Part 3
    Part 4
    Originally published
    in
    Rifle Magazine
    Nov-Dec 1977.
    Reprinted with
    permission.
    THE SHOOTER at the heavy bench rest squinted as he aligned his .45-70 Allin-Springfield Model
    1873 Army rifle on the distant target. The rifle fore-stock and barrel was cradled in a rest; the
    butt was supported by his shoulder. The rear sight was flipped up to its full height, so with no
    stock support for his head, the rifle tester from Springfield Armory worked carefully to align high
    rear and low muzzle sight on the speck that was the target - a surveyed 2,500 yards distant.
    Holding his breath, he squeezed the 7-pound trigger. The rifle fired, and some 15 seconds later,
    signals from the target indicated that his shot had struck well inside the 6-foot diameter bullseye
    on a target well
    over a mile
    away

Spencerk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    San Antonio
    I currently have five 45/70s

They are at the easily attainable end of the high-velocity vs. large-mass perennial (or is it perineal) debate.

Big holes and mortar-like trajectories are just sublime.

Just do it.

Got the sights on my handi.

9749B7DD-E32B-4A6B-B9B4-45F45419C6FA.jpeg
    9C3E6A9D-D826-4056-8E26-95B88A37AFB0.jpeg

Spencerk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    San Antonio
    I don't hunt. I don't have land, don't know anybody with land and I'm too poor for a lease. :)
    There is some public hunting land here in Texas. Hard to find tho. I recommend looking for farmers with hog problems. Tell them you’ll sign a contract that states you will not leave trash and Give them a trash deposit that you can only get back if you leave the land as it was minus some hogs.

You may have to take a drive but it will be worth it. I know somebody who did just that. Only took him 3 try’s to get some land to hunt hogs and yotes on.

Also if you do manage to get the land, keep a copy of the contract on you and make sure you keep the landowners contact info on hand. If you ever get stopped by a warden or a neighbor calls law enforcement on you, you will be covered.

Top Bottom