• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here are the pictures I spoke of earlier:

Springfield M1884 made in 1889. I wanted one ever since I saw the 1873 sitting on the rifle rack at my grandparents house. I load for this one, and it's great fun to bust rocks up at 150 yards with it.
    IMG_2455.jpg

Here's the 1891 Argentine sporter, made in 1893 by Loewe Berlin. Big plans here: Fiber optic or tritium sights, stock work (since it's been cut down anyway) including a recoil pad, and possibly an ebony forend. Might put a Timney Sportsmen in there sometime as well.
    IMG_2516.jpg

Here's a rather special Arisaka Type 99. I had no idea what I was really buying when I purchased it, but for $125 I couldn't pass it up.
    IMG_2528.jpg

It turns out that it was converted to .30-06 during the Korean War. Somewhat rare over here, and it's not import stamped so best guess is that it was a bring-back. A real mule to shoot, but a neat piece of history.
    IMG_2529.jpg

My 1939 Tula 91/30. Sporting a few hidden bedding mods, along with a Huber concepts trigger. Paid a little extra for this rifle back in 2007, to get one with the clean brass handguard ends and a nice bore. I used to hunt deer and feral pigs with it, but it's way more rifle than needed for those tasks.
    IMG_2532.jpg
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Continued:

My Remington 700 in .243 Win., it's a beast. Aluminum bedded composite stock, completely gone through and lightened older trigger unit @ 1 3/4 lb., single piece base with the ring bottoms built in so it's completely solid. Ridiculous for a hunting rifle, blue box Federal shoots sub MOA no problems. I managed to find the old Bushnell scope in a shop not long after I put the rifle together, it's an older Bausch and Lomb designed 4x-12x, with adjustable objective.
    IMG_2534.jpg

Last centerfire rifle I own, Remington 1903A3 sporter in original .30-06 caliber. I've bedded the chamber, then free-floated the barrel, and had a recoil pad installed. Also threw a vintage Tasco 4x on there that I got from my grandfather's collection. Aside from that it's as I bought it.
    IMG_2538.jpg

For all the purists out there: I like to keep any military rifle I get in issued configuration, just the way it was made. I do have a soft-spot for sporters though. Even my Argentine's barreled action and bolt will not be modified permanently from where they sit now. I know some people dislike military sporters, and I get that mindset. However, they are fun, and with most military bolt-actions being made so well, they are great platforms to tinker with.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I had a sporter British 303. Loved to shoot it, and have even killed deer with it. But my brother in law had a full length wood model that his wife gave him for Christmas one year. She died a few months after, and he didn't want it. So I traded him even for the sporter. I miss it, but it was for a good reason. That full wood model has little recoil due to the weight.

zx9rt1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    I've never actually fired a Lee-Enfield rifle of any sort, but some day I'll have one in my collection I'm sure.

No Lee Enfield? From what I've been told, if you collect milsurp rifles you have to have an Lee Enfield. It's state law! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    The Enfields are great but .303 British ammo is about non existent today. It's easy to reload and uses the same bullet as the 7.7 Japanese.

The Ishapore version of the Enfield was redesigned with a new receiver and chambered for 7.62 Nato. I refinished two of them but never got them out to shoot.

Flash
    I am now the proud owner of one of the Ishapore Enfields in 7.62. Can't wait to get it out to the range.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The Enfields are great but .303 British ammo is about non existent today. It's easy to reload and uses the same bullet as the 7.7 Japanese.

Flash

That 303 British ammo is plentiful at the gun shows. I assume most of the surplus is corrosive, but as long as you clean it right away, no worries. But I also see Rem, Win and other commercial offerigs. But the reloading is the way to go.

Top Bottom