• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    We had downsized to one vehicle since we had moved here. We were doing very well with just the CRV but, I've had my eye out for a beater truck for a while now. I don't need a truck, I just want one. Well, I found a 2000 Ford Ranger. A 92 year old gentleman had it and had owned it for 2 years. He said that he bought from an old guy in Beaumont. Hahaha He's 92 and bought it from an old guy. He was a fine old fellow and could have easily passed for 75, he was sharp as a tack.

Anyway, the previous owner had come down with Alzheimers and the truck had sat for about 3 years before he sold it to my seller. It's got the 3.0 V6, auto, A/C, and that's about it, with 76K actual miles. No tire pressure monitors, no lane departure warnings, no back up camera. And, it has roll up/down windows! I'd almost forgotten how to use a window crank. I think it will be a pretty good old truck to beat around in.

Ford Ranger1.jpg

Ford Ranger2.jpg

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    We had downsized to one vehicle since we had moved here. We were doing very well with just the CRV but, I've had my eye out for a beater truck for a while now. I don't need a truck, I just want one. Well, I found a 2000 Ford Ranger. A 92 year old gentleman had it and had owned it for 2 years. He said that he bought from an old guy in Beaumont. Hahaha He's 92 and bought it from an old guy. He was a fine old fellow and could have easily passed for 75, he was sharp as a tack.

Anyway, the previous owner had come down with Alzheimers and the truck had sat for about 3 years before he sold it to my seller. It's got the 3.0 V6, auto, A/C, and that's about it, with 76K actual miles. No tire pressure monitors, no lane departure warnings, no back up camera. And, it has roll up/down windows! I'd almost forgotten how to use a window crank. I think it will be a pretty good old truck to beat around in.

View attachment 236264

View attachment 236265
    Great find. That should serve you well.
    Speaking of CR-V and tire pressure monitors....
    We have a 2010 CR-V. We also have a VERY steep gravel driveway (estimated at 22% grade). We had lots of trouble getting up it in the Honda (2WD). It seems that the traction control functions by limiting power....we'd slow down and then spin tires trying to get up. I found that by disabling the traction control I could keep our speed up and make it pretty handily. Then, the TPMS system went bonkers and was putting the panel light on. Then the disable feature broke. I found out that it was tied to the TPMS. I finally got it to go off and the traction disable worked again!
    Long story to say that the tire pressure monitoring feature isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    A friend of mine had one as a work truck. Last time we talked about it, he said it had almost 300,000 total miles on it. That was about 5-6 years ago. No telling what i might have now.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Mother-In-Law was gifted a used Ranger from her brother when her 68 Plymouth gave out in the late 90's. She only drove it 2 or 3 times a month for short trips. She lived on a busy road in a small town and was constantly being asked if she'd sell it. Her health went downhill and I would have bought it but I didn't need a 2nd pickup. I had 3 guys start a bidding war when I sold it. It's probably still running now!

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I had a Ranger in '88 the extended cab. On the third day of ownership it caught fire. Some moron at a Ford assembly plant ran a wire bundle through a motor mount. I purchased this new, the then Ford dealership in Columbus TX would not give me a loaner. So for 2 weeks while this was being rewired, I was without a vehicle. I have not purchased a Ford product since, all because of a lousy service call by someone at the dealership. I have purchased nothing but Chevrolets at my local dealership in Weimar TX. Has every Chevrolet been perfect, no, BUT SERVICE at then Brasher Motors, and now Cavender has been A+.

I do like Ford products, but that one experience has lost Ford a customer. I have purchased in that time 14 Chevrolet and/or GMC products, and currently have a Duramax and a Sierra.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I had a 94, bought new, same color...it’s great because it’s the same color as dirt

Mine had a club cab, 2.3L 5-speed.
    Almost forgot about that truck until I saw this thread.

Wish I still had it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I had a Ranger in '88 the extended cab. On the third day of ownership it caught fire. Some moron at a Ford assembly plant ran a wire bundle through a motor mount. I purchased this new, the then Ford dealership in Columbus TX would not give me a loaner. So for 2 weeks while this was being rewired, I was without a vehicle. I have not purchased a Ford product since, all because of a lousy service call by someone at the dealership. I have purchased nothing but Chevrolets at my local dealership in Weimar TX. Has every Chevrolet been perfect, no, BUT SERVICE at then Brasher Motors, and now Cavender has been A+.

I do like Ford products, but that one experience has lost Ford a customer. I have purchased in that time 14 Chevrolet and/or GMC products, and currently have a Duramax and a Sierra.

Much of the same reason I switched to buying Dodge products many years. How they deal with customers after the sale is more important than selling the vehicle the first time. The Ford dealership in our town lost us many years ago, because of a similar incident.

Top Bottom