• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    my freind's dad loves his RIA Big rock and ive been pretty impressed with them myself, most Filipino made 1911s are made to "GI" spec so they dont suck, my step dad has a Filipino 1911 I bought him and he being a Vietnam vet was impressed with it compared to whatever clapped out .45 they gave him back in 'nam considering he said it didnt rattle like a pair of maracas.

personally if I was gonna get a .45 id get a P220 or a Tanfoglio, but yall know my onions on the 1911
    Venture Surplus ad

Barnacle Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    Plano
    Not new to a 1911 but new to rock island. More specific: a gi model.

I couldn’t say no to the price and I might be one of few who enjoy gi features over modern ones. After all I removed the full length guide rod in my Springfield in favor for a gi recoil system. I like the gi recoil system for an easy take down.

One thing I won’t do in this review is down range performance. I’m not some bad ass operator looking to give advice or opinions on shooting. I still haven’t figured out my shaking. Also forgetting a camera on range day is always smart. Just know this gun points great as with any 1911 and it’s accuracy is just as good as my Springfield. I like reviews detailing function testing and part break in.

The very first troubling thing I noticed out of the box was the magazine. I knew off the bat I couldn’t judge any feeding issues on the gun if all the parts checked out before shooting. They did.

View attachment 303503
    (Funny note: I randomly picked up a cleaning mat and it happens to be a 1911 one. How funny).

kci. Enough said. For those of you that don’t know kci is just one step above promag. I knew immediately I would have some kind of feeding issues in this oem supplied 8 round mag. Fortunately if loaded to 7 rounds, the gun experienced no problems and ran 100 percent and locked back in testing. I was disappointed to see kci being supplied with the gun. Come on rock island. If rock island shipped it with no mag and left a note explaining all they had access to was kci, I would have called telling them thank you for the outstanding customer service.

Another immediate observation (note I’m not calling this a complaint for the price point) is the parkerizing. It’s going to scratch and wear easy. So if you’re new to 1911’s and want to hide the idiot scratch from your friends, just get a rock island and handle it a bunch.

Alright after shooting and breaking it in let’s dive into the parts.
    View attachment 303504
    (saaaafeeety check)
    View attachment 303505
    (remember kids: you don’t need a barrel bushing tool. You have your hands)
    View attachment 303507
    (the area in the frame that the barrel makes contact with. The rear of the barrel link area. Nothing troubling. Standard peening/break in)
    View attachment 303509
    View attachment 303508
    (now finally something to keep an eye on. The fillets in the slide and it’s relationship to the base of the guide rod. I’m not throwing up red flags yet but this reminds me of my very first 1911. A Charles Daly. Malfunctions increased because that guide rod base would flare out catching the slide. Definitely something to monitor if you get a rock island gi and have feeding problems that show up down the road. Easy fix with a file)
    View attachment 303513
    View attachment 303512
    (Lugs working in great. This is what you want to see. The corners are staying sharp. Not shown is the extractor, barrel bushing and sear all no issues or red flags)
    View attachment 303514
    (Now it’s time to apply lube and put it back together with an idiot scratch)
    View attachment 303517
    (just kidding)

Im not disappointed in this gun. Rock island gi in the low 400 dollar range? Yes please. 500 dollars? No thanks. Would I buy upper end rocks? Probably not. The gi is definitely worth the buy if you can get one at a good price point.
    Thank you for the review

Top Bottom