• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    After renting many different handguns at Bullet Trap in Plano my wife finally decided on what she wants to carry. We picked it up at Cabellas the other day. She'll be taking her CHL class soon and wants to carry it in some type of CC purse. We're thinking about trying the shoulder bag that Croosbreed makes.

This Ruger GP100 was most comfortable for her small hands. It's chambered for .357mag but she'll shoot .38spl for the time being.

Firearms010.gif

Firearms008.gif

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    That is a great choice.I had the sp101 in .327 but could not find ammo for it.

rrent

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    My wife (she's been here from Canada for 10+ years) started with a wheel gun in 38 spl and loved it --- she tried a few semi-autos and liked a Walter P99 --so we bought her one for her CHL.

Is you wife going to shoot the revolver for her CHL?

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I know you didn't ask, but it's a good idea to take the CHL class with a semi. If you take it with a semiauto, you can carry a revolver or semi. If you take it with a revolver, you can ONLY carry a revolver. She may one day want a semiauto.....back to class.

Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    We considered the Sp101 in .327 but didn't get it for that reason. I couldn't find any ammo locally in .327. And Midway said they were all out.

Yes we are aware, she'll take here CHL with a Glock19 barrowed from my Brother-in-law.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Good revolver, and one you can depend on to function perfectly. Perhaps that is just a photo op picture, but let me recomend gripping as high as possible. That will aid greatly in handling recoil. I understand the CHL process is up to 6 months after submission due to the current activity, so get that done asap.

Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    Good revolver, and one you can depend on to function perfectly. Perhaps that is just a photo op picture, but let me recomend gripping as high as possible. That will aid greatly in handling recoil. I understand the CHL process is up to 6 months after submission due to the current activity, so get that done asap.

Photo op picture? Yes

So far she has been doing well at the range with grip.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Nice wheel gun for your wife man.

My dad and I got my mother and sister their first handguns for Christmas this year. We got them a matched set of Julie Goloski special edition S&W M&P 9mm's. They seem to really like them. I have had to buy myself an M&P after shooting theirs a couple times....

GLI45

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    My wife has the identical revolver and she loves it. After having a CZ 83 in .380, a 9mm Taurus Millenium Pro, and a 9mm Witness Compact she tried out the Ruger GP100 on a recommendaton from the owner of our local range/gun store and loved it immediatly. Her semi autos now sit in the safe like neglected step children.

Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    She's getting used to shooting now. We shoot almost once a week at least. Everyone we go shooting with loves to shoot this GP100 also. It's so smooth! With .38 recoil is very comfortable.

After getting more time on the range she is begining to get more comfortable shooting my other pistols. She likes the CW9 now.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    I know you didn't ask, but it's a good idea to take the CHL class with a semi. If you take it with a semiauto, you can carry a revolver or semi. If you take it with a revolver, you can ONLY carry a revolver. She may one day want a semiauto.....back to class.

Not back to class, just need to take the range qualification again. But why spend another $50 for the range qualify and whatever the cost to update the CHL, right?

Personally I qual'd with my GP100 because I only shoot, carry, and own non-semiautomatics. After taking inventory of my hunting weapons, I noticed there are no NSAs there either. Hmmm, I see a bias here.

Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    She now likes my new Para Carry 9 too. We got to shoot it this past Sunday.

We havn't signed her up for the CHL class yet. Hopefully it'll be this summer sometime.

tju1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    McKinney Texas
    We considered the Sp101 in .327 but didn't get it for that reason. I couldn't find any ammo locally in .327. And Midway said they were all out.

Yes we are aware, she'll take here CHL with a Glock19 barrowed from my Brother-in-law.

You can shoot .32 SW Long and .32 H&R Mags out of the .327--- I will probably get one (.327) but the SS Taurus offering...

Top Bottom