• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I shoot a lot when at the farm, I once shot 1,000 rounds of several different calibers. So I can save cost, I want a .22 semi auto pistol. Ive looked at a Beretta .22 at Academy for $299 that has a top rail for mounting a red dot etc. Any other suggestions? It has to be able to mount a red dot on top.
    Target Sports

TomCat0197

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Converse
    It really boils down to what fits your hand best and how much you want to spend. There's the Browning Buckmark or you could try and find a new or used Ruger Mark III with adjustable sights. It would come with a weaver rail for mounting red dots. Other options would be the Walther SP22, P22, or Mosquito. The SP22 allows you to mount rails for optics. The P22 and Mosquito offer bridge mounts that attach to the bottom rail. Any one of those can be had for about 350.00 or less depending on options and where you look. Since you are talking about high volume shooting, you might be best served by the Browning or Ruger. I have a Mosquito, but I don't shoot it much now that I have converted my Sig 229 to shoot .22lr.

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    Ruger MKII or MKIII. Enough said!

The MKIII comes pre-drilled and tapped for a scope mount and comes with the rail as well. Also the rail is low enough to leave on you can still see your sights.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    If you can find a nice used Ruger, MKII or III, you could add a Tactical Solutions upper. They are very nice. I have one on the want list to top off my MKI.

Also Have a Buckmark that is very nice, but the model I have does not have a rail for scope mount. There are models however that come with scope rails.

You can't go wrong with either a Ruger or Browning.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Probably nothing wrong with the Beretta, I just have no experience with that gun, and seems if you ask about a .22 semi auto, 9 out of 10 times you'll be told Ruger or Browning. I paid just over $300 for my Buckmark, however I think the railed models are a bit more. Rugers are in the same price range. If you like the feel of the Beretta, it should be okay.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    For just plinking there is nothing wrong with the Browning Buckmark or the S&w 22 series. I have a S&W 422 and it is great for plinking.

Now my Ruger Mark II shoots better than I do on any day.

Do not forget the Ruger single actions for plinking. They are great in that regard.

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    whats wrong with the Beretta?? Cant spend more than $350.

Nothing in my book. I bought the the 4.5" version of the NEOS back in January for $229 and blow through about 500 rounds every couple of weeks. You can pick up spare factory mags at cdnn for $9.99 and have a great time for a small price. Takedown/cleaning is a snap and recoil is nonexistent. Mine also eats everything I give it. Actually, let me clarify that, it eats everything but the expensive stuff. For some reason it didn't like the CCI MiniMags, but it loves the Thunderbolts. The last thing I really like about the NEOS is the magazine. It has a huge thumb button that you slide to the bottom of the magazine and then you can drop in the 22 shells. So reloading is simple. (Which is good considering how many rounds you'll end up shooting)

What I like the most is when I go shooting with my friends that have .40's and .45's. They stand up, shoot one mag of 7 or 10 shots and then I get up and blow through 5 - 10 round mags. Then they get back up, shoot another mag and then I get up and blow through another 5 mags. When all is done, they shoot 100 rounds and spend $40 or $50. I shoot about 500 rounds and spend about $15.

Anyway, if you haven’t already looked, Rimfire Central is a site dedicated to .22lr and had forums dedicated to every gun mentioned in this thread.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

I've also considered picking up one of the Walthers. Based on their weight and size, I think it would be a good starter gun for my wife and, when they get a little older, my kids. People will say they are jam-o-matics, but based on what I've read, most of that was with the early models and the early magazines. I'm just having a hard time justifying the price they are going for today.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    A 22 adapter for one of your current guns might serve your purpose.

Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    Ruger MKII or MKIII. Enough said!

The MKIII comes pre-drilled and tapped for a scope mount and comes with the rail as well. Also the rail is low enough to leave on you can still see your sights.
    What he said. There have been several other great suggestions here, but I have an old Ruger Mk 1 bull barrel that has digested thousands of rounds and is still more accurate than this old man. Dead-solid reliable, too.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Ruger Mark series. I prefer the MkII but any will be good. Good used ones surface frequently for $250-350. If you must have a new one, there is nothing wrong with the Beretta, my Sister-in-law loves hers.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Do you own a 1911?

If so, the Ruger 22-45 is the best choice. It feels alot like the 1911 and the controls are in the same places.

I have owned and heavily shot a 5.5" Ruger 22-45 for over ten years now and it has been stellar. Very reliable and very accurate...a total joy to shoot. Way under 350 bucks, too.

My brother and Dad also bought 22-45s around the same time (after shooting mine and loving it) and they too still love their 22-45s. Not a lick of trouble out of any of them. Gotta love that.

I'd look at the Rugers. In fact, I think the 22 semi-auto pistols are some of the best things Ruger has ever made.

- brickboy240

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    guys academy has a ruger mk 3 with bull barrel for $299. What yall think?

Sounds like a reasonable price. If you like it, go for it. Those Rugers are like the measuring stick for all .22 Semi
    auto pistols. Be patient the first time you disassemble it though.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I've shot the Brownings and Rugers. I prefer the Buck Mark because of better grips and better balance with larger sights for us older guys. The Rugers just never did anything special for me. With a holo sight and quality ammo, you won't believe how small the groups will get.

Top Bottom