• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwo4uscgret

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    near the Alamo
    Attended the Dallas Gun and Knife Show this past weekend. Didn't sell any knives but I did buy something "Special".

Gene Baskett is a very good custom knife maker from Kentucky. Gene is one of the pioneers of knife makers who use 1911 Stocks for knife handles. I have two of those (one, numbered "5" is his 5th one made; the other, with VZ stocks. Both knives have been posted here before if I remember right.

Two years ago I saw a hatchet that Gene made; with a very interesting handle; when closed the handle is 9-1/2"; expanded, 28". Gene used a police expandable baton for a handle. When I looked at it in Dallas and we reached a mutual agreed upon price; now the hatchet lives with me in Texas. Here are a few photos of it:

hatchet_1.jpg

hatchet_2.jpg

hatchet_5_001.jpg

hatchet_4.jpg

hatchet_3.jpg

cwo4uscgret

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    near the Alamo
    Bozz - I believe it would be a hawk with an expandable baton handle. Sadly its not an ASP - wanted to adjust the spring tension to make it harder to close but its different then an ASP.

ZX9 - can't answer that one yet!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That is a pretty cool idea. It doesn't look very tough though with the last section being so skinny.

Does the head spin while you are holding the handle? That looks like it may be an issue as well.

cwo4uscgret

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    near the Alamo
    I doubt I would use it with the handle in its full open condition - I suspect that if it wasn't a square strike the hawk head may twist a little. Closed, the handle is threaded and locks the hawk closed. I bought it for the uniqueness of it - I will have to charge up the GoPro and video it in action!

If it ever got to the point of using it in defense of my wife or I (or "my castle") I'm not going to worry about the legalities of it!

Top Bottom