• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I sold my truck a while back as it was an expense that I didn't need and a headache that I didn't want. I bought my wife a Pathfinder as it suited our family needs well but I still needed a vehicle. For the first time in my life I didn't need a big truck to pull trailers constantly. I really didn't have any needs besides getting myself an hour away to jump in the company truck and head out of town.

So, I decided to get a toy. Well, kinda.

I have been looking at used military vehicles for a while and the right deal finally popped up.

Meet the m923a2. 6 wheel drive, 8.3l Cummins turbo diesel, and Allison transmission. A great combo of some of the best componants available.

It has the ability to forge water 8' deep and haul anything you could imagine. It also has the Central Tire Inflation System meaning I can air up or down the tires as I need with a built in air compressor. It is as awesome as you would think it could be. I just have to get it offroad and see what it can really do.

For now, just a picture in my driveway. I will get more up as I get it out and do some testing.

4885cd8af26fee11372b930f24b5b7f3.jpg
    DK Firearms

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Nice! Does that require a CDL?
    Technically yes. It is a 5 ton truck with air brakes. I have a CDL so that isn't a problem.

But as I take it some people register them as an RV and then it doesn't require one. I just have to find out about the legality of that.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Awesome!

Contemplated getting one when I lived in New Orleans for picking up the kids from school on those days when it flooded.

It would have been cool to pick them up and drop them off in it on sunny days as well!!

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    :roflfunny: I busted out right at quitting time.

Man, that is YOU! I hope it gives you much enjoyment and no headaches.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Anyone here ever been involved in testing the Duce n half or 5 Ton for acceptance?

While I was not directly involved I worked in R&D and we had all kinds of stuff going on. The truck testing was on a unimproved dirt road built for the test. I had one of my guys involved as a driver. More fun to not be involved and just get daily SITREPS. They drive the truck around and around like they stole it from the Soprano's. GOOD GRIEF, its brutal. When it breaks in swarms a team to analyze and repair and it takes off again. Its a 24x7 job. IIRC there are 6 drivers who split it up and they beat the living daylights out of those things.

Forgot the standard for the 5 Ton, but on the Duce it had to average 15 mph cross country on unpaved roads carrying MAX load.

As you now have one, meca for parts and stuff is just outside Texarkana Tex. Red River Army Depot is the (or was) the Depot support and can location for the trucks. Most are sold to local surplus houses in Texarkana, New Boston, Hooks and various towns around RRAD. Google is your friend.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    There's one on Craigslist in Cedar Park right now for $6500. That would haul my gear to Best of the West in style.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    How far have you driven it?
    60 miles or so. Pretty much just brought it home from the Cedar Park area.

And a few trips around the block to give my family rides.

Kinda weird looking down on truck drivers though. The tires are 49" (4'1") tall to give a little perspective.

Top Bottom