NE Journal of Medicine: ineffective masks are symbolic talismans

Axxe55

TGT Addict
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....
It's an opinion article written by someone who is trying to inflate their importance in the health industry.

I seriously doubt any legitimate doctor, or health care professional, is going to take the article with any level of seriousness.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
Forum Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
San Antonio
No surprise. People have all kinds of talismans they cling to. GNC exists because of it. Fad diets are talismans. Etc.

Daily I tell people about potential complications from surgery or disease and they tell me it won't happen to them because of their chosen talisman.

Another example: the people who say their immune system or demographics data will protect them from COVID.

And yes, the talismans reduce anxiety.

rotor

Well-Known
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
Straight from the horse’s mouth.

May as well make folks wear protection amulets, so they “feel better”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These seem people published a letter on June 3, 2020 in the same journal where they "strongly" supported wearing a mask if people were going to be within 6 feet of each other. Go to your link and read their letter.
I am not saying masks are worthwhile or not, just your conclusion was not warranted.

pronstar

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 2, 2017
Dallas
These seem people published a letter on June 3, 2020 in the same journal where they "strongly" supported wearing a mask if people were going to be within 6 feet of each other. Go to your link and read their letter.
I am not saying masks are worthwhile or not, just your conclusion was not warranted.
My translation:
“We strongly support mask mandates.
Even though we know they don’t work in public settings, the sense of security they provide is comforting to the public.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BRD@66

TGT Addict
Jan 23, 2014
Liberty Hill
No surprise. People have all kinds of talismans they cling to. GNC exists because of it. Fad diets are talismans. Etc.

Daily I tell people about potential complications from surgery or disease and they tell me it won't happen to them because of their chosen talisman.

Another example: the people who say their immune system or demographics data will protect them from COVID.

And yes, the talismans reduce anxiety.
HA! You sound just like my Primary Care describing the effectiveness of my neoprene knee brace.

rotor

Well-Known
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
My translation:
“We strongly support mask mandates.
Even though we know they don’t work in public settings, the sense of security they provide is comforting to the public.”

You use the doctors to support your position and then don't use the same doctors when they don't support your beliefs. Best not to quote wishy washy sources.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
Forum Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
San Antonio
HA! You sound just like my Primary Care describing the effectiveness of my neoprene knee brace.
Personally, I tell patients to seek out any kind of alternative remedy for chronic problems. If you find something that works and doesn't involve overdosing on vodak or opioids I'm happy. I even tolerate acupuncture.

pronstar

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 2, 2017
Dallas
You use the doctors to support your position and then don't use the same doctors when they don't support your beliefs. Best not to quote wishy washy sources.
We’ve locked down the global economy and put untold thousands into the poorhouse based on the flip side of those wishy washy sources.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members