• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I work for a company that makes precision pressure measuring and controlling equipment. You can see our stuff at www.mensor.com. Whenever we have a decent job come up, I try to put it on here. We're in San Marcos and need someone to run our calibration lab.

We have eight technicians that do the pressure calibrations, but we need somebody who can help them when they have issues, manage them, organize our calibration schedule (we do ~1200/month), keep up with our various standards (electrical, temperature equipment, mass measurement, and our pressure equipment.) It all has to be calibrated periodically - some of it goes out of house, some of it is done in-house. Besides that stuff, there is a lot of technical things that have to be dealt with - uncertainty calculations, how to deal with customer units that are out of tolerance, calculating recalibration intervals, occasionally talking with customers about calibration techniques etc.

We're really looking for someone with experience in metrology who would stick around for a while. Our average length of employment blows the average out of the water - I've been there almost 29 years. It's a great company to work for and has excellent benefits - guaranteed 401k $$ + matching $$, health insurance (of course), dental insurance, vacation etc. and the costs are lower than many sub 100 employee companies because we're pooled with a sister company outside of Atlanta with several hundred employees.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested or have questions.
    Military Camp

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hey Robert,

I had a big grin when I read the OP. I did all of that for years at McDonnell Douglas and Sperry Vickers and later, taught the same subjects in a College setting. I have a Masters in Technology Education. Your job description looks like it was written just for me! I worked and later taught principles of measurement in pressure, flow, temperature, and other parameters. All calibration and certification was traceable to National Bureau of Standards (NBS).

I am too old, have developed roots in the East Texas area and San Marcos is too far away. It was fun to dream, anyway!

Flash

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Got a buddy who fits the bill, except I think he wants to stay in Cali due to family. He used to be a metrologist @ SpaceX, not sure what he's up to now.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Flash - your are too old. Lol. I still like your wisdom

Brian - dude. I've been working with SpaceX for the last six months. Trying to get our pressure sensors on their rockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Wow! This thread was an eye opener! I have so much training and experience that I've become smug about qualifying for a job. Damned few applicants will be able to "out qualify" me for a technical position because I have a lifetime dedicated to learning and training.

Comes the dawn.............
    I said "I am too old." and it had no il effects upon me. When you, as a person whom I like and respect said "Flash, You're too old!", Brian Adams' song "It cuts like a knife!" came to mind. Hell, that hurt!

After the initial shock, I decided to learn from it and turn the experience into a positive.

Believe me, I'm not trying to guilt trip you and I'm not offended, but it displayed a whole new aspect about getting old. Getting old is more than aging of the body. It's a complete mind Fxck that centers around removing the old fart from the main stream of activity. Getting old is a pervasive, continuous ejection/rejection! Hell, I never thought of it that way! An old fart can be put "in his place" OR change his place!

So.....what is the best ploy to survive to the end?
    Remove yourself from activities that compare age to reduced performance.
    Hang around older people. Hell, I'm young by comparison in some groups!

I learn something new every day and this thread taught me something. Don't let old age beat you down. Change your perspective, compare yourself only to others of equivalent age and ability and never stop learning and experiencing new things.

We all get to old age (or not). It's important to know how to deal with it.

Please forgive the Hijack. There were valuable things to learn here.

Flash

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    No offense intended - 'twas but a bad joke. Sorry for that - again, the internet fails instead of face to face conversations.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    No problem, Robert.....really.

The fault was mine. For a moment, I ddn't see myself as "old" and inserted myself into a group of young, upwardly mobile, career oriented people. The only possible outcome was rejection.

An old fart who hangs around young women and who tries to "interact" with them will immediately brand himself as a "dirty old man." One must always keep self image and reality in alignment.

Again, apologies for the hijack.

Flash

Top Bottom