• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    how much kick does a .308 have in comparison to a mosin 91/30?
    i ask cause i went shooting with my father at the local range for father's day and we shot his ar15, his browning .270 (which is crazy spot on), my sks (until i found out i could hit crap through irons at 200, im saying it is all the irons fault, haha), and then my mosin. After about 15 to 20 rnds, it was the last gun i shot, my arm was feeling the beating. It is a fun gun to shoot but I am looking at something to where I could put quite a bit downrange without having my shoulder get thrown out, it feels like a blunderbuss.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    how much kick does a .308 have in comparison to a mosin 91/30?
    i ask cause i went shooting with my father at the local range for father's day and we shot his ar15, his browning .270 (which is crazy spot on), my sks (until i found out i could hit crap through irons at 200, im saying it is all the irons fault, haha), and then my mosin. After about 15 to 20 rnds, it was the last gun i shot, my arm was feeling the beating. It is a fun gun to shoot but I am looking at something to where I could put quite a bit downrange without having my shoulder get thrown out, it feels like a blunderbuss.

That .270 kicks as much if not more then a .308. For real fun I've got a .416 Remington mag that has given one friend a concussion. It's capable of detaching retinas.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    ahh ok thanks for that, the .270 was easily bearable on kick. i know that if i took my friends to the range it would tear them up in a couple shots so i figure when i figure the 0 at 100 and maybe 200 yds, Ill just clean it up buy a spam can and set it away. i mean i want something where i can have multi follow up shots, for a full day at the range. not one that is cut short cause i feel like ive been at football practice again on scout team offense.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    If you know anyone that has a FFL you can order a .308 Remington 798 barreled action, basically a Mauser 98, and throw a cheap stock on and scope on it then go shooting. Midway lists them at $399.99

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    i was thinking about a stevens 200 .308, is remington better? ive heard the only difference between a stevens and a regular savage is the accu trigger, basically. and brand spanking new for 400 isnt bad, but then it kills my other gun choices so the options are really killing me.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The stevens action has alot of bolt on options after the fact of buying it where alot of others don't. The good thing about the rem. I listed is its a Mauser design which is lasted the tests of time. The 700 serries remingtons have alot of bolt on options also but its a lil harded to change things like the barrel. I would spend that lil bit extra on the savage just to get the accu trigger. Just my

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    i guess right now is not a good time trying to buy new rifles either with the cost of them being considerably higher. i might just hold off and wait a year. id rather fix up my sks and ar15, get a tokarev, and get a good amount of ammo before i pick up yet another rifle.
    thnks for the info though.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm telling you... get a good barrel and action. Don't cheap out, because you can always improve on a solid barrel / action.

Weight is your friend, as is a muzzle brake. We have the perfect gun for you at work. It's a Savage 10FP bull barrel, in .308, with a factory Miculek-style brake which would make it shoot like a .243 or .223.

Frankly I really dislike 270s. Sharp recoil, long action, and they generally don't shoot the greatest.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    do you dislike all long action rifles or just the runt in the family?
    and would a 308 be a better long term rifle or 30-06 for general shooting. by general i mean everything from popping paper to decent sized elk or small bear? or would a 30-06 be the better choice. including in your thought take into consideration of bullet cost as well, being a college student I can only buy like 40 rnds at a time anyways.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    do you dislike all long action rifles or just the runt in the family?

and would a 308 be a better long term rifle or 30-06 for general shooting. by general i mean everything from popping paper to decent sized elk or small bear? or would a 30-06 be the better choice. including in your thought take into consideration of bullet cost as well, being a college student I can only buy like 40 rnds at a time anyways.

I'd take a .25-06 or .30-06 over a 270 any day.

.308 is basically an improved, or modernized, .30-06. It's capable of killing anything in North America.

Get into reloading.

The upside and down sides to the action length are what give me another bias. If you are shooting for groups, or making quick follow-up shots on something you absolutely have to stay down on the rifle between shots. In a long action gun you are going to have to move away from the rifle or take the bolt in the face when you cycle it. In a .308 you are working with a short to medium action length so it's well within "tolerance" between the bolt and your face. You don't have to break cheek weld to cycle, which allows you to reacquire while you are cycling the gun.

The downside to some shorter actions is that it makes it harder to get the bullet into the rifling when you chamber it. This is obviously relative to how deep the chamber is cut, headspacing, and how much free-bore is in the rifle. If you have alot of distance to cover you will have to seat out a heavy (long shank) bullet quite far, and that can lead to set-back issues when you chamber it.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    i would want to get into reloading but i cant do that up at school and ill just be keeping my ammo and rifles in a storage facility. and i wouldnt want to just camp out in the storage unit to do my reloading there, not enough air traffic.

what also seems to be the going rate for a savage 10fp?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    i would want to get into reloading but i cant do that up at school and ill just be keeping my ammo and rifles in a storage facility. and i wouldnt want to just camp out in the storage unit to do my reloading there, not enough air traffic.

what also seems to be the going rate for a savage 10fp?

I think like $600-ish give or take $50, that's with the muzzle brake.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    that decent, quite a foreseeable christmas present. i also did not see that it was bull barrel, that is quite nice. what store in austin do you work at? i might have to stop by on my way up through to dallas

Top Bottom