• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    NOLA, it was fun after the Hurricane, I lived in some of the Quarter House apartments, about 50 yds from Bourbon Street. It was fun, but dangerous as well. I remember the first night I went out, some dumb ass cut another guy's throat, and the mounted military guys were out looking for him. I spent a lot of time with the locals, Flick's, Hebert's, and other's. I gambled nearly every night at the Treasure Chest, outside of Kenner. Rick's and some others were regular hangouts, the strippers were fun.
    Guns International

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Right after Katrina it was pretty good. All the thugs had gone to Houston and San Antonio. But it got bad again about 10 years after that. Maybe Latoya will go the way of Ray Nagin... She just needs a good Hurricane to get some money to steal.

Alan
    Yes, we were living in central Houston in 2005. “Refugees” terrorized our neighborhood, robbing & murdering. But by the time we moved to N.O. in 2008, the crime was so bad hat when we ventured out, both carbine and riot gun were out, and two loaded GLOCKS rode on our center console. When I tell of those days now, folks think I’m exaggerating.

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    We were sent into post Katrina New Orleans in January of 2006 to rebuild a trucking terminal lost in the flood.

So that's like 6mo. after the storm. What we found was shocking to say the least. Our terminal was located in the lower 9th Ward, one of the hardest hit due to the levee breaches.

There was a bathtub ring around everything. That was the high water mark where 80% of the city was flooded with a toxic gumbo made up of brackish water and various chemicals.

At first it was deathly quite. No dogs barking, no birds singing. Everything covered with a fine moon dust that was the dried residue.

No stoplights, no police, no hospital beds. The National Forest Service was fighting residential fires with helicopters because all of the water mains under the streets were broken.

I would go to work before dawn and if I saw other headlights behind me, blocks away I would take evasive action.

On several occasions I had to call 911 and the phone just rang and was never answered.

Gradually the thugs returned and after several months of lawlessness the National Guard was brought in. They set up in our yard as we had 10ft electric fences and gates.

The only apartment that we could find to rent was Uptown, in the 4200 blk. of St. Charles Avenue. A very nice neighborhood with dangerous areas just a few blocks away. We never walked after dark.

After a few years of recovery Federal money and oversight poured in and people were actually optimistic about the recovery. Dollar Bill Jefferson got re-elected and so did Ray Nagan....both ended up serving time.

I learned that the ENTIRE political system was corrupt and broken. They didn't prosecute murder cases because of witness intimidation and jury tampering. No one even wanted to serve on a jury because of the fear. Oh yeah, the District Attorney ended up in prison too. Broken. Beyond 3rd world broken. As in hopeless.

That's when I truly began to understand that laissez-faire attitude. People really didn't care because they have accepted it. It's always been that way, it will forever be that way. No amount of Federal money or nose poking in would EVER change things.

Once you get that down pat, the overwhelming sense of despair and hopelessness begins to make sense. Ignorance off the scale and everything that goes with it. People that will stand at the streetcar stop, next to a trashcan, and throw chicken bones on the ground.

We stayed 10 years and left because we were as much afraid of "the authorities" as the criminals.

I can only echo the advice....stay away.

OldChap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2021
    Houston area
    Our daughter went last week with a bunch of friends for Mardi Gras despite our warnings. At least she took her gun.

They had a fairly good time but when she got back home she said that was the end of their going there. She said you could "feel" the danger and the parade was a complete mess - no cops, no nothing.

At least if all the tourists stop going the DIM politicians will soon be running out of tax dollars. Maybe sanity will return to a once great city.

Until then the OP's post is right on target. Thinking of visiting N.O.? Think again.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We were sent into post Katrina New Orleans in January of 2006 to rebuild a trucking terminal lost in the flood.

So that's like 6mo. after the storm. What we found was shocking to say the least. Our terminal was located in the lower 9th Ward, one of the hardest hit due to the levee breaches.

There was a bathtub ring around everything. That was the high water mark where 80% of the city was flooded with a toxic gumbo made up of brackish water and various chemicals.

At first it was deathly quite. No dogs barking, no birds singing. Everything covered with a fine moon dust that was the dried residue.

No stoplights, no police, no hospital beds. The National Forest Service was fighting residential fires with helicopters because all of the water mains under the streets were broken.

I would go to work before dawn and if I saw other headlights behind me, blocks away I would take evasive action.

On several occasions I had to call 911 and the phone just rang and was never answered.

Gradually the thugs returned and after several months of lawlessness the National Guard was brought in. They set up in our yard as we had 10ft electric fences and gates.

The only apartment that we could find to rent was Uptown, in the 4200 blk. of St. Charles Avenue. A very nice neighborhood with dangerous areas just a few blocks away. We never walked after dark.

After a few years of recovery Federal money and oversight poured in and people were actually optimistic about the recovery. Dollar Bill Jefferson got re-elected and so did Ray Nagan....both ended up serving time.

I learned that the ENTIRE political system was corrupt and broken. They didn't prosecute murder cases because of witness intimidation and jury tampering. No one even wanted to serve on a jury because of the fear. Oh yeah, the District Attorney ended up in prison too. Broken. Beyond 3rd world broken. As in hopeless.

That's when I truly began to understand that laissez-faire attitude. People really didn't care because they have accepted it. It's always been that way, it will forever be that way. No amount of Federal money or nose poking in would EVER change things.

Once you get that down pat, the overwhelming sense of despair and hopelessness begins to make sense. Ignorance off the scale and everything that goes with it. People that will stand at the streetcar stop, next to a trashcan, and throw chicken bones on the ground.

We stayed 10 years and left because we were as much afraid of "the authorities" as the criminals.

I can only echo the advice....stay away.
    >

Thanks for sharing.

We got back in September 2008, and the City was still quiet, stinky, and housing was a mess.

Nagin did go to the federal pen @ Seagoville; but he was never even charged for his most serious crimes against his own citizens.

Judge Cannizzaro resigned from the bench to become D A in 2009. For a while it looked that he’d clean it up. But, when the locals sucessfully pressured him to charge Cordell Hayes w/ murder in the infamous “Will Smith” case, and Drew Brees interfered w/o sanction, the clearly innocent Hayes was convicted and sentenced. All of the actual witnesses said Hayes was the innocent party when attacked by Smith. I then figured if Brees could get away with forcing a miscarriage of Justice, I wanted out of there. Hayes finally got the conviction reversed, but he was permanently damaged. While Brees runs all around playing Mr Good Guy. Disgusting! LaToya was the ”last straw” for many; and we now see “Black Flight” to NorthShore b/c the corruption is too much for them. No one is safe there today; NO ONE !

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    I vividly recall the almost daily press conference held on the courthouse steps.

FBI Special Agent in Charge Jim Bernazzani was cleaning up the corruption. Lots of chest beating for just picking low hanging fruit in a target rich environment.

He got so full of his own hot air that he publicly flirted with the idea of running for mayor....another carpet bagger bites the dust.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >

Let me reiterate: Do visit us here in Louisiana, but stay West of the River or North of Lake Ponchartrain, and stay out of NW Baton Rouge & Shreveport.

We here in “Acadiana” have better food, excellent music, lower prices and much greater public safety. The small towns around Lafayette & Lake Charles have some of the World’s best “dining”.

Also, anyone desiring “Cajun” can just visit around Beaumont & Port Arthur, for a full dose of culture and some great foods, without leaving Texas.

And, since this is TGT, your EDC’s are welcome w/ CL’s, or you could OC, which has never been illegal here in LA.

The tragedy is inside Orleans Parish, and on l’ Isle d’Orleans.

leVieux

dgax65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Harris County
    >

Let me reiterate: Do visit us here in Louisiana, but stay West of the River or North of Lake Ponchartrain, and stay out of NW Baton Rouge & Shreveport.

We here in “Acadiana” have better food, excellent music, lower prices and much greater public safety. The small towns around Lafayette & Lake Charles have some of the World’s best “dining”.

Also, anyone desiring “Cajun” can just visit around Beaumont & Port Arthur, for a full dose of culture and some great foods, without leaving Texas.

And, since this is TGT, your EDC’s are welcome w/ CL’s, or you could OC, which has never been illegal here in LA.

The tragedy is inside Orleans Parish, and on l’ Isle d’Orleans.

leVieux
    It is the same story almost everywhere. It is usually the cities that have all the crime and idiot politicians. I hate New Orleans, but most of the people I know from rural Louisiana are great. Same with Texas. Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio all have significant crime problems because the local politicians pander to the communities that create the crime problems. It hurts the innocent people in those communities and threatens the rest of the state. You could say the same about CA, OR, WA, AZ, NV, CO, NM, OK....

Top Bottom