• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoyJack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    Breckenridge, Texas
    This past weekend we hosted 5 disabled vets on a Texas hunt.
    This is the second year we have done this. I spent 2 years before that getting local ranchers on board with my ideas. The lodge I'm affiliated with provides most of the funds thru grants. The first year I had 1800 acres, this year I had 5500 acres opened up for my project. The idea is to bring disabled vets in for a hog hunt. We furnish a place to stay, a couple meals, and various odds & ends.

The ranchers have declared they are overrun with doe and would like them thinned out, also. The ranchers are very supportive of our event and they have their neighbors and friends wanting to get involved. I think I'll have over 10,000 acres next year to divide a new group of vets up for. Some of the ranchers guide the vets, some just open up for whatever we want to do. It is growing big enough now that I can't do it all with 1 helper, so I brought in a local retired vet to help this year.

We declared this hunt a success Sunday evening with some hog and deer backstraps cooked on the grill.

I'll add some pics later. The tally was 5 doe, 2 bucks, 12 hogs in 3 days. Also, countless hours of camaraderie. I get an enormous amount of pleasure from this opportunity to give a little something to the guys that paid a price for my freedom.

IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0488.jpg IMG_0508.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

JoyJack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    Breckenridge, Texas
    Thanks guys, I just wanted to share something positive. It is very rewarding to be able to do this. I got involved with a group called Camp Valor that reached out to me a few years ago about doing this. They vet all the participants for me. It took a couple years to find the right ranchers that wanted to be involved that also had a large enough property to support the program. After the first hunt, it didn't take long for word to spread and we gained a lot of support.
    The group has asked about bass fishing and duck hunting, I'm reaching out to some local folks now. As well as considering a spring hunt and planning another fall hunt.

It warms my heart to see all the support for these efforts. I'll share more as I can. Obviously I'm in the Breckenridge, Texas area.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Thanks for sharing this with us @JoyJack. If there's an opportunity next time to volunteer/ support, I'd appreciate the opportunity to help. I'd especially like to use a paid "my community day" from my employer to support causes such as this. My employer increasingly moves further and further left, away from traditional values of those who served our great nation.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    That is outstanding. A guy I worked with was part of the same thing up in north Texas. Sur emakes me happy when I see this being done.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom