• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Congrats on the new practice & sponsorship to TGT.

I just had #19 molar removed & with 80/20 Insurance it still cost me $1k. 4 wisdom for 1k sounds pretty good to me.
    I have my HR looking into the over charge & should be getting some cash back.
    Lynx Defense

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Been dragging my feet on getting what's left of my teeth pulled and getting dentures, because I have to get a paper filled out and sent to the oral surgeon.

I already know they are not going to reccommend me for surgery from the radiologist that form has to be filled out by. Hell, they had less radiation leak from Chernobyl than they used on me.

I'm kinda screwed. I don't know what to do. But, good luck with your new venture in my old hometown. Spend some time on the river.

Oh, and take the kids to Sea World. When Shamu comes out, your neck hairs will stand on end.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Tell us about the worst teeth you ever dealt with. LoL

He will...right after my appointment.
    :roflfunny:

Granted, mine are probably not the worst, but the last time I was in a dentist, those Hi Def, up close and personal digital pictures of the inside of my mouth were a real eye opener. My daughter was with me and seen them as well. I've always kept on her about flossing and brushing twice a day as well as not eating or drinking certain sugary things, but since that visit I have incorporated the visual on what happens when you don't pay close attention to your teeth. It seems to be working. :D

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Congrats on the new practice & sponsorship to TGT.

I just had #19 molar removed & with 80/20 Insurance it still cost me $1k. 4 wisdom for 1k sounds pretty good to me.
    I have my HR looking into the over charge & should be getting some cash back.
    I'm guessing you either used up some or all of your yearly benefits which makes your out of pocket higher or they really padded that bill.

Were you sedated? Did they do a bone graft? Were they in-netwok w/ your insurance company?

$1k is nuts.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Been dragging my feet on getting what's left of my teeth pulled and getting dentures, because I have to get a paper filled out and sent to the oral surgeon.

I already know they are not going to reccommend me for surgery from the radiologist that form has to be filled out by. Hell, they had less radiation leak from Chernobyl than they used on me.

I'm kinda screwed. I don't know what to do. But, good luck with your new venture in my old hometown. Spend some time on the river.

Oh, and take the kids to Sea World. When Shamu comes out, your neck hairs will stand on end.
    Did you have radiation therapy (XRT) to the face/neck? I have helped plenty of people who had XRT & were turned away by others. It just requires a good discussion about risks & benefits.

$300 for the first tooth and $150 for each additional. $400/$275 if they are impacted which I doubt. That's not much more than the dental school here charges. Includes sedation, exam, xray, and reasonable post op visits. Reasonable can be defined at the consultation appointment.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Tell us about the worst teeth you ever dealt with. LoL
    Even really bad teeth aren't all that special. It's the other stuff that gets crazy. I'm just leaving the hospital. I have better pictures of random stuff at home but here's one I saw recently.

5a85f5cc95c66d57f2bebbb9a6515b03.jpg

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Were you sedated? Did they do a bone graft? Were they in-netwok w/ your insurance company?

$1k is nuts.

We just switched insurance companies, so no benefits were used up. My new Insurance supposedly has no network restrictions. I got the most expensive best coverage plan they offered.

Yes to all 3, sedation, bone graft & in network.
    They tried to tell me my sedation wasn't coverd because it was only 1 tooth & not multiple. Hopefully HR gets it figured out.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    We just switched insurance companies, so no benefits were used up. My new Insurance supposedly has no network restrictions. I got the most expensive best coverage plan they offered.

Yes to all 3, sedation, bone graft & in network.
    They tried to tell me my sedation wasn't coverd because it was only 1 tooth & not multiple. Hopefully HR gets it figured out.
    Frequently sedation isn't covered unless there are at least 2 or 3 teeth.

Was this an oral surgeon?

Average prices are probably $275 for a surgical extraction, $500 for a bone graft, and $250 per 15 mins of IV. They probably billed our 45 mins IV.

There are eight different codes for extractions. It's a bunch of crap because, for an experienced surgeon, there are really only two difficulty levels for extractions: easy or hard. That's why I only list 2 prices.

Socket preservation bone grafts are WAY oversold. The manufacturers have worked to make it "standard of care" in the industry. Most oral surgeons I know disagree. There are times when a socket graft may be good but not as SOP.

Sedation billing is rampantly abused in the industry. The code books says the timer starts when drugs are pushed and ends when the doctor can safely leave the room and allow someone else to monitor the patient. For routine difficulty wisdom teeth I am out of the room in less than 15 minutes. For extraction and a graft I may get into the second 15 minute block. It depends on the circumstance.

The plan may have no network restrictions but if the provider wasn't in network they may have billed you 100% up front and assigned the insurance check back to you.

I hate all this complicated garbage. RCOMS is out of network for all plans. I bill the patient and get paid by the patient. I will help patients file their own insurance claim. Because I am out of network I set my own fees and don't have to follow the code book guidelines. I could bill sedation any way I wish but I'm still following the 15 minute blocks and not charging recovery time. I want simple billing that is easy to understand and not 30 lines long nickel and diming for what should be simple.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom