• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    As High-Cap 1911 said, a .308 upper won't work on a .223 lower.

Savage makes a decent rifle at a good price and they have models with fiberglass stocks, rather than wood. I have a Model 110L that I bought back in 1968 and it still shoots under a minute at 100 yards. Their package rifles are a good deal and you could probably find one at Academy. Or check your local WalMart; the guys in Sporting Goods have a catalog of guns that are available from the warehouse. That's how I got the extra barrel for my Rem 870.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    ok i really like that Saiga, where to buy one? price? Could I replace the stock with a dragunov stock since its based on the ak action? What about a side mount scope?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    We have a Savage Model 10 with a muzzle break and bull barrel for $600 - 700 at Red's. All you'd need is a good set of rings and bases, and a $300 Super Sniper 10x scope. That's a solid 3/4 MOA rifle right out of the box with good ammo. Spend some money on a good stock like a B&C, Mc, etc. and you'll have a 1/2 MOA rifle.

Remington builds a factory 5R barreled 700 that is an excellent buy at $1000 new. The 5R barrel is widely used by military sniper teams, including our own, and others around the world.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    We have a Savage Model 10 with a muzzle break and bull barrel for $600 - 700 at Red's. All you'd need is a good set of rings and bases, and a $300 Super Sniper 10x scope. That's a solid 3/4 MOA rifle right out of the box with good ammo. Spend some money on a good stock like a B&C, Mc, etc. and you'll have a 1/2 MOA rifle.

Remington builds a factory 5R barreled 700 that is an excellent buy at $1000 new. The 5R barrel is widely used by military sniper teams, including our own, and others around the world.
    Didn't he say cheap?

frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I got a saiga 7.62x39, and it works great. I have heard the .308 is good too. Don't know if you're still looking, but I saw them for 549 at gilbertsguns.com, which is where I got my 7.62x39. FFL received my rifle in about three business days.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Didn't he say cheap?

He was considering an AK, which starts at $550 - 600 for the pile of junk Romanians. For the same money you can buy a bolt-rifle... then put $400 worth of glass and rings on it and it would out shoot any semi-auto on the market for the same price point.

Do you want something cheap and accurate, or do you want cheap and mall ninja? There's nothing a bolt-rifle can't do in terms of hunting that an AK or AR can do better.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    He was considering an AK, which starts at $550 - 600 for the pile of junk Romanians. For the same money you can buy a bolt-rifle... then put $400 worth of glass and rings on it and it would out shoot any semi-auto on the market for the same price point.

Do you want something cheap and accurate, or do you want cheap and mall ninja? There's nothing a bolt-rifle can't do in terms of hunting that an AK or AR can do better.
    I was joking

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    not a big fan of bolt action rifles, cant spend more than 650 either. Ill stick with the semi-auto surplus rifles, they havent let me down yet. Of course I need to build my ar-15 first.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

Alan,
    You are soooooooooooooo wrong. With a bolt gun you are not going to get more than one pig in a sounder.

With a bolt gun if you have 8 deer come to a stand{ this of course is if you are hunting on a MLD or other permit} you will not even get a look through the crosshairs at all of them, but with a DPMS LR308, one can{ providing they are skilled enough} drop all of them in under 15 seconds.

Just saying

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Maybe if you are hunting humans. Humans are one of the few animals that are stupid enough to remain in one place when you shoot at them. If that's the case, then the semi-auto is in it's element.

Deer do as well.To a certain extent, and it depends on the order you kill them in.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    With a bolt gun if you have 8 deer come to a stand{ this of course is if you are hunting on a MLD or other permit} you will not even get a look through the crosshairs at all of them, but with a DPMS LR308, one can{ providing they are skilled enough} drop all of them in under 15 seconds.

Just saying

But this would be illegal......

Top Bottom