Join TexasGunTalk

National Gun-Carry Reciprocity Bill Moves to Mark Up in the House

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by motorcarman, Nov 29, 2017.

1. motorcarman

motorcarman Compulsive Collector

Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    monkeywrench7 likes this.
  2. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    TBH, I have some apprehension about Feds becoming involved in permitted carry.

The CDL program is a pain in the ass now that states are supposed to be in line under federal DOT regs, I'd hate to see the same happen with carry licensing.

3. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    I don't travel too far, too often, so I'm not as concerned with this and can see you're point, but on the flip side, if the CDL reciprocity was currently the same as it was for CHL, the trucking industry would grind to a halt in some regions, or transfer warehouses would become really busy and drive the cost of everything up in those areas.

So even if it's a pain, it's at least continuous across the US. And we won't have to read any more stories about the single moms who get pulled over in the Northeast and thrown in jail because they were worried about protecting themselves.

4. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Every State should have to give Full Faith and Credit to the official acts of every other State. If my Texas Drivers License has to be accepted in every other State, why shouldn't my Texas LTC be accepted in every other State? That's the crux of this. It's all about telling the May Issue States to choke on their scheme. Seeing as how all fifty States now have some form of licensed concealed carry, it's not onerous to have each of the States have to recognize and give reciprocity to other State's licenses. HR38 seeks to do that.

Furthermore, if HR38 passes, then folks from, say, California/NY/NJ/etc. could get nonresident carry licenses from some other State and then their home State would be forced to accept it as valid. Like I said--let the Shall Issue States choke on their bullshit.

monkeywrench7 likes this.
  5. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    True, but we may also see skyrocketing fees, NFA style wait times, reduction in testing facilities, increased class requirements (how many days of training could they push?)

I may be looking at the worst possible scenario, but allowing reps from gun hating states have any say in a national CHL bill would result in them pushing to make obtaining a CHL as difficult as possible.

gll likes this.
  6. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    That's not what this bill is doing. It's not setting a standard for how much training a State must require--i.e. a Federal standard. What the bill is forcing down state's throats is that they MUST accept what other state's have deemed sufficient.

It's forcing reps from gun-hating states to accept what reps from gun-loving states have decided. Cali/NY/NJ would have to accept what TX has deemed sufficient . . . or what ND or WY or MT etc.

It is NOT establishing a National License to Carry. It is making State Licenses to Carry be accepted by every other State. How can that be bad?

7. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    We weren't tied to the Feds on CDL testing at first either.

Nose under the tent and what not.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just volunteering as the token pessimist.

8. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    I'm asking because I honestly don't know, but since the Texas DL test is administered by the Texas DMV, I always figured they were responsible for the rules and regs and testing, not the feds. Is the DL test regulated by the Feds? I know that gets to be a gray area when the CDL is factored in.

I do know that having a drivers license in Texas for many years did not prepare me for a trip to California where I found a lane with hardly any traffic that had these funny shapes painted on the pavement every so often. I didn't understand why no one else was jumping in that lane like I did. I made great time on my trip and avoided all the traffic. I also didn't get pulled over. When HOV lanes came to Texas, it dawned on me why no one else was in those lanes.

Different DMV in a different state had different rules. I didn't think to check for any new developments before my trip (internet wasn't big yet), and while I didn't get caught, I don't expect that my ignorance of the local law would have gotten me out of the resulting ticket.

Perhaps national reciprocity will be like that instead of your version. Much easier to navigate these days anyway with the internet being what it is.

9. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A few difference I've seen

Testing is no longer administered at the local DMV. They've been shifted to hubs. Scheduling is more difficult and the wait times much longer.

If my medical card expires my CDL is gone. I must go through the entire process again. For some reason, not getting my blood pressure checked in time erases everything I know. This is part of Texas becoming aligned with fed regs.

Written tests are done on computer. It used to be you paid and tested until you passed. Now you have 3 fails on 6-7 tests (maybe more depending on number of endorsements) and you have to pay again. Didn't effect me then as I went in, passed them all, and was done. Some guys have more trouble. The study guides are crap, poorly written and sections are often not well matched with their associated test.

When these changes started it came up in conversation with my brother in law who works for DPS was at the time doing inspections near the border. He informed me that the changes were due to this DOT reg "alignment".

I see your point on standardizing laws, I just fear gun friendly states could take a hit.

gll likes this.
  10. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm not sure I would want to go to many of the gun hating states even if this were to pass, I'm sure I would still break one of their stupid gun laws.