My truck dead?

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by houseofamon, Apr 7, 2018.

1. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Altered Vector

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    Fenders are high strength steel. They're heated up all the time. Especially to pop out hail dents. Shrink stretched metal. Modern frames are hydroformed. They stick a tube of the steel in a mould. Pressurised water pushes the tub to the shape of the form. Ta-Da, frame rail. It's technically cold forged. Some frames have accordion crinkles along the very front. If it gets crushed its a one time thing on crash protection. It's not meant to be straighten back out. The entire rail needs to be replaced.

I've been GM certified in frame repair. Nothing beats new. No matter how well you try to get it back that way. Close but not the same. If it was so, salvaged titled stuff would command more money. There's a difference and it can affect the vehicle. If a crashed vehicle doesn't bother you. That's ok to.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. rman

rman Well-Known

Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    not all fenders are high strength. actually very few, mostly in some BMWs. Rear quarter panels are more common, majority of inner quarters. Ironically GM uses almost no high strength steel in their vehicles.

The main issue is HSS is visually identical to regular mild steel. So it really depends on the shop.

I understand what you are saying and I don't disagree. Especially with unibodies... well, maybe. A lot of them nowadays are have separate pieces, like framehorns, etc. that can be replaced.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

3. houseofamon

houseofamon New Member TGT Supporter

Dec 21, 2017
    Schertz
    Truck was totaled according to esurance.

4. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Probably best.
    Have fun truck shopping.

5. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Long as you weren't upside down in it....

6. sidebite252

sidebite252 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Man I just watched the video. Brake checkers piss me off!

7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Especially in the fast lane.