• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • landin18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Houston, TX/// Edinburg, TX
    hey guys I have recently inhereted a 2001 yamaha 400 big bear four wheeler. I know it was used up until 2005, but had very few miles (it was owned by an older gentleman). I also happen to know it had not been moved for about a year and a half (or even cranked on to let the juices run). Shoud i scrap it or attempt to get it running again. Also does anyone know a good bike shop in the houston area that could help with that?
    Gun Zone Deals

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    If you decide to scrap it, I'll take it.

However, these are very simple machines and it shouldn't be too much of hassle to get it running again. You'll want to start with new oil/filters/plug/battery. Once you have covered that, say a prayer & try to start it. If it doesn't start, you'll want to clean the carb. Check the brakes once it's running, get those in shape if needed.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As mentioned, these are pretty basic machines. Pull the plug, dump in some diesel, let sit a day or two. Drain the oil, refill w/fresh (leave the old filter for now). Drain the gas, and the carb bowl, put in a gallon or so of fresh gas with an ounce or two of Marvel Mystery Oil. Crank, check for spark. If it has spark but won't run, spray a shot of WD-40 in the intake while cranking. If it doesn't fire, there's likely other issues - if it fires, then keep playing with it to see if you can't get it to run. Sometimes, a gas-soaked rag stuffed over the intake will help, too - but it's a VERY potentially dangerous thing to do.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    As mentioned, these are pretty basic machines. Pull the plug, dump in some diesel, let sit a day or two. Drain the oil, refill w/fresh (leave the old filter for now). Drain the gas, and the carb bowl, put in a gallon or so of fresh gas with an ounce or two of Marvel Mystery Oil. Crank, check for spark. If it has spark but won't run, spray a shot of WD-40 in the intake while cranking. If it doesn't fire, there's likely other issues - if it fires, then keep playing with it to see if you can't get it to run. Sometimes, a gas-soaked rag stuffed over the intake will help, too - but it's a VERY potentially dangerous thing to do.

I like your style

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Best moto shop I know in the Houston area is Motorcycles Unlimited. Every moto message board raves on the shop and I wouldn't let anyone else work on mine. I haven't seen a four-wheeler in their shop but they could probably help you out. I'd try Redneck's suggestions first and maybe save yourself the trip.

Top Bottom