a fan of the "plastic fantastic" guns that are all the rage today.
    I know that voicing that opinion will certainly put me outside the herd.
    I was told at a local gun club meeting that those old guns are just that, relics of the past and have little value in today's firearms world! There were a few that vocally agreed. Some did not say anything. One young guy said, "your old guns are really nice and wonderful conversation pieces but time has passed them by and todays technology is proof that these are superior to those old relics." I said, "let's have a comparison, distance for distance, hard target for hard target?"
    We then went outside where there was some of those orange road construction marker barrels. a lonely looking steel five gallon bucket. Those will work. Let's load up one of those barrels and take that bucket and fill it with sand then top the bucket of sand with water. Pretty darned heavy. Put the barrel and the bucket of soaked wet sand, put the stuff in the back of his pick-up truck and drove it down range to the 250 yard marker, Set up the barrel then placed the steel bucket of wet sand on top.
    We went back to the firing line. I said, "there is your target, pick your mark? He produces a really neat looking CMMG AR in .308. Nice scope on it too. Told me there is a letter "o" in the middle of the side, I can hit that letter... OKAY? I said sure, take the shot. He got ready and fired. we went down to the bucket and sure as rain is wet he placed that bullet inside that letter "o" all I could say was that was a great shot!
    We went back to the firing line. I said, "My turn." Got out my 140 year old Remington Rolling Block and chambered a 525 grain Lyman "Spitzer" paper patched .45-125 round. I got set and squeezed the trigger. Those old guns really BARK LOUD ! He watched as that bucket of wet sand virtually exploded and threw sand about ten feet in the air and the destroyed bucket downrange several yards!
    I asked if he wanted to inspect the bullet hole? All he could say was "NOPE!"
    I explained that the wet bucket of sand was equivalent to a 200 pond man at that distance and NOW HE is NOT HAPPY!
    Those old timers back then, men like John M. Browning and Eli Remington were pretty serious about the guns they built. Time does NOT age the gun... only the shooter does! We went and had a beer and laughed about it......
    I do love my old "relics" just never want to get shot by one. I want to STAY HAPPY.
    I see that you have a picture of the Alamo.... did you see my Sam Houston item I put a picture of???

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I am really not a fan of the "plastic fantastic" guns that are all the rage today.
    I know that voicing that opinion will certainly put me outside the herd.
    I was told at a local gun club meeting that those old guns are just that, relics of the past and have little value in today's firearms world! There were a few that vocally agreed. Some did not say anything. One young guy said, "your old guns are really nice and wonderful conversation pieces but time has passed them by and todays technology is proof that these are superior to those old relics." I said, "let's have a comparison, distance for distance, hard target for hard target?"
    We then went outside where there was some of those orange road construction marker barrels. a lonely looking steel five gallon bucket. Those will work. Let's load up one of those barrels and take that bucket and fill it with sand then top the bucket of sand with water. Pretty darned heavy. Put the barrel and the bucket of soaked wet sand, put the stuff in the back of his pick-up truck and drove it down range to the 250 yard marker, Set up the barrel then placed the steel bucket of wet sand on top.
    We went back to the firing line. I said, "there is your target, pick your mark? He produces a really neat looking CMMG AR in .308. Nice scope on it too. Told me there is a letter "o" in the middle of the side, I can hit that letter... OKAY? I said sure, take the shot. He got ready and fired. we went down to the bucket and sure as rain is wet he placed that bullet inside that letter "o" all I could say was that was a great shot!
    We went back to the firing line. I said, "My turn." Got out my 140 year old Remington Rolling Block and chambered a 525 grain Lyman "Spitzer" paper patched .45-125 round. I got set and squeezed the trigger. Those old guns really BARK LOUD ! He watched as that bucket of wet sand virtually exploded and threw sand about ten feet in the air and the destroyed bucket downrange several yards!
    I asked if he wanted to inspect the bullet hole? All he could say was "NOPE!"
    I explained that the wet bucket of sand was equivalent to a 200 pond man at that distance and NOW HE is NOT HAPPY!
    Those old timers back then, men like John M. Browning and Eli Remington were pretty serious about the guns they built. Time does NOT age the gun... only the shooter does! We went and had a beer and laughed about it......
    I do love my old "relics" just never want to get shot by one. I want to STAY HAPPY.
    I see that you have a picture of the Alamo.... did you see my Sam Houston item I put a picture of???
    Why I hunt with a 45-70 or a 30-30. Better energy delivered with a slower, heavier bullet.

Great story, thank you for sharing.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Why I hunt with a 45-70 or a 30-30. Better energy delivered with a slower, heavier bullet.

Great story, thank you for sharing.
    The venerable .45-70 GOV is my favorite rifle cartridge by far! Did you know that there were more Buffalo killed with the.45-70 GOV than all the others combined. It almost became obsolete but these young-uns woke up! Now every major manufacturer offers rifles chambered in.45-70. I wanted to get an upper for an AR in .45-70. I was kinda laughed at and was told, why be so difficult! The modern .458 SOCOM is balletically identical to the .45-70.... BUT the .47-70 GOV is surely more versatile and can be adapted to any situation! I have 11 rifles in .45-70.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Is that Henry Smith?
    YES! First Governor and member of Congress. The new Republic wanted Henry Smith to be The President of The Government of Texas but he supported and was loyal to Sam Houston, Houston appointed Henry as Treasurer of Texas (this all before Texas became a state. Before the Texas government was established he was so respected by Mexico under Santa Ana he was made '"Alcalde" of Texas. Not So well liked by Mexico after the Texas Rebellion....
    I just thrive on History!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    YES! First Governor and member of Congress. The new Republic wanted Henry Smith to be The President of The Government of Texas but he supported and was loyal to Sam Houston, Houston appointed Henry as Treasurer of Texas (this all before Texas became a state. Before the Texas government was established he was so respected by Mexico under Santa Ana he was made '"Alcalde" of Texas. Not So well liked by Mexico after the Texas Rebellion....
    I just thrive on History!
    What can you tell us about the image in the upper right corner of the treasury note?

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I am not as young as some or as old as others, but I find rifles like that to be absolutely intoxicating, and an item of rare beauty. I have never had a chance to shoot anything like that, but maybe someday I will. For now, I will have to settle on the lever guns I have.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    What can you tell us about the image in the upper right corner of the treasury note?
    The figure in the upper right hand corner is totally allegorical. Representing Miss Liberty, Commerce, Agriculture and Manufacturing. Not an actual personage. Many Bank Notes of that era from all across the Country had allegorical figures for atristic purposes.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I appreciate the information.
    I admit, I was hoping to find it more "involved " with a historical figure.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom