• ...and so much more!
  • Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    thinking about buying.

It is a SOG Seal Pup FIXED blade knife.

I ONLY use fixed blade knives now as I have mentioned before here and elsewhere in the past.

It looks like this:

https://sogknives.com/

MAIN WEBSITE

(SEAL PUP with the sheath. It is NOT the Elite one.)

It will be a spare knife for me to use. I will see if I like it or not and he said that if I do not like it - he will use it.

He got it from CABELA'S here in town for $54.99 the other day. They had them in stock and in sealed packages.

I found some .380 acp pistol ammunition for him on sale @ Selway which is here in town too. That is the only CF pistol and rifle ammo that he does not reload for. We decided that before he bought that smaller Glock pistol too.

He does keep a tiny BIT of 45acp and 30-30 Winchester FACTORY ammunition on hand but not too much since he reloads for those 2 calibers and other rifle calibers. He has reloaded since the early 70's.

Today is Wednesday and most likely he will go to the range. I may go with him or on another day. We may get some warmer (!?!) days this coming weekend. We usually do NOT go to the range on a weekend especially since he retired several years ago.

Take care!

Cate
    Venture Surplus ad

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    This might make you a nice knife. I won't buy a partial-tang knife, but these are supposedly made the same way as those harshly tested for the SEALS, so hopefully it will be durable.
    Hello,

Thank you.

This SEAL PUP is a full tang knife from what I read and did my research on with this SOG knife.

I only buy full tang fixed blade knives.

Ka-Bar - Made in New York

Buck - Made in Idaho

Etc.

I never did own a blade like this one though. Partially serrated blade.

Snippet:

The partially serrated full-tang 4.85” Bowie-style blade is crafted in cryogenically hardened AUS-8 stainless steel and sunk to the heel in a glass-reinforced nylon grip designed not to slip.

My SOG Seal Pup knife's sealed box from Cabela's says FULL tang blade on it too.

Take care!

Cate

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I stand corrected. I didn't find.those words "full-tang" in the link. I also looked up the knife at BladeHQ, KnifeCenter, and SMKW, but none told me the tang type.

And I should have been more clear - I don't consider a knife to be full-tang unless I can actually see the steel all the way through (and same shape) as the handle, and the handle has rivits or screws actually holding the knife handle (scales) to the steel - because I've not had good experience with anything less.

Some knife companies consider "full-tang" to be just a skinny strip of steel through the handle to the butt - I do not, because 1) the overmolded handle will become loose and separate, and 2) knives having a.skinny through-handle tang are weaker, and have failed me.

Nonetheless, this SEAL Pup knife is advertised as being made the same way as its big brother which passed the Navy's test standards, so it should serve you well.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Should be a good knife. I like aus 8 stainless. It’s affordable and holds an edge. Have had many in that stainless.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Good looking knife Cate! I like that one. How does it feel in your hand?

comfortable?

balanced?

FYI, I have a partially serrated blade knife, and I like it.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    I stand corrected. I didn't find.those words "full-tang" in the link. I also looked up the knife at BladeHQ, KnifeCenter, and SMKW, but none told me the tang type.

And I should have been more clear - I don't consider a knife to be full-tang unless I can actually see the steel all the way through (and same shape) as the handle, and the handle has rivits or screws actually holding the knife handle (scales) to the steel - because I've not had good experience with anything less.

Some knife companies consider "full-tang" to be just a skinny strip of steel through the handle to the butt - I do not, because 1) the overmolded handle will become loose and separate, and 2) knives having a.skinny through-handle tang are weaker, and have failed me.

Nonetheless, this SEAL Pup knife is advertised as being made the same way as its big brother which passed the Navy's test standards, so it should serve you well.
    No problem!

I totally UNDERSTAND what you wrote about the full tang and the construction of many full tang knives!

Example: My Ka-Bar - Made in New York famous military knives, etc.

That goes for some that I own and ones that my husband owns including several of his custom made knives.

Ones that he picked out from some of his MT and ID knifemaker friends. I picked out the handles for those knives - 3 so far. Totally FULL TANG fixed blade knives even if they are smaller sized knives in the entire knife length. Top to bottom.

That would include some former knives that we gifted and a couple that we sold too. Nam era and other fixed blade knives.

They were made in America, England, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Japan, etc.

Anyway, I do totally understand what you mean with a solid - full tang in many fixed blade knives.

I don't do pictures (I am dense here in some computer things.) but maybe my husband could help me with this.

QUESTION to you or any other forum member:

If pictures are put up by him or me with HIS HELP - can they be DELETED easily down the road by ME should I want to delete some personal custom made or factory knives?

I deleted some of our old range, travel and FIREARM pictures from an old board that I used to belong to many years ago. It was easy to do since my husband ASKED ME to delete them there. He had already left the place and I left it after him several years down the road.

They were not physical pictures of us (Face/body.) but my right arm did show in one of them with me pointing at the mountain goats close to where I used to live up in the Sapphire Mountains. The main road that I traveled up to Grizzly Creek.

Thanks again.

Take care!

Old Lady Cate

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    Good looking knife Cate! I like that one. How does it feel in your hand?

comfortable?

balanced?

FYI, I have a partially serrated blade knife, and I like it.

It feels fine! Thank you for asking.

I usually pick out my own KNIFE or knives after I personally handle it in my hands just like I did or do with firearms.

Same deal with any item that I buy including my former outdoor equipment, etc.

The knife has to FIT ME and my hands well. This was when I was younger and especially now with my old lady hand issues.

Plus even when I owned, CARRIED and used several folding - pocket knives!

I had to be able to open them easily even when I was younger due to the bad fall - accident and learning how to use my arm, hand and fingers all over again once I was OUT of the plaster cast plus my broken up sore body.

I am very picky about knives as I was about my former firearms.

This SOG Seal Pup was the FIRST knife that I did not personally HANDLE FIRST and only read and studied about before the purchase.

My husband told me that he actually saw them in Cabela's and I told him that I would think about it and maybe go down there to check it out.

He decided to bring one home for ME a few days later! He did say that if I did not want it or LIKE IT that he would use it too.

Sorry for my ramble here! I just had a home made expresso coffee since I am doing some work here at my desk in the WEE hours. Plus I just threw a load of laundry in the washing machine while I am listening to an overseas podcast. Grin.

Take care!

Old Lady Cate

KBMiii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    San Antonio
    image.jpg

Hello, the SOG pup is an excellent blade and will serve you well! I have had mine for 10 years and it has been through the ringer.
    If you can find the old soft nylon sheath, get one because it allows for the storage of a full size MT as seen in my pic.

PS, a wise person once said that a folding knife is just a broken fixed blade!

Ken

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    View attachment 385313

Hello, the SOG pup is an excellent blade and will serve you well! I have had mine for 10 years and it has been through the ringer.
    If you can find the old soft nylon sheath, get one because it allows for the storage of a full size MT as seen in my pic.

PS, a wise person once said that a folding knife is just a broken fixed blade!

Ken

Thanks for your input too!

Cate

Top Bottom