• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpolk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    I was think of ordering the NcSTAR Laser Boresighter universal kit (.15 thru .55 cal). I am including the picture from their website. I was just wondering if this product is easy to use, accurate (within reason), and fairly well made. Any help or reviews would be greatly appriciated.

Attachments

• TLZ-B.jpg
      TLZ-B.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 162

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've seen people use laser bore sights and I'm not quite sold on them. You can do a pretty good job of sighting in a rifle by just removing the bolt and looking down the barrel with the scope pointed at the center of the target. If you see paper, odds are you will hit paper. If you hit at 25 yards, it shouldn't take more than about 5 shots to zero the rifle at 100 yards. I can usually do it in 3 - 4 shots with a quality setup, depending on how gnats-ass I want it.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My wife says I'm a gadget guy and I guess she's right. Thanks for the input.

There's a joke that the US spent $1,000,000 designing a pen that would write in space, whilst the Soviets just took a pencil.

Sometimes it's better to just take the pencil.

I will say that a decent "analog" setup is worth having if you have multiple setups or move the scope around alot.

We use this at work: MidwayUSA - BSA Deer Hunter Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Duplex Reticle Matte with Boresighter and 15 Fixed Arbors

mpolk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    Thanks for the input. I tend to change things from time to time and I love to tinker. I am an archery bow mechanic and would love to become a gunsmith also, but it probably won't happen. BTW, I frequent your Pflugerville location some.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I got a free bore sight from Optics Planet when I bought my Eotech from them. Not the high end model you're looking at. Just a tapered pen like deal that you screw different sized plastic bushings in for different calibers. It goes into the muzzle.

I found it works pretty well. I used it to sight my Sako 30.06 after having it restocked The kit came with a reflective target for use during bright days. At 25 yards, I tuned it to be 2" low, which was very easy to do, since the laser dot is only about 1/8 - 1/4" at 25 yards. When I went to the range, I went directly to 100 yards, and only needed a few clicks up and to the side to get right where I wanted. Three shots. That of course could have been done with a quick look through the barrel, and 4-5 live shots at 25 yards, but I was pleased. The kit you are looking at looks to be much more refined then the one I have. I guess it just depends on how much you are willing to pay. Had I not got mine for free, I probably wouldn't have bought it, as I really don't do that much of that type of sighting-in.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That of course could have been done with a quick look through the barrel, and 4-5 live shots at 25 yards, but I was pleased.

If it takes you more than 5 shots to sight in a rifle then you need to question your setup. You should take no more than 2 shots at 25 yards, one to see where it hits, adjust, then a second to make sure the shot moved properly. I usually just shoot once, adjust, then push it out to 100 yards. It's wasteful to "make it perfect" at 25 yards, ballpark it and move out to 100 yards.

Top Bottom