• ...and so much more!
  • d_holliday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2020
    Fort Hood, Tx
    Speak for yourself.
    Much fun was had in that car.
    I was happy to get a basically new car for my 16th birthday.

Got another car when I graduated high school.
    I had no car in high school. I had a bicycle instead. I didn't get my first car until a year after HS graduation.

How well-equipped was a new 1983 Corolla Deluxe wagon?

Were any or all of these following options available on a 1983 Toyota Corolla Deluxe 5-Door Wagon automobile originally sold new in America?

1. power door locks?
    2. power windows?
    3. cruise control?
    4. roof rack?
    5. power steering?
    6. factory a/c?
    7. factory radio cassette stereo?
    8. cloth seats?
    9. mag wheels?
    10. clock?
    11. automatic transmission?
    12. tilt steering wheel?

Many I see pictured on Google have vinyl seats. Back in 1983, could I have gotten a new Corolla Deluxe wagon with every conceivable option OTD in the US for under $10,000 even with the most powerful engine option? What was the most powerful motor offered for that particular model that year?

I ask because I feel that a new 1983 Corolla Deluxe Wagon would have been my very best buy then at age 19 because I had a $10K budget then to buy any new car. I have buyer's remorse to this day for having then got a crappy way-under-equipped-car-for-the-price GM product instead. This was a crappy 1983 Chevrolet Camaro hatchback with roll-up windows, vinyl seats, AM mono Delco radio, 5-spd, 6-cyl. and no a/c even. $9,100 retail for this overpriced stripped-down stupid thing which performed lousy on curves anyway. I ran the damn thing off the rural twisty road doing 45 in a 25 and banged up against a bush over the embankment. No slot car for sure. I was a young ignorant shill for "buy American".

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I wouldn’t advertise owning a V6 Mustang...nice Tranny though.

So what if it was? I bought a V-6 for two reasons. One, I drove the car back and forth to work, for almost three years, and it got great fuel mileage while looking good. I then gave the car to my step-daughter as her first car when she got her driver's license. So would you have put a 16 year old kid into a V-8 Mustang as their first car?

Nice Tranny? Quite frankly, I don't want to hear about your sexual exploits and I'm sure no one else does either. You might to keeps some of your personal details to yourself.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Speak for yourself.
    Much fun was had in that car.
    I was happy to get a basically new car for my 16th birthday.

Got another car when I graduated high school.

He probably never heard of the 1975 Cosworth Vega's!

Now those are highly desirable as collector cars today. Only 2060 made, and I wonder how many survive. I have only seen one authentic one in my life at a car show many, many years ago.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I actually won my bracket, and also little eliminator, one night at the drag strip.
    First and only time to try it.

Of course, it wasn't fast.
    I dialed in a 19.10, consistency is key.
    Not too bad with a 4 speed.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    He probably never heard of the 1975 Cosworth Vega's!

Now those are highly desirable as collector cars today. Only 2060 made, and I wonder how many survive. I have only seen one authentic one in my life at a car show many, many years ago.

Those were cool because they were funky.

But new cars that rust on the showroom floor tend to have short lives in the real world LOL

Very interesting history, much of which is documented in this article:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Those were cool because they were funky.

But new cars that rust on the showroom floor tend to have short lives in the real world LOL

Very interesting history, much of which is documented in this article:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Vega was rushed to the market. I can remember some of my older friends that worked in Chevrolet service departments talking about how often they were in the shop for repairs for many things. And people laugh about the Yugo's!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Mine lasted through 2 years of my abuse, lol.
    Probably 75% of the shifting was done with the gas pedal crammed to the floor.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Mine lasted through 2 years of my abuse, lol.
    Probably 75% of the shifting was done with the gas pedal crammed to the floor.

One of the few exceptions to the rule I guess!

In 1979, my father bought my stepmom a brand new Chevrolet Chevette! That thing was junk from the get go! Seemed like it spent more time at the dealership for repairs than my stepmon got to drive it!

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    So what if it was? I bought a V-6 for two reasons. One, I drove the car back and forth to work, for almost three years, and it got great fuel mileage while looking good. I then gave the car to my step-daughter as her first car when she got her driver's license. So would you have put a 16 year old kid into a V-8 Mustang as their first car?

Nice Tranny? Quite frankly, I don't want to hear about your sexual exploits and I'm sure no one else does either. You might to keeps some of your personal details to yourself.
    These are called jokes. One wheeled burnouts too.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Tried a Tacoma, it wants to loosen my teeth with its suspension. Had my 4Runner for 14 years and do miss it.

My wife has a 2019 limited 4runner. Loaded out, I think the only option we didnt' get was adaptive cruise.

Hate it. Roughest riding vehicle I've driven/ridden in for a VERY long time.

The seats are so hard I get back twinges after less than 30 minutes of driving. I bought an anti-fatigue rug (small) and use it as a seat cushion.

My mother-in-laws freaking honda civic handles rough pavement, undulations, and rumble strips FAR better than that thing.

Factor in what has to be about the loudest v6 at startup currently sold in the USA and a transmission that feels like a CVT (I know it's not) and I have an active hatred for that freaking car/suv/teeth rattler.

I really cannot believe 4runners have such rabid following-at least, not the current generation.

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    I guess you failed to see the humor in my comments then?
    After all, I am a "troublemaker" according to you.
    I laugh every time. What’s that phrase below your screen name? Uh huh. I see what you did there. C’mon maaan! What are you, some kind of junkie?

JDub

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Pearland
    My wife has a 2019 limited 4runner. Loaded out, I think the only option we didnt' get was adaptive cruise.

Hate it. Roughest riding vehicle I've driven/ridden in for a VERY long time...
    I've got a 2019 TRD off road premium. Mine rides great with the lift and it also did stock (other than nose dive when braking.) Maybe it's the 20s or whatever they stick on those limited.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA

Hate it. Roughest riding vehicle I've driven/ridden in for a VERY long time.

The seats are so hard I get back twinges after less than 30 minutes of driving. I bought an anti-fatigue rug (small) and use it as a seat cushion.

My mother-in-laws freaking honda civic handles rough pavement, undulations, and rumble strips FAR better than that thing.

Factor in what has to be about the loudest v6 at startup currently sold in the USA and a transmission that feels like a CVT (I know it's not) and I have an active hatred for that freaking car/suv/teeth rattler.

I really cannot believe 4runners have such rabid following-at least, not the current generation.

Put 160,000 smooth miles on mine, and the V8 was incredible. Mine was the loaded out Limited as well.

Many trips GA to TX and back. Way too heavy (and shaped like a brick) for a V6.

Ibmikey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2014
    East Texas
    My truck isn’t as off road tough as my buddy’s Toyota but when we are on long trips mine is the transportation of choice.
    E760B630-3352-46BE-B91B-324050CCA4A6.jpeg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Honestly, I have never owned a Toyota. I have friends that have, and the range of experience is from very well pleased, to wouldn't buy another if someone put a gun to their head.

So my assessment is, Toyota is pretty much like most other vehicle manufacturers. Both good and bad.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom