• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Just got back from Red's. As some people know I bought a G17 Gen4. This was the first time I've ever been to a gun range, held a loaded gun, loaded a gun, shot a gun... and so on. The thing that is really bothering me is that I'm wondering if my gun is ok. I started off right handed, 2rnd mags shot all 3. Surprised myself at how good I was. My first 3~ shots were all within the 2-3rd ring at 7 yrds, then 3 rnds to the head, about a 2" group. I'm not sure if it started going down hill then or not.

I eventually tried out left hand and it wasn't too bad besides me wondering where any of my shots went, for the most part. I tried going back and forth between hands over several partial magazines and only once did I have a dead on hit of where I was trying to aim and that was right handed squeeze most of the trigger then pull, maybe 5yrds. I'm also not just pulling the trigger. When I did this hit, I had the trigger in the center of my last knuckle of my finger.

I had so many bullet holes in the target, but it looked like where I was aiming, it would end up making a 2-3" group somewhere around it. Pretty much I think they were to the right, to the left, and low. One time after reloading and releasing the slide, I either moved forward a bit or tilted the gun down a bit and it was like the slide slid into place. Only once did that happen.

I was trying various different finger positions and trying to counter aim of where I thought I was hitting and none of that worked. Right now I'm just wondering why, after shooting 20~ bullets, it seemed to go downhill from there. I'm not sure if it was because it was my first time being near other shots, as the whole experience was kinda terrifying, but good. Adrenaline wore out or what... I was kinda shaking though the whole session.

I wasn't able to aim with both eyes, like I was when I was checking the gun out.

Not sure when I will get to go again. Shot about 110~ $25~ bullets, and $20~ for range and some stickers I bought there. I didn't get yelled at by the range officer, so that's good :)

Sorry for the long thread,
    Cheers,
    Higgins909

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Now that you have shot your gun you really owe it to yourself to take a class with a NRA certified instructor. They can really help you learn not just to shoot but to shoot the correct way and not develop any bad habits. It sounds like you might have developed a bit of a flinch which is not good. Grip the gun tightly, dry fire at home a lot and work on not moving the gun. Buy some snap caps. Practice every day at home and you won't need much range time to get good hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Some muscles that are never used tire very easily. A flinch can be hard to diagnose as well as a jerk without a partner.

Always keep your focus on the front sight. Your eye can not focus on all three points (front sight, rear sight, and target) at the same time so the front sight is the best option.

Less finger on the trigger. You want to use just the pad of your trigger finger, about half the distance from knuckle to tip. I go even a bit less than that. You want a point that moves straight to the rear.

One more purely psychological thing. You are not pulling the trigger, you are pushing it to the rear. It may seem like a minor thing but thinking that way will help.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Come to the Oct. meet up on the 7th. You will get plenty of practice and there will probably be several that could offer tips on how to improve and relax.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    There are some really good novice shooter instructors in austin. Get with one of them and have them work on the basics with you.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Seems to me you tried too many different things for a first outing. As already pointed out you need to get some instruction on the basics. Once you know what you're supposed to be doing, you can work on improving it. Like any new discipline, you need to practice the right way of doing things even though you might start out doing poorly as far as end results concerned.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    It sounds like you did pretty well for your first time. It is not a bad idea to get some professional training so you learn the correct grip, trigger pull, stance, etc. If you continue to practice and develop bad habits, it will just be that much harder to learn the correct way later on. Google Thumbs forward grip. Google Trigger control, Google proper pistol stance, etc. Watch some Rob Leatham videos on You Tube. Not saying that's the best way to learn, but will help.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Sounds like you got a good start! Nice shooting for a first time. You can bet that you will be much more at ease the next time out. Just like anything else, that first time always creates nerves.

I concur on getting some instruction, even if only on Youtube. It will help a ton.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Don't overcomplicate things and don't change too many things at once.

Agree with above comments on getting some instruction - formal or informal.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Yeah, I'm sure I tried too many things and ended up getting things confused. I'm thinking I got comfortable with pulling the trigger and feeling the ?sound wave? and recoil, and sound. Which caused me to aim away when pulling trigger, vs me slowly pulling, waiting for the big bang. I was really wanting to try out left handed though. ZX9RCAM, I seem to be left eye dominant. Which was one of the reasons I wanted to try left handed shooting. I know I need to get my eyes checked, but if I close my left eye, it's harder to read, than using my left eye. My right ear seems to hear less then my left ear too. I swear I used to be both eye dominant. I remember squinting/closing my right eye, but don't remember if it was just for left handed shooting or not.

I'm thinking I'm going to need some better earmuffs, 25 NRR was still pretty loud in the range. Not sure how different it is, in a outside range. I bought a 200 box of Winchester 9mm 155grain FMJ, or Winchester white box? Is this supposed to be dirty ammo? I think every shell had "soot" on the outside in the same spot. My hands also had metal flakes. I'm not sure if it was because I was setting my gun down or what, but a grey line of something kept appearing on my slide. (on the top left corner if you're aiming it) Unburnt gunpowder or what? I thought it looked a little like holster wear which freaked me out, because this gun is my new baby.

I was wanting to go buy some more for next time, but now I wonder if it's bad/dirty ammo. I found some videos complaining about how the bullet was put into the casing and the primer, but nothing about powder.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    You may not shoot well until you figure out which eye is dominant. And not everyone can shoot well with both hands.
    Some ammo tends to be dirtier than others, but it is all dirty. If it's your baby, enjoy cleaning it too. Proper cleaning and lubing makes shooting more fun when you know it functions well because you took the time to take care of it. Hopefully you cleaned it and lubed it before shooting.
    Dawico knows Glocks better than I do. I don't even own one.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'm ambidextrous, but right eye dominant. Its screwed me up multiple times, usually shooting shotguns.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Yeah, I'm left eye dominant.
    You may not shoot well until you figure out which eye is dominant. And not everyone can shoot well with both hands.
    Some ammo tends to be dirtier than others, but it is all dirty. If it's your baby, enjoy cleaning it too. Proper cleaning and lubing makes shooting more fun when you know it functions well because you took the time to take care of it. Hopefully you cleaned it and lubed it before shooting.
    Dawico knows Glocks better than I do. I don't even own one.

I wonder how bad that is, that I didn't clean or lube it before shooting it. I saw some copper paste and assumed it was that Glock Lube I've heard about. Shot about 110 rounds.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Yeah, I'm left eye dominant.

I wonder how bad that is, that I didn't clean or lube it before shooting it. I saw some copper paste and assumed it was that Glock Lube I've heard about. Shot about 110 rounds.
    I am left eye dominant and right handed. Pistols with the right hand, long guns on the left. Feels totally natural to me.

It is a Glock. Don't worry about cleaning or lubing it.

Top Bottom