• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Watching tv with the family. Ritalin comes over the tube. Kid asks ... Dad, were you raised on Ritalin or Padda-lin

I said Padda-lin ... they could mass medicate on the cheap and you didn't need a glass of water.
    Texas SOT

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Man I had a paddle with my name on it in High School.
    If it was not one of the coaches it was the vice p that was swinging.
    As long as I did not have to see the Sr. Vice P it was ok but if you went to him - well lets say no one left without tears and fears from his office! LOL!!!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Ritalin is the biggest ripoff. It does nothing.
    Not true! It does work if it is needed but if it is not it is stupid. The doctors put me on that shit in junior high and I quit taking it and learned how to control my ADD not the other way around. Ritalin has it's place on extreme cases . But it should be used as an aid to get to the point of control not as a permanent solution.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    AI also got my ass beat on a regular basis. My mother said that all my life I laughed threw almost every padlin I got. My dad had a feed store and got creative, he had a show stick for pigs. for those that are not red necks this is a 3' 5/8" fiberglass dow rod with nylon wrapped around it. When he did not have one of those it was a horse whip (same thing just with a leather loop at the end)

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Mine picked up an old shingle to paddle me with, it broke, I laughed, I didn't laugh when he whacked my rear with his coiled lariat rope.....

Mom didn't paddle, much worse, when I goofed, she gave me bathroom KP, scrubbing the commode inside and out. Also Yard Bird duty, couldn't leave the yard to go play "over yonder". It worked better than paddling in my case.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    good,my kids will never have ADD/ADHD...LOL

they have a strong vitamin of AW when needed...
    A preventive measure. LOL Or at least that was the idea they had with me as a kid. The ass whippings did not phase me as a youngster at all. My dad would beat my ass up one side of the house and down the other and I would still not be ready stop. But I was a trouble child and it took me a long time to grow out of it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    ADD/ADHD is actually AWD

Ass Whippin' Deficient. I was cured in the 8th grade.

You sound just like me, until I got educated about it.

My now 13 year old daughter began to have trouble in the 4th grade. She is a very bright kid, but just could not focus on her school work, or control talking. The subject's she was best in where the ones that she had the most trouble with.

She would come home and we would spend 3 hours getting 30 minutes worth of homework done, only to have her forget to turn it in or lose it. This is a motivated kid, as she desires to go to A&M with a Veterinary Degree specializing in Equine medicine. She knows it is all about GPA.

We tried lots of spankings, groundings, taking EVERYTHING away from her except her bed. We tried rewarding every minor accomplishment, acting like WE (her mom and I) didn't care. My daughter would cry and cry because she wanted to do well.

I was frustrated beyond belief. She was in a christian school at the time, and we had a meeting with the principal. She suggest we have my daughter tested for ADD. I was all, "hell no, you are not druggin my kid. She needs more ass beatings!"

She was never bad, didn't misbehave, but just had zero focus. In private schools they don't take TAKS, but do the old Iowa Test of Basic Skills. She was at least 3 grade levels above in everything, 4 in English, and scored in the 99th percentile across the board.

I went home and started to educate myself. I called a christian Doctor that I had done some work for in the past who is a diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, and a diplomate of the American Board of Forensic Medicine. Holding doctorate degrees in medicine and theology, he has been in private practice in the Dallas area since 1975. He gave me some specific research to do, and told me to bring my daughter to see him if, after actually having a clue what ADD was about, I wanted to explore further.

We took her in and it turns out she is ADHD. He prescribed Concerta for her, and the first day was like a miracle for my little girl. She came home from school thrilled. She told us she didn't feel differently, she just focused and got her work done.

In the 7th grade they tested her for Advance Placement, and she has an IQ of 120. She now works at the stables where she takes riding lessons, and earns commended on her TAKS. She is an A B honor student. We still struggle with planning and organization, but the Concerta has made it possible for this wonderful child to be what she was intended to be.

We believe as she gets older she will be able to self-manage her ADD without medication. But without it she would be am flunky, I an convinced.

I did copious amounts of research on this, and trust me, real ADD is NOT Asswhipping Deficit Disorder.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That is it, every thing but the great grades anyway. I have learned to self manege at a fairly early age ( The Doc said that) and I do still have a little organization problem :rolleyes: But I think as you get older you learn how to manege. I was diagnosed with both ADD and ADHD at one time or another. I still don't know witch one was accurate. But the Ritalin is out dated the ADD meds they have out now are supposedly a lot better.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    TXI,

If your daughter wants to be a vet, then she is a glutton for punishment.

Getting into med school is hard, but it is a lot easier than getting into vet school

There are 7 medical schools in TX, and most of them are very large (classes of around 200).

There are 24 vet schools in the nation.

I take my hat off to you, and good luck to your daughter.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I agree with TXInvestigator on this one. My wife's little brother is 13 (huge age gap) is ADHD. He is not a super intelligent kid, but he's not stupid either. However, he needs to be medicated to do school. He just wouldn't make it otherwise. One of the problems, however, is that when he takes his meds (he takes Strattera) he has no appetite and so he's not eating, but he also doesn't sleep well either. To counteract this, my MIL takes him off meds on weekends. That boy is a handful on the weekends. It's hard to believe he was only 2 yrs old when I met my wife.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not true! It does work if it is needed but if it is not it is stupid. The doctors put me on that shit in junior high and I quit taking it and learned how to control my ADD not the other way around. Ritalin has it's place on extreme cases . But it should be used as an aid to get to the point of control not as a permanent solution.

It did nothing for me. I should ask my mother if it had any visible effect. I don't remember feeling, thinking or acting any different.

ADD and ADHD are the biggest hoaxes in modern psychology, and I'm speaking as a former patient.

You sound just like me, until I got educated about it.

My now 13 year old daughter began to have trouble in the 4th grade. She is a very bright kid, but just could not focus on her school work, or control talking. The subject's she was best in where the ones that she had the most trouble with.

She would come home and we would spend 3 hours getting 30 minutes worth of homework done, only to have her forget to turn it in or lose it. This is a motivated kid, as she desires to go to A&M with a Veterinary Degree specializing in Equine medicine. She knows it is all about GPA.

We tried lots of spankings, groundings, taking EVERYTHING away from her except her bed. We tried rewarding every minor accomplishment, acting like WE (her mom and I) didn't care. My daughter would cry and cry because she wanted to do well.

I was frustrated beyond belief. She was in a christian school at the time, and we had a meeting with the principal. She suggest we have my daughter tested for ADD. I was all, "hell no, you are not druggin my kid. She needs more ass beatings!"

She was never bad, didn't misbehave, but just had zero focus. In private schools they don't take TAKS, but do the old Iowa Test of Basic Skills. She was at least 3 grade levels above in everything, 4 in English, and scored in the 99th percentile across the board.

I went home and started to educate myself. I called a christian Doctor that I had done some work for in the past who is a diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, and a diplomate of the American Board of Forensic Medicine. Holding doctorate degrees in medicine and theology, he has been in private practice in the Dallas area since 1975. He gave me some specific research to do, and told me to bring my daughter to see him if, after actually having a clue what ADD was about, I wanted to explore further.

We took her in and it turns out she is ADHD. He prescribed Concerta for her, and the first day was like a miracle for my little girl. She came home from school thrilled. She told us she didn't feel differently, she just focused and got her work done.

In the 7th grade they tested her for Advance Placement, and she has an IQ of 120. She now works at the stables where she takes riding lessons, and earns commended on her TAKS. She is an A B honor student. We still struggle with planning and organization, but the Concerta has made it possible for this wonderful child to be what she was intended to be.

We believe as she gets older she will be able to self-manage her ADD without medication. But without it she would be am flunky, I an convinced.

I did copious amounts of research on this, and trust me, real ADD is NOT Asswhipping Deficit Disorder.

I agree, it's not asswhipping disorder (not always, but it sometimes is) in your daughter's case. She's bored. I was there; that was me.

They put me on medication to try and cover up a problem with the teachers and curriculum. School was (and still is I bet) boring as hell because it's too slow-paced. How the hell could anybody even stay awake going through that crap!?

It's simply not challenging enough to be worth concentrating on. It's just like doing production work in a factory; shut your brain off and let yourself go on automatic.

Kids (and adults) need challenges for their minds. They need something to grab hold of and attack! The adult ADD craze IMO has been fueled by people who don't realize that you just need to let your mind wander when you're doing menial BS.

Example: I picked up some extra cash a while ago by loading 5.56 on a Dillon 1050. It was like meditating. Your body does one thing, and your mind just kind of does its own thing... And that's the way mindless tasks need to be performed, or you'll drive yourself insane with the monotony. Nobody can concentrate on an anti-intellectual task like that. Nobody.

I actually got bad grades simply because I was too bored to bother doing the work. Why bother doing it if it's so easy, right? I'm still kind of like that. Oil changes? Give those to a newbie; I'll take the hard jobs that require some brains. Gimme the engine light on the Mercedes or the rough-running BMW (actually, those have gotten too easy/boring lately...)

What I'm trying to say with my rambling is that there is nothing wrong with your daughter and that it's her teachers and the entire "educational" system that need the medicine!

I still can't go into a school to this day without breaking into a sweat, and I've been free of that prison for 14 years now.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom