Oct 23, 2013
    That thing is freakin awesome

broberts001

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Lake Jackson
    I wanted to give everyone an update to the progress.

1. All leaks were fixed.

2. The vibration it is having has been found to be a bent rim on the rear axle. I suspected a unbalanced driveshaft, but I had it tested along with the other drivetrain - and no issues. It was as simple as this old rim that got bent at some point. Next, I need to find a dealer in Houston that sells some 15x7 smoothies to install on all four corners.

3. I finally got the suspension corrected to be a comfortable ride. Basically, they flipped the front and rear axles and installed some cheap Monroe shocks. The shocks made it drive like an old boat, providing no resistance to the up and down movement. This would lead to the rubber bumpers hitting, causing a crappy ride.

I was able to resolve this issue by installing some Doetsch Nitro Slammer shocks - made specifically for lowered sport trucks. Now, the stiffer shocks allow a smoother ride and control the amount of up and down movement.

Last edited:

broberts001

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Lake Jackson
    The issues, in total, I do not blame GMG for. The motor issues were the engine builder (they never adjusted the lash), the oil leaks, I expect that with an old motor, pans get bent over the years from mechanics not installing it correctly. The wheels are old , 1950's wheel - plus they are the same one that came with the truck when they purchased it from the owner. They simply cleaned them up and painted them. The shocks were the same ones that came on the truck when they purchased it from the owner. 1990's Monroe "blue" shocks.

Now, GMG they could have spent a few dollars to get new wheels and shocks, but I am happy to correct them myself.

Now, the issues that piss me off were the lack of information I got from the seller on eBay. He neglected to disclosed some of these issues, wiring issues, etc after I specially asked. However, said that, this truck is a dream to drive and is one of my all time favorite Chevy P/U years. The only difference is I would not have bid as high / paid as much if I knew of some of these issues had to be fixed.

I will say that this truck was 95% when I got it. The underside is fantastic - new wiring, new bolts, new brake lines, fuel lines, driveline, etc. The finishing touches were the only things left.

-Bryan

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Ok, I understand. On their show they are all about flipping cars for fast cash and they don't seem to go into extreme detail like Chip Foose would do on one of his re-builds. It seems like you almost got what you expected and are happy with it, congratulations. So I am thinking that the issues with the ebay guy were probably not related to the work done by Gas Monkey, right? Or should have been disclosed for what they were.

Still it's a nice looking truck and you should be proud of it.

broberts001

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Lake Jackson
    Update: I replaced the white 15x5 wheels that came from Gas Monkey with some chrome smoothies, 15x7's in back and some 15x6's in front.

WP_20140419_017_zps4c3c9ed0.gif

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I DVRed FNL last night and saw your truck.

It was a best of kind of show and it was seen for a few seconds ... but it was this truck.

Eddie Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Amarillo
    So, I'm wondering.........is their work quality or sub-par? How does Gas Monkey stand up to the rest of the competition?

Nice looking pick-up, by the way!

broberts001

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Lake Jackson
    Mine is quality, but you have to remember, it was a rebuild - not a hot rod. It uses all original parts, just rebuilt. Their other builds - are a mystery to me.

-Bryan

Top Bottom