• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I disagree with you on this one M Sage. I will say however that ADD and ADHD are the most frequently MISdiagnosed, by which I mean over-diagnosed. Many cases are simple cases of boredom and I'm happy for you this is the caase, but several are not.
    Venture Surplus ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It did nothing for me. I should ask my mother if it had any visible effect. I don't remember feeling, thinking or acting any different.

ADD and ADHD are the biggest hoaxes in modern psychology, and I'm speaking as a former patient.
    Did you read anything I wrote. It is not. Perhaps YOU were mis-diagnosed. I don't know, but you are completely wrong on this.

I agree, it's not asswhipping disorder (not always, but it sometimes is) in your daughter's case. She's bored. I was there; that was me.
    Negative. She LOVES school. She is also motivated and wants to do well. The advance placement classes challange her.

What I'm trying to say with my rambling is that there is nothing wrong with your daughter and that it's her teachers and the entire "educational" system that need the medicine!
    You have no idea what you are talking about. I have lived this. I have also done the research. I am sorry YOU had a bad experience, but that does not mean the entire medical community, my research and my own observations are wrong.

If I need my car worked on I'll call you though.........:rolleyes:

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    This reminds me of an old saying my mother used to have.

Brother: Mom, I don't feel good enough to go to school

Mom: That's too bad. When you get to school, ask to see the nurse. If you're sick, she'll send you home

I'm no doctor, haven't been interested enough to read more on the subject, and, did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I'm siding with M.Sage on this on. Probably because all the kids I've seen that are in this category, had crappy parents to begin with.

Also, I rarely medicate. If I have a headache, cold, etc., I never take anything for it.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    This reminds me of an old saying my mother used to have.

Brother: Mom, I don't feel good enough to go to school

Mom: That's too bad. When you get to school, ask to see the nurse. If you're sick, she'll send you home

I'm no doctor, haven't been interested enough to read more on the subject, and, did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I'm siding with M.Sage on this on. Probably because all the kids I've seen that are in this category, had crappy parents to begin with.

Also, I rarely medicate. If I have a headache, cold, etc., I never take anything for it.
    Gotta disagree with you too. I try to self medicate...whiskey and beer. LMAO

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    ADD and ADHD are the biggest hoaxes in modern psychology, and I'm speaking as a former patient.

Agree, while I understand there are extreme cases who need some type medication I fear its more often young teachers who do not want to deal with over energetic (mostly boys) and simply suggest drugs for control, and sad to say overworked mom's agree with them because it calms the children at home. As a youth I preferred out doors to school so I had a long fought battle with teachers however back in those days a "switch" or paddle was used and in most cases the ADD will disappear.;)

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    So I was wrong to? I'm not saying your own experiences are worthless.But M, every case is different. I got off that Ritalin and refused to get on anything else because I felt like dog shit on it. So I quite taking it. That said you might have not been properly diagnosed and overmedicated with the wrong meds. I was.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Glad to hear I'm completely wrong, despite everything I went through.
    I am not interested in your experiences. I KNOW my daughter, what we went through, and what someone with a hell of a lot more knowledge than YOU about the subject diagnosed and is treating her for.

Again, for car repairs I'll come see you.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    AI also got my ass beat on a regular basis. My mother said that all my life I laughed threw almost every padlin I got. My dad had a feed store and got creative, he had a show stick for pigs. for those that are not red necks this is a 3' 5/8" fiberglass dow rod with nylon wrapped around it. When he did not have one of those it was a horse whip (same thing just with a leather loop at the end)

the horsewhip thing was what my parents had to resort to. my dad would spank me with his hand as a youngster so then i would tighten my bottom and almost broke his pinky finger. haha. then they started using spatulas and i would break those as well without it really hurting and then when the horse whip happened man that was the LAST time i got spanked. the corner crap wouldnt work with me, i would just count the dots on the wall and so it didnt affect me, i made the best of the situation. my sister on the other hand cried like she had been spanked 100 times whenever she was put in the corner and spanking didnt even phase her. different punishment for different children i say

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    i don't believe in pharmaceuticals, it has it's place, but everything a pill will do you can find some natural form of it... and i don't support the whole industry wide strive not for wellness but for the almighty dollar

There is nothing inherently better about a "natural form" of a drug. It is just different. Many times synthetic drugs (or actually semi-synthetic drugs more often) are more efficient and have fewer side effects. But this isn't always the truth, and a case by case basis is needed to decide which is best.

As to the pharm industry going after the almightly dollar, we get more drugs by them going after the dollar than we would otherwise. Sometimes it isn't the drugs we want. Over half of the new drugs discovered are from the US. Essentially, the US is subsidizing drugs for the rest of the world. Things might be a little cheaper if they didn't spend 300 billion dollars a year on litigation.

I'm not saying the industry doesn't have problems, but things need to be put in perspective.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The problem is (now this just my opinion) that for the people who make the drugs, a cure is a bad business plan. If they cure the ailment then they won't sell as many drugs curing it. Now there is a guy (I forget his name) that claims that simply changing your diet will cure heart burn, allergies, and even cancer. He claims that the FDA is in bed with the drug companies to make money on the conventional synthetic drug sales. I don't know one way or the other on this I have not thought about it much. But as JK tex once said "just some brain food" (sorry JK but I like that phrase)

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The problem is (now this just my opinion) that for the people who make the drugs, a cure is a bad business plan. If they cure the ailment then they won't sell as many drugs curing it. Now there is a guy (I forget his name) that claims that simply changing your diet will cure heart burn, allergies, and even cancer. He claims that the FDA is in bed with the drug companies to make money on the conventional synthetic drug sales. I don't know one way or the other on this I have not thought about it much. But as JK tex once said "just some brain food" (sorry JK but I like that phrase)

The cure thing being bad for business is partly true. Some antibotic types aren't beind designed as fast as most doctors would like.

A lot of our problems result from being overweight and poor nutrition, but the idea that the FDA and the drug companies are in bed with each other to hide the truth to kill thousands of people in the US alone each year is simply stupid.

There is a lot of bull shit floating around where all you need is vitamin x and it will cure cancer blah blah blah.

It isn't true, and it helps people make bad decisions.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    You remember that paddling, especially the one with holes in them. Ritalin is basically cocaine, they don't remember nothing on that stuff. Histories of taking psycotropics will keep you from owning a gun, and creates suicidal thoughts.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Ritalin is not like cocaine when you are ADHD. People that are not ADHD have a reaction similar to meth or coke. People who are ADHD will calm down and can focus better.

Top Bottom