• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    last July i was pushing 272-ish pounds. now im down to 240-ish. the only thing i changed was stopped eating any and all fast food. lately i've been playing alot of paintball and come to find out squatting/getting up and down is hard being old and still fat!! other than telling me to lose more weight, what are some good simple exercises to start doing to be able to get my lower half stronger/squatting wise. I still work a bazillion hrs so the work out will half to be done here at home.
    Guns International

6speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2012
    S.A.
    lots n lots of lunges, mary catherine lunges, squat and explode up doing a small jump, good 'ol squats against the wall, jump trying to bring your knees as high as you can. Some is high impact so it might be kind of hard for some folks.

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    lots n lots of lunges, mary catherine lunges, squat and explode up doing a small jump, good 'ol squats against the wall, jump trying to bring your knees as high as you can. Some is high impact so it might be kind of hard for some folks.

+1

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Cut whatever carbohydrates you can out of your diet as well as portion sizes; stick with only lean protein, veggies and fruit; and combine both strength training with cardio. It's as simple as that yet nobody wants to do it. I was a fat body for most of my life and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get completely slim despite being very active. I finally lost the last 30 lbs. when I did exactly what I just described. As you get closer to your target weight and/or become more active, reintroduce complex carbohydrates such as whole grain wheat back into your diet if you need some extra energy. Honestly, the best thing you can do for yourself is to concentrate on losing that weight as much as you can over just strengthening your lower body to make paintball easier. An overall weight lifting regimen will take care of that, anyways.

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot. Make sure you start hydrating like crazy. Drink water until you forget that your urine was ever a yellow color.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Texas
    My wife was 200+ after our second daughter.. She was at 150 in 10 months by following a simple diet like what has been posted, she stuck to an exercise plan, took a woman's one a day pill and lots of green tea for appetite control. She's now at 138, 14 months later.. Just be patient and don't give up!

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    My diet is not that horrible but i do know i DONT eat enough. I eat 2 poached eggs with Franks red hot sauce every morning and then eat something like a chicken sandwich or 2 J-in-box tacos during the day and whatever my wife makes for dinner. I stopped drinking sodas a long time ago as well and only drink water all day and night. room temperature at that cause the wife swears cold drinks help the food stay solid longer but who really knows.

it's funny though, being 6ft and 240-ish im full quickly and eat small portions. one downfall i have though during the day is smoking and eating Spree candies. Ive decided to start that protein and fruits intake and see how it goes. also gonna start the lunges/squats mentioned above this weekend. it's hard though to get motivated for any of it working 70-90 hrs a week. but damn that paintball is FUN!! wish me luck.....

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Look into the Paleo Diet. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change eating real food. Basically avoiding processed, artificial crap. Lean meat, fruit, vegetables, and good sources of fat (avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, etc.). Pretty simple, pretty straightforward, no tricks, no having to buy someone's "special" food system, etc.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hey Skeeter,

I'm at your old weight but at 6'1", it's not too terrible. You may have seen my Fitness posts where I rode 3,414 miles on bicycles last year. I lost 31 pounds then gained 20 of it back over the winter. Without getting into TMI, those bicycles seats broke my ass! I'm off the bikes until I can heal up. Unfortunately, my knee joints are starting to stiffen up today and I dearly miss that exercise. Exercise is not something that I do for weight loss. I keep mobile with exercise.

On the deep knee bends, I adapted what the the Texas Dept of Criminal Justice uses in their agility tests for officers. I have a lot of arthritis and the last deep part of the bend kills me. TDCJ has them do their squats from a chair which eliminates the last part of the bend. It works much better for me and doesn't hurt my joints! I get the exercise without damaging my knees.

I am a lot lighter than my father. He was about 375 at one point in his life and I've had to accept that with those genes, I'm never going to be tiny, skinny or without a belly. I'm very strong with 17" biceps, wide in the shoulders and have no ass. With all that bike riding, my legs are like iron bars! Then why am I so damned heavy? Because I'm supposed to be heavy. There are race horses and there are Clydesdales. I should be hooked to the Budweiser beer wagon.

My measure of success is my blood pressure. About 6 years ago, I was on Benecar BP medication. I tossed it out because I just don't need it, now. I just took my BP and it was 115/67. Teenagers don't have that level of BP! I was able to accept what is and see that I am how I am and it's programmed into me. I quit messing with weight loss and work instead on better mobility and good BP. I use the Harbor Freight blood pressure wrist cuff to measure my BP. My Doc laughed at my little BP rig but we tested it against his high dollar rig and it was deadly accurate. He even admitted that he was wrong.......first time ever! So, it's essential to follow the BP tester instructions but it works great for less than $20. When my BP is good, I am doing fine regardless of what the mirror tells me.

Summed up, I weigh almost every day but only to keep the trend under control. If I'm gaining, I get it stopped before it's unmanageable. I monitor my BP and exercise for mobility but most of all, accept how I am supposed to be.

Flash

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    All I can do is mirror what's already been said:
    Cut the majority of carbs out of your diet, lean meat is good. Ex. I order fajita's but don't eat torillias, but I still enjoy the fajita's and veg. etc.
    Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate, drink water regularly as it helps you shed the pds. Don't drink to much, get you a Nalgene bottle and monitor your intake. If your increasing your activity take in more. Don't over drink. 8-12 oz. an hour minimal activities, heavy activities up it to 16-20 oz. an hour. being hydrated will make you feel allot better too. Watch out for the fruit as those are high in suger, while in moderation it's not a bad thing. Just be careful with the amount. The biggest thing I can say that has helped me is you don't need to eat allot to survive, but in today's society people over indulge in food and portion size. I'm like a horse, put a plate full of food infront of me and I will eat it. So I have to prepare, and eat smaller portions. If you eat and you feel stuffed you ate to much. It's a hard balance due to the serving size of food most restraunts serve. If you can balance this you will see your weight drop. but it's not a diet, it's a life change. As soon as you drop the wieght and then start eating all your favorites you will gain the weight back.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Weight loss is simple if you follow a few steps and adhere to them without deviation:

1. Eliminate all refined sugar and high-fructose corn syrup from you diet.

2. Consume only whole grain unrefined food products.

3. Reduce high-fat products: Ratio should be 10 parts food to 1 part fat.

4. Ingest as much dietary fiber as your system will allow. Dietary fiber will cleanse your bowels, and flush all sorts of nasty contaminants out of your body, including cholesterol.

5. Ingest a Liver-Cleaning agent such as Milk Thistle.

6. Drink at least two quarts of filtered water daily.

The above yields results in which you can continue to enjoy adult beverages and a cigar!

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    One really really important thing that a lot of people overlook or just don't know(and this is assuming your not too old), is that getting your metabolism back on track is crucial. You need to eat 6 small to moderate sized meals a day. Also, do a lot of walking. Make sure you start slow as to not hurt yourself. Start eating whole fruits and veggies and and lean meats. Take vital vitamins. Don't take any of these BS artificial weight loss pills on the market. Many many many things that these things do to the body, influence TEMPORARY weight loss. Good luck and GOD bless.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Cut the food & drinks, get meal replacement drinks and hit the gym. Get a routine plan, there are tons available on the internet free. The hardest part is to strictly follow them. I am doing same right now so I am not loosing weight I am just loosing fats and increasing muscles.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Walk. Start on flat terrain and build up into hills. Pace yourself, don't overdo it. Once you have some stamina then start hiking trails, easy ones at first then more difficult with climbs. It is good exercise and you'll get some fresh air to boot!

That said, the most important thing is to develop a schedule for exercise and stick to it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Well after reading out the whole legend , i would say that losing weight is not as simple as people think about it . It is fact that they won't be able to leave their favorite fast foods which are the main cause of an increase in their weight . So they first need to follow the plan which is free from foods with fats , I mean addition of fruits and fruits and fish in diet can make you achieve your results . Next they should also go for exercise which is necessary to make them fit and healthy for a long time .

In this country, it is not the overcunsumption of fats, but the overeating of high glycemic carbs. It can even increase bad cholesterol.

TinKnocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Most of what's been said will get you there. I tell people that diets are temporary, while nutrition is a life style. Your nutrition has to be on point or it will be difficult to lose that last bit of weight regardless of how much you work out (this was my problem for a while). I've always been big, 6'6" 260'ish (I've been as big as 275lbs) and recently made the hard decision to completely change my life style. Now my nutrition is tons better and I rarely have a craving for fast food, candy/desserts, etc. I'm down to 245lbs and I've put on approximately 5lbs or so of lean mass.

Just stick with it and it will get easier I promise. When working out try to take as short a break between sets and/or exercises. Try to super set different exercises when ever possible. While cardio is important, you can burn just as much fat while lifting weights as long as you keep the body working hard. You might want to look into getting a personal trainer even if its just a consultation to get a better idea of low impact exercises that you can do.

Top Bottom