• ...and so much more!
  • dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Correct. Fix NICS stands a chance.
    Hope not. Just more bullshit that doesn't fix a damn thing. Just a "feel good" bill so they can feel better and say they did something. And I hope to God any Texas Rep or Senator that supports it gets their ass voted out next term.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I don’t feel I am manipulated by those pushing fear. I feel like my eyes are best open to what is possible.

Trusting that our government at any point will deal with the second amendment in a reasonable way may be the REAL way that my trust and feelings are manipulated. I think I could do with a bit MORE outrage and paranoia than normal, IMO.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Hope not. Just more bullshit that doesn't fix a damn thing. Just a "feel good" bill so they can feel better and say they did something. And I hope to God any Texas Rep or Senator that supports it gets their ass voted out next term.

They are highly unlikely to get 60 votes. I don't see any Dems crossing over the line.

dogbone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Llano County
    They are highly unlikely to get 60 votes. I don't see any Dems crossing over the line.

There are ten Democrat Senators up for re-election next year in pro-gun states that Donald Trump won. How many of them will cross over is anyone's guess but this could be doable.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    GOA just sent out an email (Wed morning) outlining how the various scenarios could play out this week. The full House vote is scheduled for today on the combined bill. Their analysis leeds to the bottom line conclusion that it would be best if the combined bill would not be passed in the House. They didn’t actually say that in the email but they see that as being the best way to stop the ‘Fix NICS’ from becoming law.

Again without really saying so in ‘black & white’, they [GOA] appear to expect the reciprocity bill to fail in the Senate (under any scenario). So that leaves them mainly trying to stop the ‘Fix NICS’ bill - which they admit is an uphill fight (even when it comes back to the House as a ‘stand alone’ bill).

Cornyn’s comment about, “...combining them [the bills]...is to risk doing nothing” is a very sad commentary as to Congress’ desire ‘to do *something* (in light of the failed background check system so readily highlighted in the church shooting case)’. Congress is so worried about being seen as taking no action in the aftermath of the church shooting, they are just in a frenzy to pass *something*! Personally, I think taking no action is better than this legislation!

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    GOA just sent out an email (Wed morning) outlining how the various scenarios could play out this week. The full House vote is scheduled for today on the combined bill. Their analysis leeds to the bottom line conclusion that it would be best if the combined bill would not be passed in the House. They didn’t actually say that in the email but they see that as being the best way to stop the ‘Fix NICS’ from becoming law.

Again without really saying so in ‘black & white’, they [GOA] appear to expect the reciprocity bill to fail in the Senate (under any scenario). So that leaves them mainly trying to stop the ‘Fix NICS’ bill - which they admit is an uphill fight (even when it comes back to the House as a ‘stand alone’ bill).

Cornyn’s comment about, “...combining them [the bills]...is to risk doing nothing” is a very sad commentary as to Congress’ desire ‘to do *something* (in light of the failed background check system so readily highlighted in the church shooting case)’. Congress is so worried about being seen as taking no action in the aftermath of the church shooting, they are just in a frenzy to pass *something*! Personally, I think taking no action is better than this legislation!
    If the senate and congress came up with something tangible, and I certainly don't know what, that could have prevented the murders in Sutherland Springs without trampling on our rights, I would be all for attaching it to national reciprocity. Trying to combine things that are pretty much opposite to one another and then saying that it is good on the pretense of "Well, we have to do something" is ludicrous. The fix NICS bill is just one more step to banning all guns, it will not stop messed up people from doing messed up things.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    It looks like the Air Force had the legal obligation to report his domestic violence abuse (a UCMJ) conviction to the FBI - which the Air Force failed to do. So rather than “fix” a very specific problem, the Congress proceeds to try to come up with some ‘blanket solution’ that will cover all situations in all cases - (IOW, gun control). Cornyn’s has his ego wrapped up in this and now won’t pull his support from what has the very real potential to become a very bad backdoor gun control law!

It’s the ultimate “Unintended Consequences” (like the book by John Ross). If anybody calls themselves “a gun guy” and you haven’t read that book: shame on you! (I think you can find a link to find a free download of the entire book - a book worth reading IMHO).

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    If NR is passed.. I wonder which state will be the first test case... I imagine it will go to the supreme court.... because those states circuit of appeals courts are notoriously liberal. I know I won't risk it until a precedent is set and I feel comfortable.

The text of the bill that I read provides for "reasonable" attorney fees for defending someone against prosecution that violates the NR bill. I'm thinking that there will be some attorneys who will be just chomping at the bit to take the case to the SCOTUS and get $1M or more in the process. From what I've read, it's not that cheap to take a case all the way to the SCOTUS.

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    Every State should have to give Full Faith and Credit to the official acts of every other State. If my Texas Drivers License has to be accepted in every other State, why shouldn't my Texas LTC be accepted in every other State? That's the crux of this. It's all about telling the May Issue States to choke on their scheme. Seeing as how all fifty States now have some form of licensed concealed carry, it's not onerous to have each of the States have to recognize and give reciprocity to other State's licenses. HR38 seeks to do that.

Furthermore, if HR38 passes, then folks from, say, California/NY/NJ/etc. could get nonresident carry licenses from some other State and then their home State would be forced to accept it as valid. Like I said--let the Shall Issue States choke on their bullshit.

That's not the way that I read it. From what I've read of the actual text of the bill, it appears that you must be able to conceal carry in your home state by way of either a CHL issued by your resident state or some other state that your resident state also recognizes. If either of those two criteria are met, then you can carry in any other state that has provisions for a CHL (even if that state virtually never actually grants anyone a CHL). What this does is discriminate against the residents of a state, so I would expect it to get challenged. The current bill would allow someone from Texas who has a CHL from Nevada to carry in New York, but it would not allow someone from New York with a Nevada CHL to carry in New York. It also would not allow this NYer to carry in any of the other states unless it was covered by a reciprocity agreement. It only took me a couple of minutes of reading the bill to see this loophole / side-effect. Did the people who write these pieces of legislation intentionally make it that way or were they just so clueless of the written word that they didn't realize what they were writing?

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    I don't see a need to "fix NICS". The only "fix" that I could see is that it shouldn't even be a part of whether you are allowed to purchase a firearm. I'm a Strict Constitutionalist and as such, I believe that when the Founding Fathers said "shall not be infringed", they meant EXACTLY that.

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    Let's not forget that there are some "crimes" in the military that are not crimes in the civilian world. I would not be surprised to find that service members are more likely to be convicted at a military trial than at a civilian trial, even if the action he was charged with was the same in both cases.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Helo everyone . First time poster. Wanted to comment on HR38. As a licensed peace officer under the LEOSA I already have « national carry reciprocity » so this bill is pointless to me. But...I do see the huge benefits to the average civilian with a state issued permit. My problem as an officer is going to be in enforcement. Does this mean that ALL STATES are going to put their CHL liscensees in NCIC? What if they don’t? How can an officer VERIFY the individuals status? What about non-resident liscenses? There are far too many questions right now that I see going south without direct wording in the bill to protect BOTH the licensed person and the officer at the scene of a stop.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Another issue when the federal government gets involved. We all know about the slow crawl NFA workd when the feds are in charge. What about national reciprocity with them? They can slow roll anything!!!!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Helo everyone . First time poster. Wanted to comment on HR38. As a licensed peace officer under the LEOSA I already have « national carry reciprocity » so this bill is pointless to me. But...I do see the huge benefits to the average civilian with a state issued permit. My problem as an officer is going to be in enforcement. Does this mean that ALL STATES are going to put their CHL liscensees in NCIC? What if they don’t? How can an officer VERIFY the individuals status? What about non-resident liscenses? There are far too many questions right now that I see going south without direct wording in the bill to protect BOTH the licensed person and the officer at the scene of a stop.

What is the new/unknown danger to the officer in this situation vs now?

I definitely have my reservations about the Feds having involvement with carry licensing, but I'm having trouble seeing it putting police officers at risk.

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    If NR is passed.. I wonder which state will be the first test case... I imagine it will go to the supreme court.... because those states circuit of appeals courts are notoriously liberal. I know I won't risk it until a precedent is set and I feel comfortable.

The text of the bill that I read provides for "reasonable" attorney fees for defending someone against prosecution that violates the NR bill. I'm thinking that there will be some attorneys who will be just chomping at the bit to take the case to the SCOTUS and get $1M or more in the process. From what I've read, it's not that cheap to take a case all the way to the SCOTUS.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Good question: it can put officers at risk in cases where licenses have been suspended or revoked and without the individual specific license being placed into NCIC then how would the officer know that. Imagine an officer in Iowa pulling over a citizen from Florida while he was traveling to Montana? How would the officer know that citizen was just arrested and out on bail and that his Florida license was suspended?

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Ans let’s all remember. National Reciprocity has to pass in the US Senate. And that is a tall order. Doubt it happens.

Top Bottom