need a good bike shop

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by landin18, Oct 6, 2009.

1. landin18

landin18 Member

hey guys I have recently inhereted a 2001 yamaha 400 big bear four wheeler. I know it was used up until 2005, but had very few miles (it was owned by an older gentleman). I also happen to know it had not been moved for about a year and a half (or even cranked on to let the juices run). Shoud i scrap it or attempt to get it running again. Also does anyone know a good bike shop in the houston area that could help with that?:gotme:

2. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    If you decide to scrap it, I'll take it.

However, these are very simple machines and it shouldn't be too much of hassle to get it running again. You'll want to start with new oil/filters/plug/battery. Once you have covered that, say a prayer & try to start it. If it doesn't start, you'll want to clean the carb. Check the brakes once it's running, get those in shape if needed.

3. playadam

playadam New Member

Oct 6, 2009
    waco
    bargers waco tx

4. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As mentioned, these are pretty basic machines. Pull the plug, dump in some diesel, let sit a day or two. Drain the oil, refill w/fresh (leave the old filter for now). Drain the gas, and the carb bowl, put in a gallon or so of fresh gas with an ounce or two of Marvel Mystery Oil. Crank, check for spark. If it has spark but won't run, spray a shot of WD-40 in the intake while cranking. If it doesn't fire, there's likely other issues - if it fires, then keep playing with it to see if you can't get it to run. Sometimes, a gas-soaked rag stuffed over the intake will help, too - but it's a VERY potentially dangerous thing to do.

5. gladi8r

gladi8r Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I like your style

6. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Thanks. Wrestled with too many tractors an' bulldozers over the years ta worry 'bout bein' delicate.<G>

7. Greg_TX

Greg_TX Well-Known

Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Best moto shop I know in the Houston area is Motorcycles Unlimited. Every moto message board raves on the shop and I wouldn't let anyone else work on mine. I haven't seen a four-wheeler in their shop but they could probably help you out. I'd try Redneck's suggestions first and maybe save yourself the trip.