• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I shot my first IDPA qualifier this morning. Took the P30 because i had more practice with it. Most of thee IDPA shooting i do is at the local indoor range which is rather small. We normally shoot 5-7 yds because that's all we have room for. That being said, shooting 7,15-20yds outdoors is a new experience for me.

Once I slowed down a little I managed to pick up enough accuracy to qualify as a marksman. I was impressed with the p30's accuracy at 20 yds....which REALLY saved my score
    smile.gif
    Also keep in mind I've only been actively shooting since April 09. I'm still trying to find a good tempo.
    DK Firearms

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Don't worry about your tempo too much, just wait for the sights to align and squeeze. After you do it enough, you'll speed up. Work on your natural point of aim first, tempo second.

I shot in a couple of IDPA-style competitions where we'd engage out to about 40 yards. 20 isn't really that far IMO. Very doable shots with a full or mid size pistol.

a44mag4dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    +1 Dont worry so much about speed. I shoot IPSC here in Kuwait, and I also had to slow down to speed up. Smooth, Fluid motion and accuracy is what you need to work on. Speed will come naturally as you go. Shoot the speed of your sights, thats how its done. And by the way,, congrats, its an addiction. I hope you enjoy the shooting sports as much as I do.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    +1 Dont worry so much about speed. I shoot IPSC here in Kuwait, and I also had to slow down to speed up. Smooth, Fluid motion and accuracy is what you need to work on. Speed will come naturally as you go. Shoot the speed of your sights, thats how its done. And by the way,, congrats, its an addiction. I hope you enjoy the shooting sports as much as I do.

Addictive is exactly what i was thinking. I thought i would get bored between shooting, but i find that i can learn from the other guys when i'm not reloading....reminds me a lot of baseball camp actually

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Addictive is exactly what i was thinking. I thought i would get bored between shooting, but i find that i can learn from the other guys when i'm not reloading....reminds me a lot of baseball camp actually
    +1 I also learn alot from the guys between rounds. Alot will offer advice and aren't rude about it, very helpful

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    +1 I also learn alot from the guys between rounds. Alot will offer advice and aren't rude about it, very helpful

there's a couple "masters" that shoot with us on our weekly meet. Their advice really helps....assuming us newbs can correctly apply it.

Top Bottom