• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Not sure if anyone else uses Navy Fed out in Ft Worth but there is an illegal 'no guns' sign on the door. Since we were going in for an appointment we decided to leave our heat in the truck and address this later.

At any rate, I'm conflicted. I was joking with my husband. On one hand concealed is concealed and that is not a legal post. But on the other, we really need a mortgage loan

In all seriousness, I think I'll be sending a polite letter to Navy Fed addressing it. We have done our business with them for awhile and are satisfied with them as our banking institution. I find it ironic that Navy Fed prefers to prohibit the very people from carrying who have unselfishly sacrificed through military service.
    ARJ Defense ad

New Texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Arlington
    We had our accounts with NFCU for close to 20 years. For the life of me I don't know why we kept them for that long. They were constantly changing our addresses without our knowledge or permission. We were out of the country for over 5 years, and never got a statement, and I could never contact them. Finally, I was in the Ft. Worth area and went in. found out that they were sending the statements to a state I have never even BEEN in, let alone LIVED in!!!

Needless to say - I was none too pleased. Closed all our accounts; checking, savings (including our kids); cd's; the whole enchilada.

Now the "illegal" sign - seems to me you would be better served with a better banking company.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Shorts, I would certainly agree that you should check on why they have the sign posted or who put it up.

However, I've been with NFCU since 1985 and have never had a problem with them as far as accounts, addresses or anything. I just got a car loan that took me all of three minutes to get by filling out their on-line loan application. They have some of the highest rates right now for CDs and one of the lowest new car loan rates.

I would hope you would consider everything before dumping them as your banking source and at least give them a chance to explain the sign posting.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I think sometimes we're too sensitive to signs.

Places put all kinds of signs up and if the shoe fits, wear it.

If it doesn't meet 30.06 requirements then it doesn't apply to someone with a CHL. I ignore it and walk on by. And as you said, concealed means concealed so regardless of someones true feelings inside, it shouldn't be a problem. If somehow it comes up, they can verbally give you notice or not.

Of course, it would be great "if" someone would discuss why the sign is there. I think in most cases, the legal talking heads keep anyone from discussing it for the most part. Or they just have no clue!

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    The sign is not 'illegal'. It is not legally enforcable. I would probably not bring it up as it would probably lead to a legally binding sign being installed.

As far as NFCU, they've always been great with me. I keep my account open but have found USAA to superior in many ways. Heck, being able to scan a check at home and have it deposited immediately without ever having to send in the check is super convenient.

Plus, I can do all my banking from home so I don't have to worry about those pesky signs...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    The sign is not 'illegal'. It is not legally enforcable. I would probably not bring it up as it would probably lead to a legally binding sign being installed.

Thanks for the clarification; yes, that's what I mean to say, just used the wrong word

We've never had trouble with NFCU, knock on wood. We got my truck loan through them and we're doing our mortgage as well. We use USAA for insurance and consider changing finances there but no particular trouble or reason why.

From what I've read from a former NFCU employee in VA, NavyFeds are spotty as to who has signs and who doesn't.

Anyhow, I just wanted to throw this info out there. I know that right now since I have no lockbox in the truck, I don't like leaving valuables locked in there unless I can see the truck from inside the store. Anyone can do a smash 'n grab and I'd be both heartbroken and super-ticked my truck was violated and my heater was taken!

Other than NFCU and Bass Pro, I haven't seen any other signs in the places we've been running around.

Again, concealed is concealed ;)

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    You saw a sign at Bass Pro? I'm not a real regular customer at Bass Pro, but if it is posted, I won't even bother thinking about going back.

A place that sells guns, ammo, and has a shooting range posting a 30.06 sign really gets my ire up.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You saw a sign at Bass Pro? I'm not a real regular customer at Bass Pro, but if it is posted, I won't even bother thinking about going back.

A place that sells guns, ammo, and has a shooting range posting a 30.06 sign really gets my ire up.

Bass Pro is the in house "All firearms and bows must be secured upon entry". It is not a 30.06.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I second the "sign is not illegal". There's absolutely nothing illegal about a "no firearms" sign on a bank. The fact that it doesn't comply with TPC Section 30.06 simply means it doesn't apply to you as a CHL holder.

When you bring your issues to their attention, you're simply exacerbating a non-issue and inviting them to educate themselves on the law which will likely result in a compliant 30.06. Then, you WILL have to move your accounts or not carry.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport

I was thinkin along the same lines, you may return to find the "proper signage" which I've yet to see anywhere. Guess I need to pay a little more attention as to where they post it and see if I can spot one.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Even Gander mountain has a sign that says alguns must be unloaded, actions open.

It also says that it does nto apply to CHL holders.

Top Bottom