• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Ranges are such fun and always seem to draw a few soreheads. At Lake City AAP we had a huge outdoor one (well over a thousand meters) as well as a much smaller one indoors with bullet traps. The outdoor one had an old berm built by the Corps of Engineers, so you know. Anyway all NATO ammo batches had to be tested in all weapons used by all NATO nations. French machine guns tore hell out of cases, a very good test of annealing. Not surprisingly downrange property was the cheapest to be found in the county so here they came out from town. Things were okay with the 5.56 and the 7.62. But when firing .50 cal and 25mm, especially 25mm in the Vulcan; boy here they came. We lived several miles away in town and you could here the Vulcan and others when the wind was out of the north. There was one partially completed house near the range when I arrived and it was still there 14 years later when I escaped just as it was only a little worse for wear. Watching the tracer tests at night was way cheaper than fireworks and cars would park along the road for the show. Tracers are always fun and some batches produced real doozies, corkscrews, flameouts, blinkers, novas, etc. Complaints by the score arrived but hey, we were there first. Of course a few off-range bullet holes were found but hey, nobody's perfect.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Growing up not far from Camp Bullis back during the mid 1970’s night time gunfire was common. It was actually kinda neat to hear the ratta-tat-tat off in the distance. No one complained then. The army had been doing that stuff over there since WW1.
    Nowadays General Major Brigadier Karen commands everything so firing is very much reduced.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Seems like a person that would buy a house right next to an airport, then complain about the noise airplanes make landing and taking off!

I have more that a few people within earshot, including my father and brother that use to fire off quite a few rounds from AR's and AK's just about every weekend. Don't hear them as much anymore. Probably because ammo has gotten expensive and scarce. Doesn't bother me in the least.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Occams razor- the simplest solution is best.
    HOME OWNERS BLASTING PERMIT!
    Most places you need to take a safety course and the permit is reasonably priced. Neighbor calls Cops, BLOW A STUMP.
    Neighbor calls Cops again, BLOW 2 STUMPS.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Growing up not far from Camp Bullis back during the mid 1970’s night time gunfire was common. It was actually kinda neat to hear the ratta-tat-tat off in the distance. No one complained then. The army had been doing that stuff over there since WW1.
    Nowadays General Major Brigadier Karen commands everything so firing is very much reduced.

I live several miles from Camp Bullis and it is fun to read posts on Nextdoor from folks new to the neighborhood. They have never heard .50 cal and it spooks them.

Last edited:

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I had temporarily quartered in a 5th wheel trailer on a buddy's 10 acres. On many nights I heard a big rifle go off nearby. It would do that several times a night.

On one night it seemed like the muzzle was pointing way too close to where I was watching TV. I went outside with my 2011 and rapid fired 18+1 .45ACP into the ground nearby. Lotsa muzzle flash. Guy was done for the night.

I asked my buddy about it, and he said the guy was trying to chase deer out of his alfalfa. Hey, I been there, it's a useless effort. They become habituated to the noise and just ignore it. Local man got hammered for killing 28 elk on his property. He worked all day trucking and ran his ranch/farm after work and weekends. Elk were raiding the hay he had put up and desperately needed to see his cattle thru winter. The Fish and Fuzz would not help, just made a bunch of excuses and told him to use firecrackers. Well those didn't work... the elk ran aways but came right back. He finally just lost it and started blasting away. Bad deal all the way around.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I own land in Caldwell mines over 10.
    However 2.1 is all you need.
    In an unincorporated area of county in a subdivision 2.1 acres or more is all ya need.
    Counties can and do make their own rules.
    3aeccdefb4de51f4e2b088c26c19e427.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Counties can and do make their own rules.

They can make things less restrictive but they cannot make it more restrictive. State law is 10 acres in an unincorporated subdivision. Caldwell can say 2.1. Caldwell cannot say 20 acres.

If you're unincorporated AND not in a subdivision, the acreage doesn't matter.

Top Bottom