• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt_g

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I thought I would post a few pics up and see what kind of ideas others may have to add to this. I started with a 5x9 trailer. Bench dimensions are 32"x9ft.

I have tin on order for the roof as well as 3ft fold down awnings on both sides. Roof will be 7'5" from the floor of the trailer.

I am going to add 2 fold down jacks in the rear for leveling/stability purposes.

If anyone can think of any other ideas I could add to this I would appreciate it!

E7822F75-7FBA-4C4A-85A5-574965A9E897-4042-0000034A7990D338_zps9dcdd6f1.gif

B2CD3042-5DA5-4A7E-917E-0AAA788D0DB1-4042-0000034A8017C129_zps026d0368.gif

Thanks,
    Matt Green
    Brenham, Texas
    Venture Surplus ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You will probably want the chairs movable and adjustable. Fixed chairs seldom work well for a broad spectrum of firearms.

Good plan on the jacks. I was thinking the same thing.

Some sides and you have a portable blind. Looks good.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm wondering if the roof won't cause excessive movement in wind.
    I'd sure mount a dry box though.

Matt_g

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    You will probably want the chairs movable and adjustable. Fixed chairs seldom work well for a broad spectrum of firearms.

Good plan on the jacks. I was thinking the same thing.

Some sides and you have a portable blind. Looks good.

Yeah I tried to figure out how to get height, side to side and front to back adjustment with no luck, but that's something I can add later on. I'm really looking forward to testing it and figuring out what needs to be improved. I am strongly considering putting sides on and insulating it. It would be a great ground blind/ all weather shooting bench.

Thanks for the input sir!

Matt_g

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Is the table bolted together or screwed?

The roof structure will be made of 1.5" by 1/4" walled square tubing in order to give it the strength and rigidity I think it needs. We will see as we go though. The table is screwed together as of now but I plan on going back with 3/8" carriage bolts in each of the legs unless You have any ideas? Anything I'm overlooking? I'm always open to suggestions/pointers.

Thanks

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The roof structure will be made of 1.5" by 1/4" walled square tubing in order to give it the strength and rigidity I think it needs. We will see as we go though. The table is screwed together as of now but I plan on going back with 3/8" carriage bolts in each of the legs unless You have any ideas? Anything I'm overlooking? I'm always open to suggestions/pointers.

Thanks

Good call on the carriage bolts.
    Let us know how it works.

Matt_g

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Well thanks. Things are moving pretty quick being I just started it on Saturday. Should have the roof framed up (and possibly on) this weekend!

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Yeah I tried to figure out how to get height, side to side and front to back adjustment with no luck, but that's something I can add later on..

I'm thinking of a couple of wide (fore and aft) padded benches instead of seats - a simple height adjustment would be easily doable - side to side and front to back adjustment could be made simply by moving one's butt

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    What a great idea! Other than adding some storage and a couple of receptacles for a laptop, fans, or whatever I think you've got it goin' on.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Why a fixed seat? A simple rack up front to hold folding chairs gives almost infinite adjustment.

roof design will be critical pulling it at 70mph.
    i've seen a few BBQ trailers that have a telescoping designed roof. More engineering but makes an easier towing package.

tripod stability is great for supporting mass at the center. But walking off the trailer in front of the tires might cause some teetering especially if the person exiting is a robust individual and carrying a 50 cal with 100 rounds of ammo.

just a few ideas playing devils advocate.

great idea and a great project.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Wow, impressive, Matt! Great job. I have a, possibly stupid, idea. I think it'd be cool to make the roof collapsable, in three pieces that move. Lightweight material will give the platform independence from movement from wind, and when you're finished, the roof can collapse down, by using light metal poles, and fold in a way that covers the table. So, it will look like a box in travel. Then, when you get to your location, raise the roof on it's poles and adjust the 3 piece roof to block out sun and rain. The top of the roof being the dimensions of the platform, and the front and back being the width and height of the table. In my head it'd be easy to make, with poles and canvas. Maybe some flip down stairs on that cropped corner? Hmmm, I'd also enclose the outer parts of the table, or a portion, so that I could use it for storage when not in use, or while transporting. Just a couple of crazy ideas... Looks great though! Please update us!

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Many people enjoy shooting moving targets but you sir, YOU have taken things to a whole new level :laughing:

I'm thinking of a couple of wide (fore and aft) padded benches instead of seats - a simple height adjustment would be easily doable - side to side and front to back adjustment could be made simply by moving one's butt
    Agreed.

Press on Matt, looking forward to the final product. ;)

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    One range I went to has boxes for chairs. The key is that the boxes are not square but intentionally different sizes depending on which side you use. I thought the idea was very intelligent. Easy to adjust for height and placement. Maybe just build one incase you need a different sitting height than your chairs.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    OOOOHHHHH..... I love that shop!

Suggestions? I'm a big guy and always look at what I'm sitting on with a careful eye. The seats are mounted on two separate planks. A big guy could really get those to wobble. A larger plate at the bottom attached to more of the planks would sturdy it up.

I like the project! Nice job!

Flash

Top Bottom