• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I am and have been a 1911 guy for over 30 years, but I haven't had a 5" for quite some time. I was in a gunstore that I usually don't buy from, due to price and lack of selection, looking for a new carrying case for my two AR15's, and as I passed the guncase I saw something interesting....an RIA Tactical. I have never even given RIA the time of day until I saw this gun, I picked it up and asked the clerk if I could inspect it. He said yes and I field stripped it and was impressed with fit and finish. He handed me a dummy round to try the trigger and again I was impressed, not the best trigger pull, but surely not the worst I had ever felt. I asked if he had a pull gage and I tested it.....4lbs and just a little creep!!! Just where I wanted it.
    I asked him how much he could come off the retail of $510.00 and I laid $450.00 cash in front of him and he took it without even blinking. That is the least I have ever spent on a new 1911, that I have bought for myself. I am looking forward to getting it cleaned up and to the range this weekend.
    RIATACR.gif

RIATACL.gif
    Hurley's Gold

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Congrats on the new 1911... I have 2 of the RIAs I bought a couple years back.. They go bang everytime I pull the trigger... With the Hogue grips they are a pleasure to shoot...

Do you have picks of your 1911 with Hogue griips on it? I love shooting with a Hogue grip and wanted to see what it looks like on a 1911...

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Well, as I always do with a new gun, I detail stripped the RIA Tac, cleaned and relubed every part. Everything was good and tight, the way it should be. Took it to the range and fired 50 rounds to test the reliability...perfect. Sent the empty brass in a nice pile just over my right shoulder and never missed a beat. I use the factory mag and two of my Wilson 47D's. All three locked back the slide on empty. All three mags dropped freely when empty. Slide locked into battery fully after each round.
    Accuracy and point of impact seems to follow what I have read here and elsewhere. 1"-2" low and 1"-2" left of point of aim. Grouping was fair but not anything to rave about. I shot 8 rounds from the factory mag at 15yards and 25 yards. The ammo was Remington 230gr. FMJ. No wind blowing at all.
    15 yard target
    RIATarget002.gif

25 yard target
    RIATarget001.gif

XD.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Winnsboro
    Man i new i should have bought one last april lol. A buddy of mine only paid a little over 300 for his new.

XD.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Winnsboro
    Where the hell did he find one for $300?

One of the Pawn Shops in Sulphur Springs.
    He paid 360 for it. "Talked to him about selling it" lol
    This was also over a year ago.
    Didnt ask if it was used or not.

When i did check it out when he got it it looked brand new

dadoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    my 2 cents, and 2 rocks

OK, I admit I love my 'Rocks and tell everyone about them.

therock.gif

two-tone.gif

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Well I finally got back to the range yesterday after having the front sight pushed 1/16" to the left to get the grouping to at least hit center of point of aim. It is still hitting about 1"-1.5" low at 15 & 25yards. The next trip to the range I will take my file with me and hopefully get the point of impact and point of aim to be the same, or I might look for a replacement sight slightly shorter that either has a tritium insert in it or go the fiber optic route. I might even order a front sight from TruGlo that is the combination of both. I have the TFO's on my XD45 and they are the most amaxing sights I have ever had on a gun.
    I also put another 150 rounds through the gun. That makes a total of 250 rounds of 230gr. through it without any malfunctions whatsoever. I am growing more and more fond of and confident in this guns function and dependability.
    I will keep you apprised of the progress with this, what looks to be an unsung hero!!!

tex45acp

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Well I finally got back to the range yesterday after having the front sight pushed 1/16" to the left to get the grouping to at least hit center of point of aim. It is still hitting about 1"-1.5" low at 15 & 25yards. The next trip to the range I will take my file with me and hopefully get the point of impact and point of aim to be the same, or I might look for a replacement sight slightly shorter that either has a tritium insert in it or go the fiber optic route. I might even order a front sight from TruGlo that is the combination of both. I have the TFO's on my XD45 and they are the most amaxing sights I have ever had on a gun.
    I also put another 150 rounds through the gun. That makes a total of 250 rounds of 230gr. through it without any malfunctions whatsoever. I am growing more and more fond of and confident in this guns function and dependability.
    I will keep you apprised of the progress with this, what looks to be an unsung hero!!!

tex45acp

I like the rationing of the .45's.... god that sh*t is pricey now a days...

Top Bottom