N00b to TrailCams: TrailCam battery life?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Speaking of game cameras, my son lives on 100 acres in Kaufman County. His father-in-law has Longhorns, chickens, a pig and all the usual stuff you'd have there. For some reason his father-in-law placed a game camera about 10 feet high on a utility pole pointed at an area of concern a few years ago. I forget the details but must have had issues at night. In a day or so my son sent me a pic of something captured on the SD card, and it had scared the sheet out of them and certainly out of me. A b&w pic showed a group of people dressed in all white, one stooping to go under a strand of barbed wire, all moving right to left. Wearing white conical hats and black belts, you could count the belt loops. I just don't remember if they were carrying weapons but can ask my son to recall details of all. I copied and shared the pic several places and kept copy for myself and the SD, my copy and people I shared with all now have degraded pic soon after. They all agreed this was definitely a pic of the group, but hell, in what time zone or dimension.
    It's not fiction to encounter crazies who practice magic (or they think so) or satanic cult. When I was in my early 20's I ran into some face to face. Lets just say them seeing I had an 870 probably prevented anything from happening.
    Venture Surplus ad

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Using 3.2v LiFePO4 18650's (if they make them?) is a hellofan Idea. I hadn't thought of that, even though I soldered/modded 3xAAA HF LED lights to take USB 5v in from a power-bank... I didn't know they made 3.2 voltage batts, maybe they make 18650's, or I could use a LiPO battery packs, and use more dummies.

I appreciate the info.

Hhmmm, Hampster-wheels are now a'churning.... 4.2v Lithium max, new 8xAA alkalines=12.8v max if in series, and now you got me researching 12v LiFePO4 car-sized batteries for other reasons, like when we are out there over night.

Initially thinking about camping there, roughing it, but with more battery power, we could probably go "Glamping" like a "Hipster"... :p
    Yeah, those 8xAA cams are in series, so 12v. They do make 18650 LiFePO4 batteries, but they have always been harder to find, require a different charger and have less energy density tham Li-ion. I have a few, but all 18650 batteries are more scarce than they were pre-coof...

The AA sized 14500 LiFePO4 batteries I buy are

I've had good luck with them, but they've nearly doubled in price since the coof...

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    En
    Yeah, those 8xAA cams are in series, so 12v. They do make 18650 LiFePO4 batteries, but they have always been harder to find, require a different charger and have less energy density tham Li-ion. I have a few, but all 18650 batteries are more scarce than they were pre-coof...

The AA sized 14500 LiFePO4 batteries I buy are

I've had good luck with them, but they've nearly doubled in price since the coof...
    enloop/Tenergy/Fujitsu LSD MIMH AA's are 1900 Mah batteries...
    You are definitely getting less, about 50% longevity using those bad boys... @ 800 Mah.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2019
    Texas
    Sorry for jumping in late, but if you want a proven camera with known longevity, I recommend Browning Strike Force. The ones I use are 8-12 years old and still take great pictures.
    If you don’t live close to your property like me, I’d recommend looking into cell cams.

Top Bottom