Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I shot over 30 last year.
    MLD permit. And I have taken 8 at a feeder, although 4-5 is more common.

I stand corrected with thanks to TXSUT & his off Forum details.

Where I am from, the only people that shot those kind of quantities were poachers.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You are soooooooooooooo wrong. With a bolt gun you are not going to get more than one pig in a sounder.

Obviously there are going to be constraints, but for most people that aren't on management hunts and with regular tags... the bolt action is fine.

The pigs we've hunted break at the sound of the first shot, and into heavy brush. I don't think I could get off an aimed second shot on them with anything short of a M60.

We generally stick to bolt-guns out at the ranch, but we do take M1As and ARs.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Obviously there are going to be constraints, but for most people that aren't on management hunts and with regular tags... the bolt action is fine.

The pigs we've hunted break at the sound of the first shot, and into heavy brush. I don't think I could get off an aimed second shot on them with anything short of a M60.

We generally stick to bolt-guns out at the ranch, but we do take M1As and ARs.
    You just need to practice more on the follow up shots

I have done as well as 5 with a 6th mortally wounded on a sounder of 20. I will admit that it was luck in the sense that they ran the right way when they scattered , but I still and to swing and shoot. With a bolt gun it just will not happen at all.

You shoot a M1A, no reason you should not be getting at least 2 piggies every time you go out and see them:p

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The problem is the terrain, we have a narrow firing lane at the main hog area. There is a large opening that would be ideal rifle country, but nothing ever walks out there but the occasional coyote.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Well then you should bait the hell out of it

Because of the cows we have to do daylight shooting there. The piggies don't like to come out that time of the day. Coyotes will sometimes come out there, and we've nailed one at 400 yards.

Where do you find all these piggies? We've been in a pig drought lately.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Because of the cows we have to do daylight shooting there. The piggies don't like to come out that time of the day. Coyotes will sometimes come out there, and we've nailed one at 400 yards.

Where do you find all these piggies? We've been in a pig drought lately.
    Most of them are at work.

Find water{ tank, creek, etc} and bait that area. You can also put out a water trough and put 50-100 gallons in it. It will require taking a lot of 5-10 gallon cans or buckets in the truck out to it but if you really want the hogs, you will have to think outside the box during this drought.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    He goes to a pig farm! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    And 400 yards is a long shot on a small critter. brownie points

At 400 yards your reticule shrouds a coyote, but if he stands still and you know your hold-over, you are golden.

It also helps to use a .204 Ruger which is a freaking death ray. The round has like 5" of drop at 300 yards, LOL. That's what 4300 FPS will do for you.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Find water{ tank, creek, etc} and bait that area. You can also put out a water trough and put 50-100 gallons in it. It will require taking a lot of 5-10 gallon cans or buckets in the truck out to it but if you really want the hogs, you will have to think outside the box during this drought.

Again, the land plays so well to them. They have beds in an area that is heavily wooden and variable (creek bed) that leads to a water source. The source has only one real firing position. Perhaps we'd be doing some good to bait the entire firing line and wait them out. We'd have to cut back some of the cover to even be able to go prone.

We've been fixated on the feeders because of the track activity, and we've caught a few on game cam. We always get impatient and leave, which makes us miss them.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I have a Stevens 200 .308 in center feed and am very impressed with my handloads. Bought it to do a budget build up. Got a Chote tacticle stock and a Sharp Shooters supply 9 round mag on the way. Check out the final product here:
    www,yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1813749#post1813749

Top Bottom