• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    With the $500 limit, you might also want to check out Ruger P series or the SR9. By the way, Welcome to the brotherhood pard.
    Gun Zone Deals

SAND_MAN1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I had a bit over $500 when I set out to get my first gun as well. I ended up choosing the Stoeger Cougar 8000 in 9MM. It was priced at $399 at academy and I got 3 boxes of ammo as well. I have no regrets with the gun and it shoots great. I priced it out at several locations and Academy still had the best price, everyone else was asking $429. You have to figure in sales tax as well.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, you can't go wrong with the XD, but I don't know if you can get one for under $500.00 these days. :(

Or a glock for that matter : (

I got mine at a gun show for 550 with night sigts, and I think the regulars were going for 450 + tax. But that was over a year ago.

And that doesn't include the cost of ammo or a holster.

Stuff just costs alot of money.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Ladies and gentlemen im finally buying my first handgun today april 22, 2009.
    BUT......

I really dont know what to get. I have about $500 to spend on it. I'm in the San Antonio area. It's going to be a home defense gun.
    (9mm)

and i dont want to buy online..... I finally have the money, I want it TODAY!!!
    any help would be nice.
    What did you get or have you got it yet? We gotta know man you can't leave us in the dark!

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I got a s&w sigma!!!!this gun rocksss

Lots of people will tell you a Sigma is a POS, but don't believe them. I have a S & W SW9VE with well over 2000 rounds through it with no malfunctions at all. What most people don't like about it is the trigger, which is very heavy. It was not designed as a fun at the range pistol but as a reliable self defense weapon. Practice by shooting and dry firing the Sigma will teach you trigger control better than any light, smooth trigger. Once you have mastered trigger control with a Sigma you will be a better shooter with any pistol.
    The trigger is light compared to our S & W snubbies ( a 442& a 642 w/C. T. laser grips) loaded with 38 +P ammo. The snubbies are also great S. D. guns but certainly not fun range guns.
    I own many pistols that I enjoy shooting including three M & P's, a CZ 75B, a Springfield 1911 Micro Compact, a Baby Desert Eagle, and couple of S & W revolvers in 357 magnum. I seldom even take the Sigma with me to the range anymore but I know it will always be there if I need a home defense or car gun.
    You did good. Practice, practice, practice!

Good Todd Jarret training Video: [URL="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363"]Todd Jarrett IPSC Pistol Grip Lesson[/URL]

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I haven't shot a Sigma yet, however I'm sure it's not that inaccurate of a gun. The trigger is heavy enough however that it severely encourages flinching from the user. In my opinion, out of all the people I've shot with, helped shoot, given tips to improve shooting, etc I would say the number one problem most people have (I still do too occasionally) is improper trigger pull which can have a substantial impact on accuracy. I have heard of people modifying Sigmas and getting the trigger down to ~6# or so, which would be good enough and a significant improvement over stock. Not sure if that was through replacing striker springs or anything like that. Most guns are inherently accurate.

Top Bottom