national carry bill

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by 045ACP, Dec 5, 2016.

1. 045ACP

045ACP New Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Austin
    http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/05/g...ional-concealed-carry-bill-for-next-congress/ Now known as the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017, the bill, which The Daily Caller obtained exclusively, would allow a person with a concealed carry license from one state to carry a concealed handgun in any other state that permits its resident to concealed carry, as long as the person is not banned from possessing or transporting a firearm under federal law. The bill excludes carrying “a machine gun or destructive device,” and the person must follow “the restrictions of that state.”

2. F350-6

F350-6 Well-Known

May 25, 2009
    Not a new attempt, but this time the veto threat seems to have been removed (we hope). Question is can Congress get it passed to present to POTUS?

3. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    After January, there is no reason not to other than incompetence.

from an idgit coffeeholic

4. PhulesAu

PhulesAu Well-Known

Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    LOL Do you remember republicans??? and their leadership?

5. Dash Riprock

Dash Riprock Well-Known

Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I understand why we would want to do this, but places like NY, NJ and California have so many restrictions on licensed carry already that isn't it almost a moot point that your Texas LTC would be honored there? Maybe if the law defined some common requirements that every state had to follow it would be of use, but then you're letting the Feds write even more state firearms law, and I don't want to go any further down that road than we already have.

Very mixed feelings on this one. This is one area where I'd probably rather take a page out of the left's playbook and shop it to friendly judges until the non-free states' restrictions get knocked down on constitutionality.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  6. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Hence my comment.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

7. Recoil45

Recoil45 Well-Known

Feb 13, 2014
    Other than NYC NY has carry but even still many outside NYC are restricted from carrying in a very odd way. It would take far too much time to type from my phone but here is the short version. In NY you cannot posses a handgun without a license, period, to do so is a felony. Since NY is a may-issue state they can revoke your license at any time for any reason. When you are issued your "carry" license in many counties the police department rubber stamps it with a "to and from range" restriction. If you get caught carrying outside of that you can't be charged with a crime, but they can and do revoke your license. It's generally 6-12 months. Now since you can't posses handguns without that license all you handguns need to be surrenders or transferred to another license holder. Everything is registered and there is no way around it. Now if you live in a county that doesn't rubber stamp your license you can carry everywhere in NY except NYC, you can even carry in counties that rubber stamp their residents license. If reciprocity passes your Texas license would need to be treated as a non-rubber stamped license. There is no 51% restriction in NY and signs don't carry the weight of law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Mexican_Hippie

Mexican_Hippie MODERATOR Moderator TGT Supporter

Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Not crazy about the Feds passing any laws regulating weapons or carry. Period. It's not their job.

They need to repeal all Federal guns laws.

9. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Moderator

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Bully!!!

10. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Wouldn't they need to establish a national data base of all licensed CC permits? How would LEO in another state know if your LTC was valid.