Join TexasGunTalk

My first big bore rifle.

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Spencerk, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Spencerk

Spencerk New Member

Jun 20, 2018
    San Antonio
    Walked into the pawn shop the other day and they had one of my bucket list rifles. An NEF handi rifle in .45-70. Couldn’t help myself from putting a down payment on it and putting it on layaway. Only downside is that the sights are missing and it has a craptastic bsa red dot installed on the rail.

I’m going to get rid of the red dot and mount a WGRS from Brownells and get a factory front sight. I feel like that would be the perfect brush gun setup for hogs and deer.

I also think I might go ahead and thread and recrown the muzzle so I can mount a can on it later on. I feel like the handi rifle would be the perfect rifle for a suppressor.

I’m probably going to give it a good old krylon treatment too since it’s such a cheap rifle. If I wind up throwing a can on it I’ll probably wind up getting a better red dot for it. Likely a holuson.

I have an unnatural attraction to break action rifles. There is just something therapeutic about the way you have to load and shoot them.

Other than the sights, the only other thing it needs is a good sling and it’s field ready.
    827378E2-B7F7-4C1F-91E0-975EF5036AB4.jpeg 34521F9B-BB78-4067-9110-A13A0419B1D9.jpeg

Sam7sf and TxStetson like this.
  2. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Should be a thumper.

Sam7sf likes this.
  3. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Q

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    Considering one of those in 12ga is by its very nature, the standard by which things recoil enough to make you feel like you've slapped by a body builder.

I'd like to request video of it being shot 45-70 style.

4. Charlie

Charlie Kinda' Sorta' Literate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Nice find! I'm going to borrow one of your words for future use, :green: "craptastic"! Thanks.

Spencerk likes this.
  5. V-Tach

V-Tach TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    Sights should be readily available.......I have a couple of NEF 45/70 rifles...

Start with some 405 gr. loads......video requested......

Spencerk likes this.
  6. sucker76

sucker76 Don't let the username fool you

Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I have one and its a hoot to shoot. The Rem 405gr loads are fun shooting. The Hornady 325gr loads are a horse of a different color. 405gr @ ~1100fps = 1087ft/lbs of energy.
    325gr @ ~1800fps = 2337ft/lbs of energy.
    The Hornady also smacks the shoulder more.

Here it is when I got it next to a Remington 405gr cartridge.
    4IS4AlN.jpg

It came with a Williams sight mounted in front of the chamber. The notch was very coarse and I wanted a peep too. I got Williams WGRS peep for the rear of the chamber.
    VWJJj4P.jpg
    4RimUfn.jpg

For some reason the sight didn't fit properly. The chamber mounting radius is different from the radius further up the barrel where the original Williams sight sat. I couldn't put the peep forward of the chamber because the screw holes didn't match even though the radius fit. The mounting holes fit at the rear of the chamber. It makes sense to put it as close to the eye because it is a peep after all.
    pVlYLqi.jpg
    NmBiaYQ.jpg
    I hope you can see what I'm talking about in these pictures. Here is a better view of the gap between sight and receiver.
    qKi8qXx.jpg
    It is tight to the receiver and screws are torqued down properly too. I haven't had a chance to shoot it since I added the new sight. I imagine it will be fine.
    This is the sight I bought
    https://williamsgunsight.com/product-category/rifle-sights/h-r-rifle-sights/wgrs-receiver-sights-hr/
    I can't think of the retailer I purchased it from.

Spencerk and V-Tach like this.
  7. Sam7sf

Sam7sf Active Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Tbd.
    I love these rifles. It was my first 45-70. Such a great gun.

Spencerk likes this.
  8. Spencerk

Spencerk New Member

Jun 20, 2018
    San Antonio
    Decided I’m likely going with the target style Williams peep sight with the adjustable target knobs. It’s not that much more pricy and it give a much higher range of adjustment over the WRGS. Looks a little clunky but I think it would fit the bill better for me.

We shall see what the wife says though. I can’t stand a red dot on this rifle.

9. Sam7sf

Sam7sf Active Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Tbd.
    Seems ok. Most uses I got out of my 45-70 was under 70 yards. Back then I used it for critter control. Overkill? Sure. Fun? 100 percent.

TxStetson and Spencerk like this.
  10. Spencerk

Spencerk New Member

Jun 20, 2018
    San Antonio
    I could only imagine what a .45-70 would do to a squirrel. Lol

TxStetson likes this.